Goats of the Month - Pumpkin Pie

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > Cystic ovaries in goats...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
logansmommy7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via AIM to logansmommy7
Default Cystic ovaries in goats...

I have a goat that is proving hard to breed. She has gone in and out of heat (it seems) for a month now-acting strangely. I have heard about cystic ovaries in goats, but want to know more about it. What does anyone here know about it? I don't want to jump to conclusuions, but it is getting strange.

http://www.facebook.com/Hawksviewfarm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
logansmommy7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: Cystic ovaries in goats...

WELL--no one seemed interested in this post...probably because it was kind of a strange question, BUT my vet came over to check out my goaties the other day and we discussed this issue-he said she possibly had cystic ovaries and gave her a hormone shot of some type. He said it should put her back in a normal cycle again or if she is pregnant already it won't hurt anything...

Old 03-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
StaceyRosado
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2804 Times on 1757 Posts
Likes Given: 591

heard of the possibility, never delt with it myself.

Hope it works out for you now and she cycles normally and will settle with a breeding

End of The Line Farm
Facebook fan page

Old 03-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
citylights

Liked 41 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I didn't see this post! Yes, I have dealt with this before. I have a doe right now that I'm trying to work on.

The symptoms I've experienced is the doe acting very bucky when another doe comes into heat. My doe, Mariposa, has kidded for me before, but not in 2 years. Even though she lived with a buck for over 2 mos, I couldn't get her bred and she would just chase and torture tjhe other does in heat.

My vet prescribed 3/4 cc of Cystorelin, which will make the encysted follicle erupt, then 10 days later I gave her Lutalyse to make her come in heat.

I don't know which drug your vet use, do you? I would assume he didn't use the Lutalyse as that would cause her to abort, but I don't know about the Cystorelin. After I treated the doe, we hand bred her, so as soon as we are six weeks out, I'll send in for a blood test and let you know!

Old 03-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Epona142
The Goat Whisperer

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had a doe that kept cycling over and over and being bred by my buck. She had kidded once before before I bought her, but despite being bred one 4-5 separate occasions, she did not conceive. I sold her to a petting zoo. She probably was cystic.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
logansmommy7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The vet told us that sometimes the follicle doesn't rupture causing the cyst. She hasn't been doing this for that long (the frequent cycling). She was on regular 18-21 day heats but we haven't tried terribly hard until this last cycle to get her bred. This is the time when we left her in for days with the buck. SHe did in fact stand for him...but then came back into heat about a week later, and then again about a week later...Our vet didn't seem too concerned as she is pretty young and the shot should reverse the condition. I guess we will see!

Quick Reply