You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Goat Spot    

Goats of the Month - Pumpkin Pie

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Dairy Diaries > Drying Up Before Breeding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 03:33 AM   #1
Itchysmom

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Drying Up Before Breeding

I got to thinking on how I would dry Sasha up. Do I have to do it before I breed her or can I wait until she is twoo months away from kidding? Also, if her kids are on her, will she wean them herself and dry up, or am I going to have to seperate the kids till she freshens? Which, BTW won't be easy but can be done!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2027 Times on 1294 Posts
Likes Given: 5733

Send a message via Yahoo to liz
Default Re: Drying Up Before Breeding

I can't help you with the kid situation as far as her weaning them herself....some does won't.

If I have a doe that isn't wanting to dry off readily the month she is bred, I go about drying her off slowly and will milk til she's at least 2 months along.

I leash breed, so bucky milk isn't an issue.....and a doe should be dried off at least a month to 6 weeks before delivery to be able to make colostrum for the new kids.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #3
DavyHollow

Liked 27 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 145

In my experience, the kids don't really get weaned by mom. They'll keep nursing as long as they can get away with it. It depends on the mom but mine wouldn't wean her babies if I didn't stop them.

As for milking, you can dry her off whenever, some people milk right through the kidding. I personally give most of the duration of the pregnancy for mom to break, but its not necessary. You can breed her while milking her, but the milk will taste/smell funny while she's with the buck and for a bit after. Just my experience of course.

Drying off is surprisingly difficult . . .

Fear the Goat from the Front, The Horse from the Back, And the Man from all Sides

............................... ADGA Alpines ...................................
................... Small Dairy and Pet breeder ..........................
........................ Central Massachusetts ..............................
....................... davyhollow@gmail.com ...........................
.................... http://davyhollow.webs.com/ ......................
............. http://davyhollowfarm.blogspot.com

Old 08-04-2011, 04:52 AM   #4
Itchysmom

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So, I am thinking that when I breed her, which will hopfully be in Dec, at that time I will just start drying her off. I am seperating the kids when the buck is here anyway so the doeling doesn't get bred. Plus it will be too cold for me to want to sit out there and milk! Then I can keep them seperated as there will be snow on the ground so I will be feeding hay twice a day instead of them grazing during the day and put up at night. This could work. Then Sasha would have the 5 months to dry up. Does that sound like a goos plan?

Old 08-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
goathiker
I'm watching you
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8923 Times on 4865 Posts
Likes Given: 890

The less time your goat is dry , as long as she's maintaining weight, the better for the health of her udder. Also setting patterns of short lactations can limit how long she will milk in later years. A normal dairy goat lactation is 305 days. I usually dry my does off at 100 days bred. A couple of them won't be completely dry when they kid, but, that's okay, they have no weight issues here.
Your plan sounds alright, a heatlight above your milking stantion does wonders for your winter milking attitude and frozen hands. The does enjoy it too and let their milk down easy while basking in the heat.
I personally, would dry cow her with some tomorrow if leaving her dry for 5 months.
On weaning, some of them will just keep going. I had a pregnant yearling nursing off of her foster mom last winter.
I've never had tainted milk from the my buck being in with the does. He's in with my does right now and I'm drinking their milk every day. He lives with them as much as he possibly can, only removed for the first couple months of heat cycles and for kidding.
What actually taints the milk is touching the buck and then milking.

I tried to be normal once, it was the worst 2 minutes of my life...

Old 08-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Itchysmom

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I personally, would dry cow her with some tomorrow if leaving her dry for 5 months

I am not sure I understand what you mean here. Can some one explain?

I did talk to Barb and she educated me about how a goat makes colostrum...so now I know. The light is a neat idea! Now to get hubby to do that for me!

Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
goathiker
I'm watching you
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8923 Times on 4865 Posts
Likes Given: 890

Tomorrow is a preparation that is made especially for dairy cows during their dry period. It is antibiotic and helps keep colonies of bacteria from invading the teat canal and causing mastitis during the next freshening. To "dry cow" a doe is to put in the Tomorrow and then seal her teats with a white glue. This is all done sterily to prevent contamination. The glue itself (elmers school glue) falls off in a few days but, by then the doe has keratin plugs sealing her udder.

I tried to be normal once, it was the worst 2 minutes of my life...

Old 08-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
WarPony
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 292 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchysmom
I personally, would dry cow her with some tomorrow if leaving her dry for 5 months

I am not sure I understand what you mean here. Can some one explain?

I did talk to Barb and she educated me about how a goat makes colostrum...so now I know. The light is a neat idea! Now to get hubby to do that for me!
can you share that info, i was just wondering about that myself. My doe who is due first week of october is pretty close to dry but my next doe will likely be a heavy milker and I was curious how that all works because of the possibility of her milking through.

Grade Mini Nubians and Mini LaManchas, Mixed Breed Dual Purpose Homesteader Goats, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, and More

https://www.facebook.com/pages/PhoenixDown-Farm/136510583125084

Old 08-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
Itchysmom

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Barb told me that the doe makes the colostrum when she goes into labor. That explains why some people say that you can milk a doe until she is freshned. You get milk, then when the doe goes into labor she makes colostrum. If anyone says different, please explain!

Thank you goathiker for explaining the dry cow thing!

Old 08-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #10
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2027 Times on 1294 Posts
Likes Given: 5733

Send a message via Yahoo to liz

I have had each of my does "dry" for up to 6 months, every breeding/kidding season for the 9 years I have been breeding and milking and have never used any antibiotics in their udders , I've not had any problems at all with drying them off and giving them a break during their pregnancies and each has freshened healthy.

NyGoatMom Likes This 

Quick Reply