Goat of the Month - Abigail Hope

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > Copper Bolus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
Stacie1205

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts

Default Copper Bolus

How often do you do it, what are you using, and how much? I don't notice anyone showing signs but I just want to know everyone's thoughts/practices. What are you using? Is it something you do routinely as a preventive or just when you notice a deficiency?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
freedomstarfarm

Liked 255 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Re: Copper Bolus

My area is Copper deficient and I started seeing a few signs like fishtail.
I decided that I would give copper bolus 2x a year.
I got mine from Jeffers in the larger caps.

I open up the cap and weigh it into smaller caps that I just put onto of a handful of feed for each goat on the stand so I know they ate it.
I do have a few that eat around it and those I put it in the back of their mouth from the side and hold it closed till they swallow.
The weighted dose is 1 gram per 22# of goat.

Nigerian Dwarf Goats
http://FreedomStarFarm.com

Old 10-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1998 Times on 1275 Posts
Likes Given: 5696

Send a message via Yahoo to liz

I just bolused mine for the first time this past Spring...they are on a great mineral now too and I do plan to bolus with the 1 gram per 22lbs dose because I noticed a red fringe on my black does, once I can get a battery for my scale, I use a paste wormer syringe as a bolus gun and hold the capsule on the end of the plunger with a bit of probiotic paste, stick the end in the back corner of the goats mouth and push, it's best that they not chew the capsule to ensure that as many of the copper rods stay in the gut as possible, as opposed to those teeny rods going through the digestive tract and end up out the other end.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
freedomstarfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz
I just bolused mine for the first time this past Spring...they are on a great mineral now too and I do plan to bolus with the 1 gram per 22lbs dose because I noticed a red fringe on my black does, once I can get a battery for my scale, I use a paste wormer syringe as a bolus gun and hold the capsule on the end of the plunger with a bit of probiotic paste, stick the end in the back corner of the goats mouth and push, it's best that they not chew the capsule to ensure that as many of the copper rods stay in the gut as possible, as opposed to those teeny rods going through the digestive tract and end up out the other end.
Love the paste wormer tube for dosing! Most of my goats seam to swallow them whole but a few will chew it up and then I wonder how much goes and stays in the right body part to really help.
Nigerian Dwarf Goats

Old 10-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
goathiker
I'm watching you
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7298 Times on 3990 Posts
Likes Given: 803

The thinking of chewing the rods causes them to be used faster or shed faster has pretty much been proven wrong now. I've seen several studies done on this subject and some of the bigger breeders have been doing this and taking liver biopsies for information. It does seem to bear out that the method of administeration has nothing to do with how well the copper works. It still sinks into the rumen even if top dressed on grain or given in applesauce or yogurt.
This is good for the people that don't know how to bolus or are afraid of the procedure. They can still get the copper into the animals and know that it is doing what it is supposed to.

I tried to be normal once, it was the worst 2 minutes of my life...

Old 10-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
freedomstarfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by goathiker
The thinking of chewing the rods causes them to be used faster or shed faster has pretty much been proven wrong now. I've seen several studies done on this subject and some of the bigger breeders have been doing this and taking liver biopsies for information. It does seem to bear out that the method of administeration has nothing to do with how well the copper works. It still sinks into the rumen even if top dressed on grain or given in applesauce or yogurt.
This is good for the people that don't know how to bolus or are afraid of the procedure. They can still get the copper into the animals and know that it is doing what it is supposed to.
That is great to know!! Way easier to give them a little applesauce on some grain with the copper for some goats!
Nigerian Dwarf Goats

Old 10-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
Stacie1205

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts

This may be a stupid question but how do you know if you live in a copper deficent area? I mean, do you say that because you see it in your goats or is there some place that you find this info. on what areas on the map have high amount of this and low amount of that?

Old 10-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
KW Farms
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1803 Times on 1144 Posts
Likes Given: 301

Send a message via AIM to KW Farms

I haven't yet been able to find a map for copper levels. But if the goats look in perfect condition with shiny, soft coats and aren't showing any deficiency signs then there really is no need to copper bolus. I give copper usually 2x yearly, no more then that. Some places you may never need to bolus just have the goat minerals out...but it's always good to watch for signs in case it's needed.

Info. on Nigerian Dwarf goat colors/patterns/etc.: Click Here
NEW: LIKE US on Facebook KW FARMS

Old 10-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
goathiker
I'm watching you
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7298 Times on 3990 Posts
Likes Given: 803

The best way to find out is to talk to the extention service. They should have the assay maps and also know what the cattle people are having to supplement with. It goes a little farther than just being copper deficient though. High Iron interfers with copper absorbtion and causes them to need more. Remember this is based on where the majority of your feed comes from, not neccesarily where you live.
Your pure black and your Saanens seem to show mineral problems first. I have a pure black buck that gets red around his face and on his fringes before anyone else shows signs.

I tried to be normal once, it was the worst 2 minutes of my life...

Old 10-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1998 Times on 1275 Posts
Likes Given: 5696

Send a message via Yahoo to liz

Also...besides pastures and food sources as far as iron levels that can inhibit copper absorption...look at your water source for your animals, I live in an area that was heavily mined and the iron levels are very high...so high that you can see rusty spots in the ground after a hard rain, and I also have a well...no purification or softener system, so I know that between the water mine drink as well as the pastures they browse that iron is an issue.

Quick Reply