Goat of the Month - Abigail Hope

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Mini Mania > How do you know your tattoo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 02:11 AM   #1
laststraw

Default How do you know your tattoo?

I know this has got to sound silly - and I'm probably over-thinking it... but, how do you know what to tattoo on your goat? This is our first round of births. Our AGS letters are LS2 and I understand that the letter for 2007 is X. So, do I tattoo them like this:

1st born: LS2X1
2nd born: LS2X2
3rd born: LS2 X3

And, if this is correct, how in the world do those of you with "real" sized herds keep track????

Thanks! ~ Erin

~ Erin
Last Straw Farm - land of milk, honey and wine... or, at least, goats, bees and grapes! Plus one perfect dog, two naughty puppies, several wily cats, and the precious memory of Daisy - our Gordon Setter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 02:22 AM   #2
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2001 Times on 1277 Posts
Likes Given: 5696

Send a message via Yahoo to liz

The tattoo prefix you were assigned goes in the left ear and the "year" letter in the right ear as well as the kids birth number...example, LS2(Left).. X1(Right) and you have the idea...but it is something how those that have a BIG herd are able to keep track AND tattoo all those babies! Can you imagine tattooing kid #30 or even 50? :P

Old 12-02-2007, 02:38 AM   #3
kelebek

Liked 357 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Send a message via Yahoo to kelebek

I am sure glad someone posted that cause I had no idea either - but I have no registered babies coming right now - as I don't have a registered doe

http://www.SouthLandRanchTX.com
SouthLandRanchTX@yahoo.com

Old 12-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

I should have been a bit more specific, The right ear has the kids number in birth order. If you have a doe kid with triplets then you record the number that they were born so you can get the number right in the tattoo...1st kid black doeling...tat would be X1, second kid gray buck...tattoo=X2, third kid...tat=X3.
The second doe to kid has a single so the tattoo would be X4 the number goes up with each kid it doesn't start over for each doe giving birth. Hope I wasn't too confusing

Old 12-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
laststraw

Not at all - thank you so much! I'm going to recheck the tattoos on our girls because I thought that they were just tattooed on the right ear. Are some people putting the entire tattoo on the right ear in case of dual registration, or do you add numbers/letters to one of the existing tattoos for that? Not that we're dual registering at the moment... just trying to keep our options open.

As I was typing, DH handed me the paperwork. I will have to go look at their left ears... According to this, Zuni has W64 in her right ear and PWP1 in her left ear. I'm thinking that's backwards: PWP1 should be the heard ID I am pretty sure. Was the letter for 2006 a W? Then she was the 64th birth at Prairie Wood in 2006. That seems about right since that is a large ranch. Does this make sense?

~ Erin
Last Straw Farm - land of milk, honey and wine... or, at least, goats, bees and grapes! Plus one perfect dog, two naughty puppies, several wily cats, and the precious memory of Daisy - our Gordon Setter.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
laststraw

I looked at the paperwork and Zuni seems to be tattooed backwards, but I'll have to go check her left ear. This paper says: right ear W64 (was W the letter for 2006?) and left ear PWP1 which should be the Prairie Wood herd ID I think.

So, how do you add numbers/letters if you dual register? Not that we're dual registering right now, but keeping our options open.

~ Erin

Old 12-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #7
laststraw

I'm having difficulties posting today - don't know why... It keeps throwing me out and not showing me if my posts went through. If I shut down my browser and log back in, things are showing up... I have some chores to do and will check back later...

Thanks for the help, Liz!!! Since tattoos are permanent, I want to get this right!

~ Erin

Old 12-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #8
hornless

Send a message via AIM to hornless

Liz is correct, I think. can't remember what goes in what ear though. There's also microchipping... that's what I'm plannig on doing. A little less stressful than tatooong, IMO.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #9
Sweet Gum Minis

Send a message via AIM to Sweet Gum Minis

I don't know if someone already clarified this or not but you put the herd tattoo in the RIGHT ear, individual goat in the LEFT ear.

So for example, my newborn doeling would be:
Right Ear : SGM1 (for my farm)
Left Ear : X20 (since she's the 20th kid born this year, X for the year.

P.S. This is for ADGA, AGS & NDGA, always put yourself in the goat's position. It's the goat's left ear and the goat's right ear etc.

Registered Nigerian Dwarf & Mini-Mancha Dairy Goats in South Carolina

Old 12-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #10
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

Thank you Ashley!! See, typical Liz, got it backwards. I even had the booklet in front of me and STILL got it backward, blonde moment...DUH.

Laststraw...please DISREGARD my left/right "instructions" obviously your does tattoos are correct....after 64 kids, I don't think her previous owner would have made that mistake! LOL.

Sorry about the mis-information....next time I post on something this serious I'll double check before "I put my foot in my mouth" so to speak.

BTW....You can double register with the SAME tattoo prefix as long as the one given by , NDGA for example is available with other organizations such as AGS and ADGA. Mine is DAH with both registries.

Quick Reply