You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Goat Spot    

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Dairy Diaries >

How to dry up 2 doe's (in serious need of help)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2017, 07:11 AM   #11
wndngrvr

Liked 340 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

If I want to dry off I do as Crazydog. I go to once a day milking and after a week or so I stop. This year I am going to try to milk a few thru - I have heard a few people say that their does dropped the amount at the end of the lactation and if they kept milking the milk came back up toward spring. But she has lamanchas I have Nigerians. I have a couple of very good milkers so hoping this will work for them. We also have cougars and a bear. Outside lights help I think - we have it pretty lite up around the pen area and I have Niteguards on all corner posts and on some trees further from the pens shinning into the wooded areas. So far things are fine. A neighbor lost quite a few sheep to cougars last year - his field is totally black at night. I also have a radio in my milk area and I turn it up a little at night hoping a predator would stay away if it heard voices. Such a worry.

windingrvrfarm.com Winding River Farm (FB)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply