Goat of the Month - Mollie

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Meat Market > Clipping boer goat does....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
HoosierShadow

Liked 1829 Times on 1108 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default Clipping boer goat does....

So I am full of questions, but just curious.....
I know that your supposed to just clip the long hairs, and just even them up, but me and my husband were talking and wondering....

can you use the 'people' clippers on goats? My husband has a set that is fine, but wants to get a new set and we were wondering if it would be fine for using on goats. He has all the attachments. We would love to avoid needing to buy an expensive set just to trim up goats now and then, although I know I'd love to give my buck a good clipping this summer....

Also, how long should a doe's coat be? Most of the does I see look like they have very short coats.

The earliest my kids would show would be the first or second weekend in June, and their doe's will be 6 months old & others would be around 4 1/2 months old.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
()relics

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Re: Clipping boer goat does....

Goat hair is fairly coarse. I would think beard trimmers would have a rough time with them.
Depending on your area and the type of show you will be attending, there are 100's of methods of clipping does. Some 4H programs prefer the "not alot of fitting" approach but then a sanctioned show would Prefer the "highly fitted" approach. As far as hair length, every goat has a different Hairstyle, just like people. You have to look at the animal and try to choose the best "look" for your specific animal, obviously we are only talking about breeding stock because wethers are always slick sheared.
I try to highlight the strong points of my does and Cover the weaker points. All my does are clean 2 teated, so I closely trim their udder area and rear around their "female pieces" so the judge has EVERY oppotunity to see her perfectly clean reproductive parts. Also you might want to trim a distinct line between her hoof and leg, again to highlight her "clean" leg. If you think she has a good feminine neck you might want to trim it slightly to again highlight it for the judge to Notice. Like you said clip all extra long hairs, especially around the face areas, trying to blend evrything into a flat looking coat.
I guess you could say that there is no Universally preferred method for fitting a show doe....You may want to grab her and clip her asap, weather allowing, so you get a better feel for how she looks and how you want her to look...Try to do it a long time before your first show, so the hair can grow back if it doesn't look like you wanted it to...Take some notes and pictures then retrim her a week or so before your show....Every show I have ever attended there is always a doe that is "Over fitted/clipped"....I would guess you would have a better shot to win with a doe that came straight out of the pasture than you would by over clipping...At least at the 4H level or local show...JMO...I almost forgot The Most Important Thing....Do Not let a dairy goat person near your goat with a clippers in their hand....I can almost guarentee you will end up with a really nice looking dairy goat when they are finished...

Boer Goats, Quarter Horses, German Shorthaired Pointers, Weimaraners....Breeding and show stock available. Training for animals AND people...
USBGA, ABGA,IBGC,AQHA, NSTRA,NAVHDA,DU,PF,APA

Old 03-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
DulmesFamilyBoers

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Last year was our first year showing at the 4H level. We were the first boer goats at our Sheboygan County Fair, so NO competition. We were not ready to invest in a goot clipper last year so I did like you mentioned, used our old "human kid" clipper for the goats, and bought a new $25 clipper for my boys. It did the trick on our 3 month old kids, but was harder on our yearling doe who had a lot more hair. It worked though. Our first weather we sell this year, we will be buying a clipper! We only had 3 goats to clip last year, but could have 6-8 this year. If I remember right, we just clipped them even, and then cleaned up the long hairs on the face, and definitely in and around the ears. We trimmed the hair at the hoof too, although I would love to hear what the trick is to this. Do you use a scissors or the clipper to get that distinct line at the hoof?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
()relics

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I take the guard off my clipper and then carefully cut the line...This makes the leg, pastern/fetlock, above the cut looks bigger because the clipper cuts straight down through the layers of hair and then ends abruptly at the hoof... Trying to make some places look bigger and some places look smaller....and alot of show sheen....But fitting is the subject for another thread.

Boer Goats, Quarter Horses, German Shorthaired Pointers, Weimaraners....Breeding and show stock available. Training for animals AND people...

Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
StaceyRosado
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2533 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 551

she is asking about fitting so this thread is just perfect for discussing it.

I personally have no real knowledege of how to clip a boer goat but I did for my friend's wether and he did well at show. I listened to what other people wrote on the forum and tried to emulate it best I could on their wether.

Which guard number do you usually use? I am use to both human clippers (Im a hair stylist) and animal clippers (im also a dog goomer) and both of these have differing number systems for the size of the blade guard. So which do you use? a human clipper or a dog/animal clipper? Do you clip with the grain of hair or against?

