You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Goat Spot    

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness >

FRUSTRATED!!! Scours off and on for months. Vets are scratching their heads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2017, 11:47 PM   #31
emmaandoscar
animal lover

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemackenzie View Post
The cud swap is to get some healthy gut bacteria into your doe.

Definitely possible there's just permanent damage from early coccidiosis.

I would try to weight tape her and then give amprolium at 50mg per KG for five days.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21333448/
So if there is permanent damage from early coccidiosis, will she just have the runs the rest of her life? What do you mean by "weight tape her?" and what is amprolium? Is that something given orally?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017, 11:48 PM   #32
Suzanne_Tyler
GreenTGoats

Liked 1900 Times on 1384 Posts
Likes Given: 1613

What did you use to treat her?

GreenTHomestead.com

Old 02-20-2017, 11:52 PM   #33
emmaandoscar
animal lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne_Tyler View Post
What did you use to treat her?
So far since I posted this, I have given her some selenium paste. I'm curious about the cud swap thing. Wondering about that. It sounds interesting. Just wonder about what happens if this is permanent damage from prior coccidia. Not sure what to try next. If it's a matter of needing good bacteria in there, I'd like to try that. I've never taken a cud out of a goats mouth before though. That might be a challenge!

Old 02-21-2017, 12:53 AM   #34
nicolemackenzie

Liked 767 Times on 559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaandoscar View Post
So if there is permanent damage from early coccidiosis, will she just have the runs the rest of her life? What do you mean by "weight tape her?" and what is amprolium? Is that something given orally?

Take a measuring tape and measure around her chest just behind withers. Write great down. Measure length from shoulder to pins.

Multiply chest x chest x length and divide that by 300.

That will give an accurate weight. Round up.

Amprolium is corrid. What did your vet use for coccidiosis?

If she was underdosed than the surviving organisms will be the ones with slight resistance and all their offspring will share that resistance. Only the strong survive so each time you only kill the very weak organisms you breed a stronger more resistant following generation. They rapidly become harder to kill with each generation and each generation comes quickly. This goes for bacteria, coccidia, and parasites.

This is why I asked her weight, type of meds she's been treated with, amount, and duration. So if you have that that would be greatly helpful!

Now if there is permanent damage she may always have trouble absorbing nutrients and be a hard keeper.

Here's a link to the weight info

http://www.infovets.com/books/smrm/c/c098.htm

Old 02-21-2017, 09:23 PM   #35
Hollowdweller

Liked 124 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is she a nubian? Some lines have a tendency toward scouring.

You might want to consider junking her. If your other goats are fine then you want to concentrate on goats that able to prosper on the management you have rather than goats that require a lot of special attention to stay healthy.

In any event, if I kept her I would write the problem down and make sure it does not persist in the progeny.

Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM   #36
emmaandoscar
animal lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemackenzie View Post
Take a measuring tape and measure around her chest just behind withers. Write great down. Measure length from shoulder to pins.

Multiply chest x chest x length and divide that by 300.

That will give an accurate weight. Round up.

Amprolium is corrid. What did your vet use for coccidiosis?

If she was underdosed than the surviving organisms will be the ones with slight resistance and all their offspring will share that resistance. Only the strong survive so each time you only kill the very weak organisms you breed a stronger more resistant following generation. They rapidly become harder to kill with each generation and each generation comes quickly. This goes for bacteria, coccidia, and parasites.

This is why I asked her weight, type of meds she's been treated with, amount, and duration. So if you have that that would be greatly helpful!

Now if there is permanent damage she may always have trouble absorbing nutrients and be a hard keeper.

