You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Goat Spot    

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Welcome > Introductions >

Come Read About the Idiot...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2017, 09:37 AM   #21
goathiker
I'm watching you
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 13857 Times on 7653 Posts
Likes Given: 1303

CL has always been curable, they cure it in humans in 6 weeks. Goats just don't get the same attention.
The abscesses are infected lymph nodes. The infection is isolated there. No fingers or under skin infection.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #22
mariarose

Liked 262 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 441

I have used the formalin injection. Yes, it only takes care of that one abscess. If a goat does not have a severe infection it is possible that the disease can be isolated in only 1 or 2 abscesses.

CL does not have to be a death sentence, although I certainly understand people not wanting this in the herd ever, at all.

OP, there is a Mosby Ridge Rd very close to me. Are you in Metcalfe Co by any chance?

Old 06-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #23
Jessica84

Liked 5505 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by goathiker View Post
CL has always been curable, they cure it in humans in 6 weeks. Goats just don't get the same attention.
The abscesses are infected lymph nodes. The infection is isolated there. No fingers or under skin infection.

See that's what I have never understood! FROM MY UNDERSTANDING (correct me if I'm wrong) there is a "cl" for humans cows and even horses but you can cure it. Well I'm not sure bout the pigeon fever with horses but I do know a man that had a horse that had it and it doesn't keep coming up, so why so different with goats? I figured it did have something to do with the whole $50 goat BS
mariarose Likes This 
Old 06-23-2017, 04:13 PM   #24
MosbyRidgeFarm

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariarose View Post

OP, there is a Mosby Ridge Rd very close to me. Are you in Metcalfe Co by any chance?

I am! Hey neighbor! Interesting that you've used the formalin with success. Maybe I should try it.

Regarding "fingered" abscesses, I actually think that's what happened with the original buck that got it. We drained a HUGE abscess on his neck and I left him at the vet for a week where they kept it open and cleaned it. But once I got him home, there was still part of the abscess that hadn't drained and that reopened it. No fault of the vet, just those things happen with these really big abscesses.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #25
mariarose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosbyRidgeFarm View Post
I am! Hey neighbor! Interesting that you've used the formalin with success. Maybe I should try it.

Regarding "fingered" abscesses, I actually think that's what happened with the original buck that got it. We drained a HUGE abscess on his neck and I left him at the vet for a week where they kept it open and cleaned it. But once I got him home, there was still part of the abscess that hadn't drained and that reopened it. No fault of the vet, just those things happen with these really big abscesses.
CL abscesses have never been "fingered" to my knowledge. Did the vet send in the puss to test if it was actually CL?

I'm really close then, if you'd like us to get together to bounce stuff off of each other.

Who is your vet?

Old 06-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #26
MosbyRidgeFarm

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's funny you ask that about the abscess - we did have it tested and it came back positive. But my vet (I use Hartland Animal Hospital in Horse Cave) said it didn't look like a CL abscess to her so we were surprised when it came back positive.

But because I've seen it now in three of my goats, I'm pretty positive that's what I'm dealing with.

I would definitely like to meet you! Perhaps I should come to your farm though.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:27 PM   #27
mariarose

Sure! Feel free to PM me. I'm dealing with a husband hospitalized in Louisville for heart surgery, so I'm more than a bit scattered at the moment.

Quick Reply