I know with humans and a goat dairly clip you clip against the grain of hair creating the shortest clip you can with that attachment. But with dogs you clip WITH the grain. Both give you a much different look. Just wondering how you clip boers because Im sure to have to do it again and I want to do it right.

End of The Line Farm
http://agirlandhergoats.blogspot.com/
Facebook fan pag

Old 03-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
AlaskaBoers

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'll post after school

Old 03-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
StaceyRosado
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2533 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Thanks Katrina

End of The Line Farm
http://agirlandhergoats.blogspot.com/
Facebook fan pag

Old 03-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
toth boer goats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3927 Times on 2907 Posts
Likes Given: 7393

Quote:
I try to highlight the strong points of my does and Cover the weaker points
I agree....

If you rather have the over all...short hair appearance.... shave the hair down short and close...way in advance of a show... so ...the hair has time to grow back enough.. to make them smooth looking and hide the shaving marks....
Located in northern ca
selling Registered Fullbloods to commercial stock
http://tothboergoats.com/

Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
HoosierShadow

Liked 1829 Times on 1108 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Wow thank you all so much! I greatly appreciate it. I will wait until mid April and practice a little on the older does, hehe!!!! We'll see how the clippers work and if they aren't good, then invest in a better pair. I was just hoping since hubby wants to replace them anyway, that we could give it a try with the old pair at least until I have the extra $$ to sink into a nice pair of clippers for animals. Sound like a good idea?

I'm still new at trying to find strong/weak points <I am even lousy with horses - and I have been doing conformation pics for the past 4 years!>.

Knowing what guard size to use would be great, for human and animal clippers.

I know that looking at pictures will help too, so I'll make sure we study pictures before we do it, but just making sure we have the right gear to get started I know I'll be asking for more advice when the time comes to give it a try, and see what you all think with before/after shots.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
()relics

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyRoop
...... my friend's wether and he did well at show.

Which guard number do you usually use? I am use to both human clippers (Im a hair stylist) and animal clippers (im also a dog goomer) and both of these have differing number systems for the size of the blade guard. So which do you use? a human clipper or a dog/animal clipper? Do you clip with the grain of hair or against?
First off. Clipping a meat wether is simple. He needs to be slick sheared from his skull back. Some people, me included, stop at their hocks and also leave a tail tuft. Simple...shear him as close as you can. I do it free hand with No Guard. You want him to look smooth and the judge to be able to see his flesh and when he touches the goat he wants to feel flesh not fur. Sometime on a smaller wether you can leave the hair alittle longer to make him look bigger. Some shows do not require slick shearing but it is a good idea.
Second trimming does: As I said earlier there is No Universal way to trim them as every animal is different. So I try to trim them All Over in the early spring, like right now. I use a #3 guard because I am not trying to shave them but rather just even up all the hair length. As I trim I try to picture her strengths to faults and begin to , again Picture, how I will give her a final Show Clip. Again highlighting the strengths and hiding the weakness.
As show day nears, usually 2 weeks or so out, she get her final clip. I want her to have a flat even look with No Long Hairs or "fringes". I want to neatly clip her udder, underside and backside, all to highlight her reproductive organs. I always take extra time to trim a neat line on her hoof junction. So when I am done she looks flat coated and as neat as possible. Some doelings need little trimming, just the long hairs and fringes and reproductive areas while older does can require alot of work. I have and use 3 different guards #1-3 and also trim free hand with no guard at all, What order and exact guard I use is completely random on every goat depending on where I start and the desired look....I trim for awhile then step back to have a look at her. I trust my eye more than I trust a set of step-by-step instructions. The day of the show there is always the extra long hair or "jacked up spot" that needs to be touched up, but nothing major.
I am attaching a picture of my son's FB doeling. She is just 1 year old in the picture, and is not at all posed, but you get the idea of her flat coat look and her closely trimmed neck and "privates" and her hoof seam...He fitted her himself, he is 12. Kind of scary watching a 12 year old wield a running clippers around one of My does,but he did a fairly good job....Dad only had to "retouch" a few spots when he wasn't looking. She is 2 days away from our fair show. All she needs yet is an all-over brushing and a coat of show sheen. A hoof cleaning and polishing and then off to the ring. Her fault? Legs are too long making her depth look smaller and unfortunately there is no way to Clip that out. She is a different looking animal today. After having twins in November she is better conformed and he will be showing her again this year starting in April. I will be doing the clipping for sanctioned shows.

Quick Reply