Goat of the Month - Abigail Hope

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > Black Walnut Wormer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
CluckyJay

Default Black Walnut Wormer?

I have been using black walnut as a wormer for my dogs/cats/chickens. It is working fine.

Now I wanna get the goats on it. I just got a book called "Herbal Handbook for Farm and Stable." In the book she calls for 6 green hulls (the green covering on the walnut) brewed in 2 pints of water.

She said to give one cup, three times a day before meals.

I brought the water to a rolling boil and am now allowing the mixture to cool. That is "brewing", right? LOL

Is anyone using a recipe like this? I would like to start them on it but I am always afraid of trying new medicinals on new animals. The stuff looks pretty strong, LOL. I stink and my hands are now a lovely shade of puke green.

Thank you very much guys!

We are in Crossville, Tennessee and starting a small permaculture farm.

http://isadorapandora.hubpages.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 02:02 AM   #2
Tolers Boers

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: Black Walnut Wormer?

and they just drink it by the cupful? sassafras tea was good for head colds and i do remember granma making the black walnut tea too. but u cant possibly drench all those animals with a cup three times a day can you?

curious....o don't get me wrong i love natural remedies. As a physical therapist i also was in favor of alternative medicines and treatments.

can u tell me more about your walnut brew and what exactly are the types of worms that it targets?

keeping an open mind.

Attached Images

Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 AM   #3
Goat Song
Senior Member who ain't so Senior

Liked 38 Times on 22 Posts

I've got that book (love it!), and I tried the walnut brew once, but it was such a large amount for my goats, that I switched over to using black walnut tincture instead.

Sounds like your brew is coming along nicely, but don't expect your goats to be happy about taking it! I would start out small, and maybe only give your goats 1/2 cup twice daily at first, and then if all seems well, then start increasing up to 1 C. 3x's daily. JMO.

Tolers, it takes out pretty much every kind of worm, except lung worm. And no, they usually won't drink it. You have to hand drench them.

Right now, my favorite deworming method is using a black walnut/wormwood tincture. Works like a charm!

I am only one,
But I am one.
I cannot do everything,
But I can do something.
What I can do,
I ought to do.
And what I ought to do,
By the grace of God, I will do!

Old 08-14-2011, 02:37 AM   #4
GotmygoatMTJ

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

This may be something I might be interested in trying... Jay if you wanna make us some, be my guest! LOL

Old 08-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
CluckyJay

Hey, I was reading further. It said dose a lot of the drenches for goats and sheep was 1 pint or so. This is a book you need to read before using, LOL.

I would be happy to make you some. We have several trees loaded with nuts! I am looking into condensing it through boiling. I do not know if that destroys the active ingredient though. Gotta find that out, lol.

I am afraid to use wormword because Maa may be preggers! :O I have a good planting of mugwort that I grow because it is such a useful herb. Bloody crane's bill too. There's a lot of great plants on my property that I have trying to cultivate as natural medicine for us and the animals.

I will tell you, force-feeding it to Maa was NOT FUN. lol She looks like she has some terrible disease from where it stained her hair, LOL.

I made a paste to worm the cats/dogs. I added the extract to flour and that was easy to dose.

Sorry it took so long to respond, I forgot to subscribe to the thread!

As for horses, if you boil them, wouldn't that destroy the fungus people worry about?

Tolers, what GoatSong said. It is a very old remedy for worms and other problems too. I can say for fact the GREEN nut hulls works on dogs/cats and chickens. This is my first attempt with goats but my results will be tainted because I am using a chemical wormer for possible lungworms. You can also use the leaves and other parts of the tree as well.

Were going organic, just not there yet.

This winter I am buying up as much garlic as I can afford. That is a plant I will never be without because it is SO HEALING. I will buy the chopped, bottled garlic to use while I am getting my plants going. One step at a time to organic, lol. Gosh I love garlic.

This book is a MUST HAVE if you want to do natural stuff. Man oh man is it great.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
CluckyJay

I am right now trying to figure out the best way to dry and store giant ragweed. They love this stuff and it is supposed to be a helpful herb as well.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
CluckyJay

GotmygoatMTJ, I can gather some plants if you want to have a go at herbal gardening. I will have to clean my flowerbeds out sometime soon and I can get you starts of stuff. You can just come out and get them when you're ready.

Most of them are very easy to grow and as long as you keep them watered until established, take care of themselves. Mulching is important of course.

I will have more stuff next year too. I am buying mangle seeds this fall or winter, I can share with you, if you want.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:48 AM   #8
goathiker
I'm watching you
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7339 Times on 4012 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Hi, do your black walnut trees have a hundred baby trees under them like a lot of them do? How would you feel about stuffng some in a flat rate box? I could send you baby Plantain plants in return. I could also sent you postage.

I tried to be normal once, it was the worst 2 minutes of my life...

Old 08-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
CluckyJay

Let me check around the property. Hillis mowed down the ones in the front yard, LOL. I'm sure there are some growing around in our back woods. I can't afford to ship anything right now, we are getting ready to spend all our money on our son's 5'th birthday party. lol

They grow quickly from seed, just take forever to actually produce nuts. You can use the leaves as a wormer though, they just aren't as strong as the nut hulls.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:52 AM   #10
Tolers Boers

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i make sure they get once a week chopped fresh cloves of garlic. I doctor up the carrots with cinnamon. i too plan an herbal garden and or planting the things i can in pasture.....peppermint garlic . etc. we have all kinds of rag weed and we have walnut trees we have 5 can u ship the them walnuts in the hulls while they still green? if u cover postage i send any of u some of them.

im going to online search for seeds for other stuff turnips parsly peppermint garlic i know can be grown plant form and prob best to do that.

to track down slippery elm bark is a trouble spot right now. when i used to sing i bought some in a tea. wonder if i could make them tea treats like ice cubes and get it to them that way???? anyone know about the slippery elm bark???

appriciate all advice and the offer for walnuts stands.

Attached Thumbnails
logo-2.gif  

Quick Reply