Goat of the Month - Heidi

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > Goat with Diarrhea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
romanad

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Goat with Diarrhea

I'm back again! Well, it has been a rough couple of weeks, and now one of my goats had scours.

Here's the situation. I'm trying to figure this out, but I thought a more experienced person might be able to help. We got two new goats two weeks ago. One of the new goats has had a cough since I got her, but no fever. The other had goopy eyes, but that seems to be nearly gone, and her coat and eyes both look much better to me. The coughing goat also sounds a little congested and was covered in lice. Because of the lice, I gave all the goats (old and new) Ivomec orally, 11 days ago, and again yesterday.

I had planned to quarantine the new goats for a month. Long story made short, I had to mix them together sooner than planned, so I did that a few days ago. The quarantine only lasted about a week and a half. The older goat (the goopy eye one, who is also pregnant), has been a huge bully. I know some of that is normal, but geez! She sticks to me like glue (that part is sweet), but won't let the others anywhere near me. She won't let them eat, and she slams them into the fence. She isn't as bad with the one who came here with her, but she is a terror to my other goats. They don't seem to know what to think. They fight her a little, but now they just run from her.

Tonight when I went to put them away, I saw my 8 month old doe, the one I'm hoping to breed soon, had a nasty butt. I then saw her poop, and it is brown and looks like pudding, but a watery pudding. She doesn't have a fever. I put electrolytes in the water tub for her.

So, since she doesn't have a fever, could this be either from the wormer or stress related from the new goat being a bully? She went into heat for the first time right before the new goats came, so maybe 2.5 weeks ago. I'm also giving them vitamin c tablets since the one is coughing.

I'm hesitant to jump on any kind of treatment. Right now she seems pretty normal other than her poo. Anything I can do to just help her through it? I'm going to keep the new goats separate from the old tomorrow to give her a break from being slammed into the fence. She was what I considered to be queen, being the older and bigger of the two I originally had, but I think the new one has taken that position from her.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
nancy d

Liked 3259 Times on 2162 Posts
Likes Given: 2627

I'd get a fecal done for your 8 mo old in case it's cocci & go from there.There are times when we have to treat them.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #3
LilBleatsFarm
Premier Colorado Nigerian Dwarf Breeder

Liked 467 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 348

If you plan on putting them all together at some point, dividing them won't do any good. They'll just start all over again.
If it's been less than a day, you could put some in kennels within the paddock and start letting everyone see and smell each other safely. But if it's been a bit, I would leave them be unless it is too dangerous for everyone.

I would also be giving everyone vitb and probios. I think everyone is probably feeling stress.

Then a fecal and while you are waiting - pepto and if you have scour halt - couldnt' hurt.

Last edited by LilBleatsFarm; 11-10-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #4
liz
Administrator

Liked 1848 Times on 1185 Posts
Likes Given: 5262

Send a message via Yahoo to liz

8 months old, stress and brown pudding poop= coccidia.

A fecal would be best to have done to be sure but if she were here I'd be dosing with 12.5% DiMethox at a rate of 1cc per 5lbs NOW then 1cc per 10lbs for the next 4-6 days. No grain, only hay and a dose of Pepto Bismol to help soothe her tummy as well as probiotics.
Also... Ivermectin only works on external parasites if it is injected...not given orally.

People Like This 
Old 11-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #5
romanad

Nancy d, I am going to see if I can find a vet in who can run a fecal for me in the morning.

Lilbleatsfarm, good point. I just wish the one would settle down a bit and stop being such a bully. She's really very sweet to me, but goodness...does this kind of thing usually calm down with time?

About the fecal, do I need a goat vet to do it or could any vet do it? And what is the best way to catch it? I'm thinking follow her around with a plastic baggie?

Old 11-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #6
liz
Administrator

Liked 1848 Times on 1185 Posts
Likes Given: 5262

Send a message via Yahoo to liz

Most small animal vets can do a fecal for cocci... and yes, fresh sample is best so a good swipe with a baggie is the way to go

People Like This 
Old 11-10-2012, 02:47 AM   #7
romanad

Thanks Liz, I will start her on the treatment. Will Di-methox powder work?

Bummer about the Ivomec. I had no idea. I was treating my others for worms a month or so ago, and my vet told me do Ivomec orally, so I didn't even think that it might not work for lice. I think I'm going to look into something else for the lice. I feel like these goats have been wormed enough for now.

About the cocci, how does it work? One of the new goats had it before she came here, but was treated for it, but could she still be spreading it? I think I read that it is normal to have some cocci present, but it is an overpopulation that causes the problem. I try to keep things clean and keep water up a little, but they still mange to poop in it from time to time. They did this before the new goats came too though, and I never had a problem with this. I guess all the stress weakens the immune system and opens them up to it? How can this be prevented?

Old 11-10-2012, 04:08 AM   #8
ThreeHavens
5 does, 3 bucks, 5 kids. :)

Liked 4163 Times on 2628 Posts
Likes Given: 8557

Coccidia "blooms" every 21 days -- so yes they can get it again.

(_††_)
~Click for our website~

Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
20kidsonhill

Liked 409 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 631

there are a lot of dusts, and pour-ons for lice. Lots of choices, easy to treat compared to Mites.

I would also guess coccidiosis in your doeling that is scouring.

As far as that one does behavior, I suspect she will always be somewhat of a bully. But hopefully the other goats will learn their boundaries and settle down. I personally, would NOR let her act that way, while standing next to me, or while I am around. It is one thing if you aren't around. but in my experience they can be taught to behave while standing next to the master of the herd, which is you. I have one doe that will do that to my dogs, and she will stop when I say, "Dancer, No!" in a firm voice. A couple times I have had to intervene and show her who was in charge. She has gotten the hint and knows not to run down my dogs, they aren't guard dogs, they are pets that come into the goat field when I am doing chores.

I am no trainer of animals, but I was consistant with her and would stand between them and her and use a very firm voice with her, if she went past me I would grab her or pop her on the ear.

Tags
diarrhea, scours

Quick Reply