Goats of the Month - Peanut & Puddles

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Meat Market > Cost of Boer goats?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
Frozenloc2

Default Cost of Boer goats?

I'm wondering how much people pay for baby boer goats? Do people like to buy a baby or a herd of adults to be butchered? Do people actually have them as pets? I'm into the mini's but I'm very curious about the meat goats lately. Can you milk them also or just for meat?

Andrea
http://www.bayacres.net

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
goatnutty

Liked 29 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Re: Cost of Boer goats?

Well right now around here a grade weather kid is $75 each.Does and bucks are $100+.That is if they aren't registered.Registered stock goes about the same for weathers and $150 at the least for does.$200 at least for bucks mostly.If you are definatley thinking about starting a large herd of them then go ahead and get several at once but if your unsure only get 1 or 2.I use them as pets and for meat as well as shows.Ihave never milked one but that doesn't mean you can't.

Raising boer goats in beautiful Southeastern Indiana!
http://krausboergoats.webs.com/

Old 04-16-2008, 01:21 AM   #3
goathappy

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Send a message via AIM to goathappy Send a message via MSN to goathappy Send a message via Yahoo to goathappy

I sell mine at $100-$150 a piece depending upon quality, my brother sells for $175-$250. That is for does, bucks are usually $150-$175. Wethers are sold by the pound. You can have boers as pets, they are very calm and sweet. We've never milked the boers, but I don't know why you couldn't. As far as meat goes, most people just buy it out of the freezer from us, but you can buy wethers and raise them also.

~Sarah~
Sandy Lane Dairy Goats
ADGA Registered LaManchas, Oberhasli and Saanens
My Blog | Flickr

Normal is just the average of odd

Old 04-16-2008, 03:26 AM   #4
kelebek

Liked 357 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Send a message via Yahoo to kelebek

I personally just got "into" the whole Boer thing along with my minis. We did it for meat for the family, but now people are finding out what we are up to and want meat also - so may need to increase my herd.

My buck is a 90/10 Boer/Spanish - my girls are 50/50 boer/saanen and the other is 75/25 boer/saanen. I am supposed to be getting another one that is 50/50 Boer Nigerian. I heard that these can be awesome milkers and great meat - so we will see how her off spring are.

My two Saanen Boer girls were bred by the "almighty Gabe" who learned how to get on the barn roof and jump down into the doe pen and bred everything in sight - including my boers - DARN IT!

http://www.SouthLandRanchTX.com
SouthLandRanchTX@yahoo.com

Old 04-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Frozenloc2

I went to a auction last night. Alot of the boer goats were were lame in there backend. Very weak behind! Isn't that a disease? Also, a couple nice looking boer babies went thru, just weaned and sold for $40 each. Is that real good?

Andrea

Old 04-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
kelebek

Liked 357 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Send a message via Yahoo to kelebek

When you see them at auction - you have to be very careful. They can pick up disease and infections very easily there.

I know with my babies,when I had triplets, one was weak in the backend, and it was a selenium deficiency. I gave him BoSe right after he was born and he bounced back - but from what I was told - it had to get into him immediately to correct itself. If it is from selenium deficiency, it is called white muscle disease.

http://www.SouthLandRanchTX.com
SouthLandRanchTX@yahoo.com

Old 04-17-2008, 12:37 AM   #7
alyssa_romine

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Send a message via Yahoo to alyssa_romine

My first piece of advice would be to stay away from sale barns. Also...I have milked my older boer doe...cant say much about it since I dont drink goat milk...I didnt milk her all the way out, just a little for the colostrum.

I sell my wethers for $50, bucks for $75 and does for $100-$150

Alyssa Harder
Breeder of Registered Myotonic(Fainting) Goats
http://www.br8kndawn.com/

Old 04-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
Frozenloc2

thank you everybody for your replies

Andrea

Old 01-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
kccjer
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2648 Times on 1614 Posts
Likes Given: 2883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenloc2 View Post
I went to a auction last night. Alot of the boer goats were were lame in there backend. Very weak behind! Isn't that a disease? Also, a couple nice looking boer babies went thru, just weaned and sold for $40 each. Is that real good?
If you are careful what you are doing, auctions can get you some excellent bargains. Weaned boer babies go for between $2.00 and $2.50 a pound here...so $40 was probably a pretty good deal depending on the quality. When buying at the sale barn pay attention to the health of ALL the animals in the pen you are looking at....coughing? lumps that might be CL? Thin, hunched backs, lame, overgrown hooves, etc. Look at udders closely...huge teats or uneven, etc, Educate yourself as to what good quality is. You don't want to get home with a goat that has a lot of conformation issues. Registered stock here is outta my price range....$500 for does and $1000 for a buck! I can pick up some decent commercial does for between $100 and $150....sometimes less. Oh, and you should probably quarantine anything you buy at an auction (I don't but have gotten real lucky so far)

Carmen
Co-owner and operator of Oleo Acres LLC

Old 01-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
kccjer
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2648 Times on 1614 Posts
Likes Given: 2883

Oh, and Boers are a "traditional" meat goat. You may have some that are ok for milking, but for the most part you won't get much out of them. Crossing them with a milk goat will often get you one that milks fairly well andstill hang a decent carcass.

Carmen
Co-owner and operator of Oleo Acres LLC

Quick Reply