Goat of the Month - Abigail Hope

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > decrease in milk production

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Dusty

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default decrease in milk production

I have a Lamancha yearling doe that freshened two weeks ago. She has been milked twice a day since she freshened and up until yesterday I was getting from 4cups to 6cups twice a day, it was slowly increasing daily. Suddenly Im getting 3 cups per milking and this morning she seemed dryer (udder softer) than even yesterday.
I free feed alfalfa, leave loose minerals and baking soda avail to free choice and give grain twice a day while milking.
Noticable about the same time is a change in hay, I had to buy really green hay all that was avail and both does had green scours, other has cleared up this doe is still soft and (maybe this isnt anything to do with anything) but she has started to shake the cud (only grain) out at us when we milk her? shes not fussy on the milk stand or tender but she wont eat her grain on the stand which is odd? isnt lethargic, temps normal, etc....just all odd or could the change in diet simply be it???
any help would be appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Dusty

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

yes I measure in cups

Old 05-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
nchen7
Goatless goat momma
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3963 Times on 2670 Posts
Likes Given: 2727

is the baby with mom? if so, growing babies drink a lot of milk.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Dusty

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No both babies were pulled the next day. She already seems more bagged up now, at lunch time, thinking about milking her out again now then again tonight?

Old 05-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
happybleats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6789 Times on 4646 Posts
Likes Given: 11656

I measure by cups too lol....
this time of year my lamanchas are coming in heat...when they do they drop in milk a bit..
are you waiting 12 hours between milking? if they keep with loose stool, add more coastal type hay to their daily..
also have a fecal done..worms will give loose stool and decrease milk production..

Cathy
Happybleatsdairygoats.weebly.com
Lamancha; Saanen, mini saanen and a few precious Nigies.....
Tons of chicken; turkey; ducks; hair sheep; cats ;dogs and donkeys....plus 8 human kids and one awesome hubby of 33 years

Old 05-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
clearwtrbeach

Liked 940 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 997

soft and (maybe this isnt anything to do with anything) but she has started to shake the cud (only grain) out at us when we milk her? shes not fussy on the milk stand or tender but she wont eat her grain on the stand which is odd? isnt lethargic, temps normal, etc....just all odd or could the change in diet simply be it???
any help would be appreciated[/QUOTE]

?shake the cud??? Do you mean she's shaking on the stand while being milked?
I had a doe who started that,(shaking and milk reduction) no fever, eating balanced other than not eating on the stand and shaking. I took her temp, no temp. I determined it to be the start of milk fever. I gave her (from the human health food section of the grocery store) liquid calcium/magnesium and elemented D3. She got (ND) 10CC in the am and pm and again the next morning and then was fine.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
Dusty

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No she soaks us in spit! Lol shes not shaky / trembling. .. I did clean wayerers out reallly good today and I noticed she started drinkibg a lot of water. .. beginibg to to think a combination of the rich hay/scours and "dirty" water, I was a couple day behind this week scrubbing them out, she was mayb a lil dehydrated therefore producing less? Shes been very nosey on the stand checkibg me up obe side and down the other, sniffing everything im doing touching etc. Maybe shes coming into heat? Wasnt expecting til fall I guess....

Old 05-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
nchen7
Goatless goat momma
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3963 Times on 2670 Posts
Likes Given: 2727

yea...I read that does in milk need a bout a gallon of water a day....need the water to make the milk! I find when my doe doesn't drink a lot of water in a day, she has less milk for me.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
happybleats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6789 Times on 4646 Posts
Likes Given: 11656

yep..decrease water consumption = decrease milk production.... add a bit of apple cider vinegar tot he water to encourage more drinking : ) and discourages alge

Cathy
Happybleatsdairygoats.weebly.com
Lamancha; Saanen, mini saanen and a few precious Nigies.....
Tons of chicken; turkey; ducks; hair sheep; cats ;dogs and donkeys....plus 8 human kids and one awesome hubby of 33 years

Old 05-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Dusty

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

after I bleached and scrubbed the water bucket, which I normally do weekly this time it went about ten days, she went over and drank a bunch of water, and when out in the pasture I noticed her drinking more out there....picky possibly....and the diarreah is looking better, now less watery green stuff and more like formed cow pies but not as splashy as that even. the other doe was similar in softness when the new hay came in but shes seems to adjusted and is back to regular hard pellets. Unfortuantley we are very rural and hay sources are few and far between theres only two and the one I normally get hay from was closed on fri when I was out when they open tomm Ill go get some from them and at least mix the richer hay with it til the green green stuff is gone. Will also take a stool sample in to have them check for worms just in case, but eyelids look pink....
thanks for all the hand holding lol, Ill see what tonights milking brings....the other doe hasa a kid and im only milking one side as he drains the other for himself. So we are missing that 10-12 cups a day

Quick Reply