You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Goat Spot    

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness >

Banding - Help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2017, 01:45 AM   #1
Thymara

Default Banding - Help?

So we had 4 4 month old nubians which needed banding, as they were being kept with a female. Ideally it would have been done when they were a couple of weeks, but that can't be helped now. After talking to a vet, she raised no issues with banding them at this age so I went ahead. I banded them today, which is something I have had to do for sheep before, but not goats.

I was surprised by how well behaved they all were. Had more issues with being held down, but once they were up, they were fine. I checked on them a couple hours later and noticed that though I banded quite close to the abdomen that the bands have slipped down and are now quite low. Both testes are still below the bands, the bands themselves have just slipped further down the sack.

For those with banding experience, is this normal, or might the bands be ill-fitting? Is it just because they're older? Sometimes it happened with lambs, and I usually moved the bands back up and they stayed in place, but in this instance the bands have moved down on all of the goats. Now wondering if their lack of reaction at the time of banding is because the bands are not restrictive enough to work.

Appreciate any help with this

Last edited by Thymara; 06-04-2017 at 01:50 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2017, 01:49 AM   #2
ksalvagno
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 16839 Times on 12404 Posts
Likes Given: 2436

I have never had bands slip down. I'd say they are too loose.

Suzanne_Tyler Likes This 
Old 06-04-2017, 04:56 AM   #3
Jessica84

Liked 5505 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 383

I agree they shouldn't have slipped. I think what I would do is band above that one as long as you are sure it really did slip. If you think maybe you may have placed the band there leave it alone because you really don't want it against the stomach anyways. If there is a small hernia you take a chance of catching part of a intestine, also dirt and bacteria will get stuck in there and more of a chance of infection. You really want it right above the testicles.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
toth boer goats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8970 Times on 6787 Posts
Likes Given: 16305

Good advice.
Located in northern ca
selling Registered Fullbloods to commercial stock
http://tothboergoats.com/

Old 06-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #5
Thymara

Follow up - I think I was just too paranoid - on closer inspection, it wasn't as far down as I first thought and it looked like they had stayed in place. It worked and I now have 3 wethers and goat number 4 is well on his way. On those that have dropped off though, the sack is gone but the band is still there, on a little nub just above where the sack has come off. I've never seen that, with the sheep the band used to come off too. They look well healed up at this point but should I just take the bands off or leave them in place till they fall off on their own?

These goats are pets and spend a lot of time being petted and fed by groups of children...and additionally, they've not been dehorned...I've never done that or know anything about it, but from what I understand it should be done when they're very young by a vet and they are cauterized before they begin growing. Is there a safe and pain-free method of de-horning when they're 4-5 months old? I want whats safe for both goats and children, we've already had one incident with a horn up a nostril and a bloody nose. (Both goat and child were fine, but if it had been an eye...)

Last edited by Thymara; 06-20-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
ksalvagno
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 16839 Times on 12404 Posts
Likes Given: 2436

It is easier when no horns. If you have groups of children coming over, then you need to have them dehorned now by a vet. A calf dehorner may still fit over them.

Quick Reply