Here's a link to the weight info

http://www.infovets.com/books/smrm/c/c098.htm
She was on 3 rounds of Albon, corrid in her water two different times from vet#1, then they referred me to a more specialized ver and he treated her with Sulpamethazine. He tested her several times after, no cocci, but he found some other bacteria--a ton of them. We switched her from oat hay to alfalfa...none of the bacteria are there now, but her poo is runny again. She only had one or two cocci in her last lab and vet said it's normal to have a small amount, that they always will. She tested negative for Johnnes. None of my other goats have this issue, none have cocci or the other bacteria or any problems with scours at all. Never have. My vet is pretty much done treating her. I am at a loss. I took the minerals and the baking soda out of the barn yesterday to see if it helps. Today her whole back end was caked with green runny poop. I brought her up to the house and put her in the bath tub and completely cleaned her and then trimmed her tail and whole back side. I gave her selenium paste/vit e the other day (just grasping at straws here), I keep giving her probios every day too. She is in a very clean environment, it's warm and dry, she gets plenty of food, clean water everyday and lots of love and I am just trying process of elimination to see what it could possibly be as far as maybe what she is eating. Maybe the minerals have something in them that she is allergic to. She ate a big gob of them as I was trying to clean their mineral dispenser out and today she had super runny poo, worse than normal. She eats fine, acts fine, plays fine and is uber loveable still. I think I need to send her poo to a lab. Do you have any suggestions of a specific lab or a link of how to do that. I have only given my vets samples to test and have never sent them out to a lab myself. I just want my little girl to be ok. I am so attached to that little girl. Love her soooo much. Gawd.

Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM   #37
ksalvagno
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 16121 Times on 11841 Posts
Likes Given: 2436

Sounds like you need rumen boluses. Her rumen needs to be treated now.

Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #38
nicolemackenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaandoscar View Post
She was on 3 rounds of Albon, corrid in her water two different times from vet#1, then they referred me to a more specialized ver and he treated her with Sulpamethazine. He tested her several times after, no cocci, but he found some other bacteria--a ton of them. We switched her from oat hay to alfalfa...none of the bacteria are there now, but her poo is runny again. She only had one or two cocci in her last lab and vet said it's normal to have a small amount, that they always will. She tested negative for Johnnes. None of my other goats have this issue, none have cocci or the other bacteria or any problems with scours at all. Never have. My vet is pretty much done treating her. I am at a loss. I took the minerals and the baking soda out of the barn yesterday to see if it helps. Today her whole back end was caked with green runny poop. I brought her up to the house and put her in the bath tub and completely cleaned her and then trimmed her tail and whole back side. I gave her selenium paste/vit e the other day (just grasping at straws here), I keep giving her probios every day too. She is in a very clean environment, it's warm and dry, she gets plenty of food, clean water everyday and lots of love and I am just trying process of elimination to see what it could possibly be as far as maybe what she is eating. Maybe the minerals have something in them that she is allergic to. She ate a big gob of them as I was trying to clean their mineral dispenser out and today she had super runny poo, worse than normal. She eats fine, acts fine, plays fine and is uber loveable still. I think I need to send her poo to a lab. Do you have any suggestions of a specific lab or a link of how to do that. I have only given my vets samples to test and have never sent them out to a lab myself. I just want my little girl to be ok. I am so attached to that little girl. Love her soooo much. Gawd.

What actual doses were used of each med though?

Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM   #39
emmaandoscar
animal lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowdweller View Post
Is she a nubian? Some lines have a tendency toward scouring.

You might want to consider junking her. If your other goats are fine then you want to concentrate on goats that able to prosper on the management you have rather than goats that require a lot of special attention to stay healthy.

In any event, if I kept her I would write the problem down and make sure it does not persist in the progeny.
No she is Nigerian Dwarf. Consider junking her? No, she is my favorite, sweetest, bottle fed baby and none of my animals will ever be destroyed. She is still eating, playing, drinking, loveable and a happy goat. She just has scours and no one can figure out why. I love this goat. My goats are pets and I love them more than people. When I get an animal, it's a forever animal. I don't treat them like they're disposable. I know, to lots of people that farm animals, they are just "things" that serve a purpose of either, milk, meat or fiber, or to bring in $ and "junking them" might be a common thing among people that have animals for that purpose. I just don't view them like that. I do plan on having some milk goats, but other than that, they are our pets and so loved and treated like our dogs & cats or our human kids. I would have an easier time "junking" some bad people, than my animals, if it was legal...haha.

Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM   #40
nicolemackenzie

Not sure which lab. Maybe waddl? Or biotracking labs.

You will always see some parasites. They can be shed intermittently and less so in the winter. I'd recheck a fecal in the spring to try and catch some good shedding.

She's been hit with a lot of meds. I'd do the probiotics, rumen bolus ( or cud swap) and selenium and normal diet. Try to keep her as clean as you can and give her some time.

Quick Reply