Goat of the Month - Abigail Hope

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > Baby goat diarrhea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
rustinsmommy

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Baby goat diarrhea

I have a bottle baby that i've been giving doe's match formula to since about 2 days old. she is now 9 weeks old.Everything went fine and she is healthy and growing, but this week she started getting diarrhea.She doesn't appear to be bloating and has a good appetite. I am feeding her 20 oz of formula, once a day and she is eating grass and nibbles grain sometimes.I gave her some safeguard about 3 days ago and that didn't help. Can i put plain yogurt in her bottle to give her some probiotics? I don't have much experience with goats and none with bottle babies, so this site has been so nice to learn from.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
20kidsonhill

Liked 409 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 631

Default Re: Baby goat diarrhea

coccidiosis is the main problem with young kids, Sulfa-dimethoxine is one of the recommended treatments. If you want to be absolutely sure, I would recommend a fecal test.

Scour-halt is also helpful, this is a medicated anti-scour drench and treats scours caused from bacteria, like e-coli.

scours on a young kid needs to be taken seriously.

I would treat the kid with sulfa-dimethoxine mixed in some pepto-bismo Or kaopectin(for livestock), After the scours stop I would continue a daily treated of sulf-dimeth, without the pepto.

The dosage for sulfa-dimeth is 3 to 5cc a day for 5 days, orally, or 1cc per 10lbs for a kid.

Yogurt can be added to a bottle, but it wont help if it is cocci. May help more after you are done treating for cocci.

clearwtrbeach Likes This 
Old 03-31-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
rustinsmommy

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks, I started her on tetracycline as that's what my feed store had for scours.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
StaceyRosado
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2577 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 560

tetracycline is an antibiotic if the scours are because of coccidia, which is a parasite, the antibiotic will not be of any assistance.

A fecal will tell you if its worms, or coccidia.

Sulmet, DiMethox or Corid would be my choices for coccidia treatment. I drench and dont put it in the water as directed.

End of The Line Farm
http://agirlandhergoats.blogspot.com/
Facebook fan pag
clearwtrbeach Likes This 
Old 03-31-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
rustinsmommy

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hmm, a local sheep/goat rancher told me to give her the tetracycline for cocci, and lady at the feed store agreed. Was I given bad information? What do i do now that I have already started her on the tetrcycline?

Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
toth boer goats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4046 Times on 2982 Posts
Likes Given: 7598

Quote:
tetracycline is an antibiotic if the scours are because of coccidia, which is a parasite, the antibiotic will not be of any assistance.
Stacey is right...

Quote:
Sulmet, DiMethox or Corid would be my choices for coccidia treatment
These drugs have to be given to kill off cocci....

Quote:
local sheep/goat rancher told me to give her the tetracycline for cocci, and lady at the feed store agreed
I am sorry to say but yes ...you where told the wrong info...
Located in northern ca
selling Registered Fullbloods to commercial stock
http://tothboergoats.com/
clearwtrbeach Likes This 
Old 03-31-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1997 Times on 1274 Posts
Likes Given: 5696

Send a message via Yahoo to liz

I would stop the tetracycline and if she's still scouring, give her 6cc of pepto bismol...straight from the syringe.
I would also get a fecal done to be sure of a cocci issue and if you can't I would still treat with either Sulmet or Di Methox(these are the only ones I've used) and dose it straight from the bottle..do not dilute it...1 cc per 5lbs now and 1cc per 10 lbs for the next 4 days. Get a temp on her too...if it's higher than 103.5 I would also start her on Pen G.
Again, the drugs mentioned are ones that I have used.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
rustinsmommy

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks everyone for the advice. I cam across this today that says a lot about coccidiosis. It says you can treat with sulphur drugs or tetracyclines. I think I wil continue since I have already started the tetracycline. She has a good appetite still and is very healthy and strong outside of a little diarrhea.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
rustinsmommy

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://www.jackmauldin.com/health/coccidiosis.htm I just cam accross this article that says alot about coccidiosis. He says you can treat with sulphur or tetracyclines, so I think I will keep doing the tetracycline since I already started them. She sems healthy other than the runny poo, not weak or off feed.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
()relics

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Tetracyclines are the only Approved coccidiostats for goats, other than monensin or deconiquinate which are preventative drugs. A Vet-client relationship would have to be functional for the "average vet" to prescribe an off-label drug. Most feed store employees, unless they own goats themselves, would never suggest you "Go Off Label" to treat anything, probably wouldn't even know what "Off Label" meant. Sheep herders are just that Sheep Herders Not Much Practical Information for Goat people. Tetracyclines, although they work to a certain extent by treating the associated infections casued by a cocci bloom, would not be nearly as effective as a sulfa drug, again off-label sulfa drug. Not to say your problem is coccidiosis, per say, but If It Were.

Boer Goats, Quarter Horses, German Shorthaired Pointers, Weimaraners....Breeding and show stock available. Training for animals AND people...
USBGA, ABGA,IBGC,AQHA, NSTRA,NAVHDA,DU,PF,APA

Quick Reply