Goats of the Month - Peanut & Puddles

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > Goat in labor problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
Coraxfeather

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Goat in labor problems

We have a goat in labor but she is not dilatting (sp). We have the vet comen but he can not make it until this afternoon. Any sugesstions. She is a 7 year old fainting goat that has never had problems with delivering babies. My friend saw that she was in labot this morning and put her in the birth barn and kept checking in on her through outr the night and than this mornign. She called me and ask me to ask you all on here. Vet is on the way but we need any advise on her. She is afraid to loose Lizzy. We just lost a doe while she was in labor this year. Either post here or call 724-406-0302

click on to make us grow

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
minibarn

Liked 99 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default Re: Goat in labor problems

how long has the doe been pushing? if it's more than 1/2 hour she needs help. if the cervix is partly dilated, you can stimulate it by gently pressing on the rim of the hole, going around the circle, and it might help it to dilate further. I had to do this multiple times with my last doe and eventually was successful. hopefully more experienced people will give you advice. keep us informed.

Carolyn
-mother of 3 teens, caretaker of 9 Boer goats, 20+ sheep, a few chickens, cats & 1 border collie; and I have a loving husband who keeps us all under control!

Old 01-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
apachedowns

I guess the question I want to ask is are you sure she is in full labor...meaning is she pushing ? are her ligs gone ? what is she doing ?

Old 01-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Coraxfeather

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Honestly I am no whjere near the farm. My friend wanted me to ask what she would do. All I know is what I posted and she has not gotten back with me. I have left her messages.

click on to make us grow

Old 01-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
apachedowns

Hmmm.maybe she is out there with the vet then I see you mentioned he was on the way...I will just keep checking here perodically as I am sure others are to see how things are going. Not much I can say unless I hear what she is doing or how she is acting. Sometimes they will just space out prior to labor...sometimes they will start pushing and then stop...there is such a huge list of ways they can act during or before labor. not sure without any info how to help.
I check the ligaments and if they can no longer be felt and she is pushing for a while I will put in a couple fingers to see if I feel a kid there and try to help her along .
Hopefully the vet is there and all is well...keep us posted.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
toth boer goats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4466 Times on 3287 Posts
Likes Given: 8280

Praying... she will be OK

If she isn't dilating...have your friend...wash up ..lube up and put her index finger and middle finger in the vulva inner edge...and gently pull outward( towards herself) working her way around.. in a circle within the vulva....when the Doe gets more dilation ....she should be able to start putting more of her hand in there...when this happens...... do the same technique but with her hand.......trying to work her hand in there...so she can help get the baby out...Her Doe will scream but...continue..try not to rip her...be as gentle as you can.....make sure... the baby is in the proper position...then ...if it is...proceed...try to get the hand in... so she is touching and her hand is cupping the babies head....
As momma pushes... continue working your hand around the babies head and dilate her... so she can get the head out... this will get her to dilate even more...work that head out...work around.. like I mentioned above...when the head is out ...the kid should come out easily.... when momma pushes.. pull gently downward.... and you should have a new born on the ground....
if she has a bubble showing and starting to come out ...still do this method....

Located in northern ca
selling Registered Fullbloods to commercial stock
http://tothboergoats.com/

Old 01-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #7
toth boer goats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

How are things?

Located in northern ca

Old 01-13-2012, 01:15 AM   #8
freedomstarfarm

Liked 255 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Gosh I hope things are ok. Like Pam had said earlier you can help a doe dilate by gently making circles with your finger in her vulva. Use a lubricated clean hand or lubricated gloved hand.

Nigerian Dwarf Goats
http://FreedomStarFarm.com

Old 01-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
Coraxfeather

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just got a message from her. She got her hand in to check on the baby and the baby is stuck up inside. She is on her way to the vet to save the doe or possibly both. The baby is to big for the doe. She can not pass it. Baby is still moven and the bag has not been broken. PLEASE PRAY. This is one of our full fainters and she is one of my friend's first babies when she desided to start breeding them. Her name is Tin Lizzy and she has a twin (we own him also) named Tin Man. These two where born on a sheet of tin. I will keep you all informed as soon as I get the info. My friend will save the mother and hope the baby lives.

click on to make us grow

Old 01-13-2012, 01:54 AM   #10
toth boer goats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Praying for her and her babies.... come on Tin Lizzy be OK

Located in northern ca