Bunny, the Mini-Snubian with two kids, came into feeding time limping, bearing no weight on one hind leg.
I let her eat and then checked her out. The leg is most certain broken at the hip.
I called and talked to the vet who gave me two options, surgery or euthanasia. The costs for the surgery are out of my reach right now I am very sad to say. It would decimate my vet fund and with Apple's foal on the way...
Is euthanasia the only option? I have no idea how this happened, could have been Hope smashing her, a kick from the pony, but she doesn't seem in the least concerned. She walks around, albeit slower and limping, is feeding her kids, can lay down and get up. The leg must be nerve dead right now because I can manipulate it without her crying. It doesn't feel "cold" dead though, just limp.
If I let her be and keep an eye on her, could it heal enough for her to be okay? I've seen some impressive healing in animals before with little intervention. It's not in a place I can wrap with vet wrap. Should I kennel her in the barn with her kids? One kid is going to a new home very shortly as a bottle baby.
I don't have any experience with this but have seen many deer that had broken legs from car accidents heal and get along just fine. We have one girl I call her Hobble because she only has 3 good legs. Her R front was at some point broken and she just drags it along. We just came thru a bad Winter for our area and she made it thru fine. She has had the broken leg over a year now and is making it in the wild. Good luck with your girl!
Ok, my experience comes from working at a small animal vet (cats + dogs) clinic, so I don't know if it completely relates...
Depending on the break/how the leg would heal, AND how easy the patient is to work with, you have you may be able to splint/cast it until it sets. I'd guess the vet doesn't want to give you this option because it is WAY more work for them, with the potential for not being too successful if it creates a permanently gimpy goat. We've had clients come in with dogs (usually hit-by-cars) that had broken legs (front or rear) who couldn't afford surgery, but loved their pet and still wanted to help them. We would have them come in weekly (twice weekly for dirty dogs) for splint and bandage changes. This costs the owner roughly $40-60 a week in bandage materials, plus the patient (dog, or in your case goat) needs to behave enough to let us restrain him/her and change the bandage every week. The other component of splinting/casting is that there would probably be some exercise restrictions (for dogs it's leash walk only to go outside), and the goat may have to be confined to a stall for weeks.
Did they take x-rays? Would you be able to confine her for at least a couple months while the bone heals? Also, will you be able to keep the bandage as clean as possible, while still knowing it will still probably need to be changed weekly (meaning a drive into the vet's office and spending $...)? And the big one- will she be still every week while the vets + techs change her bandage and check on her progress?
If you think you can keep up with her after care, and you think she's a good enough patient to put up with the pain/discomfort of the splint, then I wouldn't give up on her yet! Call other vets, explain the situation (show the radiographs, if you can) and hopefully one of them has a heart and takes a chance on a dedicated owner...
I don't have any experience either, but I wouldn't put her down unless she gets to be clearly in permanent pain or can't function. I had one last week holding up one leg and walking on three and by the next day she was fine, it wasn't broken. It wasn't even hurt badly, but it sure looked bad at first. I was pretty worried about her because she is sold.
kitten - the vet didn't even give me that option, but I can call back and discuss it. Will she be still? Probably not. She's a sweet and tame goat, but the least tame of my crew, prefers attention on her own time.
I haven't taken her INTO the vet, can't today, hubby is at work and I do not drive. I'm fairly certain it's broken, the leg is clearly just dangling and I can sort of "feel" the break inside. If that makes any sense.
I disbudded her kids today and she cried for them and let them nurse and licked their little bottoms. If she keeps eating, drinking, pooping (she passed normal pellets) and keeps a good color and no temp, I want to give her a chance, even if she might end up a bit gimpy.
I'd agree w/atleast taking her into the vet to get x-rays... atleast at that point you can truly have all the correct information & make an educated decision. It could be possible that she completely dislocated the hip joint... as it seems odd to me that she would have such a serious break and not be in somekind of pain??? Haven't personally experienced a goat with a break but I would think she'd be in pain???
Very sorry you are going thru this.
Went out to feed the dogs and she's out on the pasture eating with the rest. They saw me and of course ran over to see if I just might be convinced to feed THEM again..she followed and even "ran" a bit three-legged.
I agree... get an xray to see what is going on ...or if the vet is real good ..he /she can feel ...if and where it is broken or see.. if it is just dislocated....and may be able to pop it back in....then wrap it..... she may not have feeling in it because it may be pinching off the nerve....