Goat of the Month - Mollie

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Mini Mania > Difference between a pygmy and a nigerian dwarf?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
Nubiansrus1

Default Difference between a pygmy and a nigerian dwarf?

I have mostly larger breed dairy goats but I have a few smaller breeds that Ive been wanting to breed but have been unable too. Im looking into getting a smaller buck/buckling. I have both pygmys and NDs and probably some are a mix of both. That doesnt really bother me, nor does if they are registered or not. I would like to get dairy though and not meat if I am gonna purchase anymore. I found a craiglist ad for a 7 month old doe and buck, the doe is probably pregnant and they are a darn good price. I just wanna know how I tell if they are pygmy or ND. The seller thinks they are pygmy but I lean toward ND. I will work on pics...

Let me clarify. I know pygmy is a meat goat and ND are dairy... I mean as far as looks how do you tell em apart lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
myfainters

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Re: Difference between a pygmy and a nigerian dwarf?

They have different heads. Also a Pygmy has tiny little legs and is WIDE a true dwarf in that their body is a normal size for a small breed but their legs are very short. ... a Nigie has longer legs and a much more refined body type.

I don't raise either one so I may be WAY off... but that is how I tell the difference. LOL

Old 12-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
KW Farms
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1713 Times on 1089 Posts
Likes Given: 281

Send a message via AIM to KW Farms

A pygmy SHOULD be cobby, heavy boned, thick, etc. A nigerian dwarf should look like a mini version of a regular dairy goat, very well proportioned, refined. So think of an alpine...now just put that in a small version...that's what a nigerian should look like. A pygmy generally will be quite a bit stockier with more muscling, bigger boned, wider head, etc.

The problem is that non registered pygmies and nigerians don't have a breed standard so basically most won't look how the breed should look. You will see thick nigerians, lean pygmies, etc. So the biggest way to tell the difference would be to look at the markings and/or color. A nigerian can be practically any color, but a pygmy has very distinct breed markings. Google pygmy goat colors and take a look. A nigerian should never have those markings, unless you have a cross of the two or a mix.

If you can get some photos of them I can probably tell you what they are.

Info. on Nigerian Dwarf goat colors/patterns/etc.: Click Here
NEW: LIKE US on Facebook KW FARMS

Old 12-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Nubiansrus1

Im working on posting the pics here. The buck is white with a black mask on his face. The doe is a tan/and white splashed looking color. To me they dont look pygmy at all, and I have looked at the pygym colors and they dont match them at all. They both have the short small legs and smaller body. The female looks to be pregnant so its kind of hard to tell with her, either that or she is the one that gets most of the food LOL. I will post pics asap. Do you have an email I can try and send them too?

Old 12-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
firelight27
Hopelessly Addicted

Liked 196 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Send a message via Yahoo to firelight27

I raise Nigerians, and have a registered one that is pretty stocky. However, she has much longer legs and a beautifully long and refined neck and face. Pygmies tend to be "squatty" when compared to Nigerians. And as Kylee said, the best way to be the most sure is color. Of course, since they are not registered you very well may be looking at a cross...which can come in any color since Nigerians can be any color under the sun. Usually pygmies are grey or brown only.

This is a great site showing all the colors and showing the uniformity of build/type in purebred Pygmies:

http://www.npga-pygmy.com/resources/con ... amples.asp

See how chunky and short-legged they are? Although some Nigerians can be more thick than the ideal breed standard they are never that stocky looking and still a purebred. Although that page shows the colors of a Pygmy, I have also seen purebred Nigerians that are caramel or look somewhat like a black agouti (because they are black with grey roaning.) In fact, one of my ADGA registered Nigerian girls looks identical in coloring to the last photo, the mismarked, grey kid.

Countdown to Sherry's Day 145!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
firelight27
Hopelessly Addicted

Liked 196 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Send a message via Yahoo to firelight27

With those colors you describe, I bet you are either dealing with Nigerians OR, more likely, a cross of some sort.

Countdown to Sherry's Day 145!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Nubiansrus1

Can you tell in this pic with the doe? I have better pics but cant get them uploaded just yet.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
TinyHoovesRanch

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks like a nigi

Laura Kopp
TinyHooves Ranch
http://tinyhoovesranch.webs.com/
http://tinyhoovesranch.blogspot.com/

My babies are Jenny, Georgia, Little Lotus, Beverly Hills, Cookie, JuneBug, Margarita, Corona, and my Bachelors Jasper, Titan, and Moscato!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1988 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 5671

Send a message via Yahoo to liz

I have both...Nigerian Dwarf and Pygmies, look at my website... I have Bootsie who is a ND/Pygmy cross, classic pygmy color pattern with the length of a ND, she's also wide and has those short thick pygmy legs. Teddy has Chief as a sire(PB ND) and Bootsie as a dam...he's leggy, long and has more flash as far as color pattern, his pattern is not something a typical PB Pygmy should have. I will post a pic later of Heidi...she's my most "pygmy built" doe.

With that pic, the colors suggest ND. If you don't have a way of seeing the parents and they aren't registered, they could be a cross. The dainty legs and feet of the doeling suggest ND

Old 12-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
Nubiansrus1

I think she looks really ND. The clear pic I have of her even more says ND to me. The buck I think might be a cross. Id really like to post a pic of him. But my dial up is really bad. Anyone got an email I can try and send it to?

Quick Reply