The Goat Spot - Goat Forum

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum (http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/)
-   Health & Wellness (http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f186/)
-   -   Age you stop breeding? (http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f186/age-you-stop-breeding-144732/)

nameless_alice 04-10-2013 07:15 PM

Age you stop breeding?

I am just curious at what age do does generally stop breeding?
Do you guys have a certain cut off age wise or just let them keep having kids until they don't become pregnant anymore? :ponder:

ETDairygoats 04-10-2013 07:37 PM

I would stop breeding at 9 - 10 yrs old. Depends if they are a standard sized or mini goat. I'm not sure if the doe actually stops breeding. You may want a more experienced member to help you with that;)

TrinityRanch 04-10-2013 07:44 PM

I wouldn't go for more than 12 years old, though it depends on the doe. They don't stop breeding necessarily, but I've heard a lot have abortions or hard pregnancies with age. If you have a large, healthy doe who gets around well, then you could breed her until she's 12 or so. If you have an older one who tends to be slower or exhausted with babies, then consider stopping her at 8 or 10.

NavaBoerFarm 04-10-2013 08:13 PM

I have a 7 year old that didn't take this year (I think) I was wondering if it was her age... But since others say 10 or 12 maybe it was something else

CashmereGoatBreeder 04-10-2013 08:27 PM

When they are small skinny

But age dose not really have anything to to with it

ksalvagno 04-10-2013 08:48 PM

I assess what condition the goat is in. How she did the previous year.

lottsagoats 04-10-2013 08:55 PM

Depends on the doe. All mine stay actively breeding and in top health well into their teens.

nameless_alice 04-11-2013 07:10 PM

Thanks for all the input. ;)
I am looking at some really nice FB Boer does that are around seven or eight in great shape for a nice price.
They kept quite a few younger does over the past couple of kiddings and are just selling some of their older girls.

@NavaBoerFarm I had several does that I thought didn't take last fall as well.
They are all does I've had for a while and thought maybe it was age too.
As of last week they all started a bag and look like they ate the other goats. So They apparently just bred later than the rest.

happybleats 04-11-2013 07:38 PM

Our cut off year is 10. Sooner if mom struggled her last kidding. Our eldest doe here is 12 and she kidded last season..( wasnt going to breed..but she decided it was going to happen) anyway..I had to pull the Doe from her she tried hard..pushed like crazy but nothing happened..this year we flat out told her no more lol..we both survived breeding season...
Does can come in heat until they die...: )

nameless_alice 04-11-2013 08:15 PM

@ Happybleats sounds like your doe was very determined, after she had so much trouble, I'm glad she didn't manage to sneak out on you this year.
I didn't realize they would keep coming in and breeding forever like that.
How soon after breeding would a doe start having a pooch and be able to feel the knot in their belly?
With the does I've had for a while I can easily tell when they are pregnant.
I've recently purchased a doe that I just have this gut feeling about. lol
I meant to get pics of her last night then the storms happened.
She is somewhere around 9 years old. Her lady bits look slightly puffy, DH said she was probably just coming in.
I put two different bucks with her, and they completely ignored each other so I'm pretty sure not in heat. :confused: