Goats of the Month - Pumpkin Pie

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > Broken Leg/Hip Joint - Updated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Epona142
The Goat Whisperer

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Broken Leg/Hip Joint - Updated

If it's not one thing, it's another...

Bunny, the Mini-Snubian with two kids, came into feeding time limping, bearing no weight on one hind leg.

I let her eat and then checked her out. The leg is most certain broken at the hip.

I called and talked to the vet who gave me two options, surgery or euthanasia. The costs for the surgery are out of my reach right now I am very sad to say. It would decimate my vet fund and with Apple's foal on the way...

Is euthanasia the only option? I have no idea how this happened, could have been Hope smashing her, a kick from the pony, but she doesn't seem in the least concerned. She walks around, albeit slower and limping, is feeding her kids, can lay down and get up. The leg must be nerve dead right now because I can manipulate it without her crying. It doesn't feel "cold" dead though, just limp.

If I let her be and keep an eye on her, could it heal enough for her to be okay? I've seen some impressive healing in animals before with little intervention. It's not in a place I can wrap with vet wrap. Should I kennel her in the barn with her kids? One kid is going to a new home very shortly as a bottle baby.

Not really sure what I should do at this point...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
naturalgoats

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Re: Broken Leg/Hip Joint

I don't have any experience with this but good luck... I'll be thinking of both of you.

Miranda,
Merry, Pippin,(saanen harness wethers)
RIP Mama
sites.google.com/site/2creeksgoats

Old 04-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
freedomstarfarm

Liked 258 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I don't have any experience with this but have seen many deer that had broken legs from car accidents heal and get along just fine. We have one girl I call her Hobble because she only has 3 good legs. Her R front was at some point broken and she just drags it along. We just came thru a bad Winter for our area and she made it thru fine. She has had the broken leg over a year now and is making it in the wild. Good luck with your girl!

Nigerian Dwarf Goats
http://FreedomStarFarm.com

Old 04-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
kitten6500

Ok, my experience comes from working at a small animal vet (cats + dogs) clinic, so I don't know if it completely relates...

Depending on the break/how the leg would heal, AND how easy the patient is to work with, you have you may be able to splint/cast it until it sets. I'd guess the vet doesn't want to give you this option because it is WAY more work for them, with the potential for not being too successful if it creates a permanently gimpy goat. We've had clients come in with dogs (usually hit-by-cars) that had broken legs (front or rear) who couldn't afford surgery, but loved their pet and still wanted to help them. We would have them come in weekly (twice weekly for dirty dogs) for splint and bandage changes. This costs the owner roughly $40-60 a week in bandage materials, plus the patient (dog, or in your case goat) needs to behave enough to let us restrain him/her and change the bandage every week. The other component of splinting/casting is that there would probably be some exercise restrictions (for dogs it's leash walk only to go outside), and the goat may have to be confined to a stall for weeks.

Did they take x-rays? Would you be able to confine her for at least a couple months while the bone heals? Also, will you be able to keep the bandage as clean as possible, while still knowing it will still probably need to be changed weekly (meaning a drive into the vet's office and spending $...)? And the big one- will she be still every week while the vets + techs change her bandage and check on her progress?

If you think you can keep up with her after care, and you think she's a good enough patient to put up with the pain/discomfort of the splint, then I wouldn't give up on her yet! Call other vets, explain the situation (show the radiographs, if you can) and hopefully one of them has a heart and takes a chance on a dedicated owner...

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
lissablack

Liked 38 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I don't have any experience either, but I wouldn't put her down unless she gets to be clearly in permanent pain or can't function. I had one last week holding up one leg and walking on three and by the next day she was fine, it wasn't broken. It wasn't even hurt badly, but it sure looked bad at first. I was pretty worried about her because she is sold.

So I think waiting is a good idea.

Jan

Jan
Serena Kinders in New Mexico
http://www.serenakinders.com

Old 04-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
Epona142
The Goat Whisperer

Thanks for all the advice so far.

kitten - the vet didn't even give me that option, but I can call back and discuss it. Will she be still? Probably not. She's a sweet and tame goat, but the least tame of my crew, prefers attention on her own time.

I haven't taken her INTO the vet, can't today, hubby is at work and I do not drive. I'm fairly certain it's broken, the leg is clearly just dangling and I can sort of "feel" the break inside. If that makes any sense.

I disbudded her kids today and she cried for them and let them nurse and licked their little bottoms. If she keeps eating, drinking, pooping (she passed normal pellets) and keeps a good color and no temp, I want to give her a chance, even if she might end up a bit gimpy.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
Bellafire Farm

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I'd agree w/atleast taking her into the vet to get x-rays... atleast at that point you can truly have all the correct information & make an educated decision. It could be possible that she completely dislocated the hip joint... as it seems odd to me that she would have such a serious break and not be in somekind of pain??? Haven't personally experienced a goat with a break but I would think she'd be in pain???
Very sorry you are going thru this.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
Epona142
The Goat Whisperer

I don't doubt she's in some pain at least, its evident. She just didn't seem OVERLY concerned when I handled the leg. My first thought was that it was out of the socket as well, but not sure.

Trying to get an appointment with a different vet for Friday..sigh.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
Epona142
The Goat Whisperer

Went out to feed the dogs and she's out on the pasture eating with the rest. They saw me and of course ran over to see if I just might be convinced to feed THEM again..she followed and even "ran" a bit three-legged.

Poor Bunny...

Old 04-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
toth boer goats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4718 Times on 3465 Posts
Likes Given: 8868

I agree... get an xray to see what is going on ...or if the vet is real good ..he /she can feel ...if and where it is broken or see.. if it is just dislocated....and may be able to pop it back in....then wrap it..... she may not have feeling in it because it may be pinching off the nerve....

Located in northern ca
selling Registered Fullbloods to commercial stock
http://tothboergoats.com/

Quick Reply