Goats of the Month - Peanut & Puddles

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > HELP QUICK my goat is foaming at the mouth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #21
LilBleatsFarm
Premier Colorado Nigerian Dwarf Breeder

Liked 469 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 348

110% not being snotty - but the search button is extremely helpful.

posted earlier this month on someone's goat who got into the chicken feed. Think I read this is what happened to your goatie .....

Chicken scratch is corn and milo.

"Corn is hard on a goat, as it can lead to ruminal acidosis and other pH imbalances.. A goat with a pH imbalance is primed for certain bacterial blooms in the gut, which can kill a goat in no time flat. Not to mention, corn contains waaaaaay too much phosphorus and not enough calcium to be safe for a goat. The Ca:P ratio on corn is like 1:6, whereas what's considered safe for a goat 2:1 or even 2.5:1. Too much phosphorus can and will lead to urinary calculi in young bucks and wethers. Not to mention, chicken scratch doesn't contain all the vitamins and minerals a goat requires."

Going off of the above paragraph, I would see about feeding her tumms/probios/vitb. Too much baking soda isn't good either. For the green snot, myself - I would give a shot of Nuflor (my favorite go to drug). I would take her off of all feed if she's on any.

Also - if you don't have charcoal and you're in a pinch the burnt part on toast works too. Takes a bit and it's hard to get them to eat it but works for human tummies pretty well.

And if you're running into town or someone is - you could try Gas-X?

If she does go down you'll need to try and tube her. Look in your barn/garage for any tubing that might work. Like what you might have in your fish acquariume (spelling ?) or ?. And I know this sounds heartless but if you do loose her, you can practice tubing on her. That way it won't feel so strange next time.

tenfairytoes Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #22
20kidsonhill

Liked 411 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 631

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAllen View Post
Is it double dose every 8-12 hrs for treatment?
C & D antitoxin can be used as short term prevention at one dosage and for treatment at a higher dose(twice as much as the prevention dosage). And yes, we gave it every 8 hours for treatment. Can't overdose it from what I have been told, but it can get expensive to use more than you need.

I give our adult goats(standard size breed) 10 to 15 cc at a time, and young goats 5 to 7 cc's at a time, and a really young kid about 3 to 5 cc at a time. twice the first day during an illness. I don't use it as prevention, but you most certainly can. But keep in mind it isn't long term prevention like a vaccine is(toxoid).

"""Dosage and Administration: (Prophlactic) Using aseptic technique, inject subcutaneously or intravenously: Calves - 10 mL; Cattle - 30 mL; Suckling lambs - 3 mL; All other sheep - 10 mL; Baby pigs - 2 mL administered orally or injected subcutaneously.

(Therapeutic) Increase dosage 100%."""

Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #23
20kidsonhill

I agree with Lilbeatsfarm, i wouldn't keep giving her baking soda, I personally give very little baking soda I prefer mineral oil and C&D antitoxin and antibiotic shots. I also like Nuflor(this is Rx).

She made some good suggestions.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #24
20kidsonhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfairytoes View Post
She got her second dose of anti-gas. I gave her maximum strength Mylanta she doesn't seem to be foaming but throwing up (I didn't know that was possible) liquid. Perhaps it's the liquid I am putting down her throat coming back out? I am thinking that's not so good for her. Still slooooowly walking around no laying down.
The mineral oil I just got about 1 oz I had a 2oz thing filled but I only do a little medicine dose thing I use. It's a little taste at at time so I don't drown her.

I would not give her any more water, if that is what you are referring to as liquid. I woldn't drench her with any more water or liquid other than the oil/gas medicine that she needs. If she wants to drink water on her own that would be fine.
Normally, an adult goat can handle being drenched with mineral oil, but chocking is never a good thing.
A vet would for sure tube feeding her the mineral oil.
tenfairytoes Likes This 
Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #25
Stacykins
Goats of da UP

Liked 527 Times on 291 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Tubing her would release a lot of pressure, and help remove some of the stomach contents. Do it like you would when trying to siphon gas out of a car, have her elevated higher than the end of the tubing. You'd get results instantly. And you can administer mineral oil directly into her rumen, no choking risk.

I really hope your poor girl pulls through. Bloat is awful, I know its horror well.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #26
tenfairytoes

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

No more foam spit nada. I dosed her again with mineral oil and Mylanta. She did lay down to sleep once that I saw. I gave her the CD&T shot (and my other goat too just to be safe). She is actually eating some hay or nibbling. Not sure but I did pull her away to dose her and she went back to it. I have blurry pictures sorry it's hard when I have a Nubian jumping on me and no idea what I was looking at with a black screen. She is 10 months and I took a pic of her belly. Up top looks pretty normal at this point. Her belly is pudgy. I did a lot of massaging. I think she actually looks completely different than this morning but she is still lackadaisical. Her equilibrium is a bit off as well. Pretty sure she's weak from not digesting or trying to or whatever her poor insides are going through. I wish I'd have taken a pic this morning but I was too busy trying to make her as comfortable as possible.

OH her stomach has stopped contracting or twitching.

I only gave her soda one time becuase then I had the Mylanta so from what you are saying I think I did good there. I hope

p.s. Sorry I didn't search first for this topic I was a little freaked before anyone was up in my house trying to figure it out before my little ones got up. And to be honest I totally didn't realize it was there.

Attached Thumbnails
millie-2-.jpg   millie-7-.jpg   millie-12-.jpg  

New to goats, jumped right.... in oh boy.-> 2 years later.....well these are fun!

Last edited by tenfairytoes; 11-28-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #27
fezz09

Liked 274 Times on 161 Posts

Well the exact same thing happened to my sheep, I found a recipe in my goat book of:
1/2cup-water
1/2cup-oil
2tablespoons-baking soda... Mix it all up and try and get 1cup into them but half is fine! I did that and it worked within minutes! Also my little wether goat got into the grain and it gave him the runs really bad and pepto bismal worked AWESOME... Unfortunately he is a white goat and by the time I wrestled the pepto into him he was pink and so was I but it seemed to work its magic!! Good luck!

Old 11-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #28
Tenacross
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1403 Times on 843 Posts
Likes Given: 1057

Sounds like things are getting better.
The only thing that caught my attention with your last post was the
"equilibrium being off". If she were mine, I'd give her 5cc/100lbs of
Fortified B Complex a couple of times a day or 1cc/100lbs of Thiamine.
I'd hate to see her develop polio after you saved her. At my farm,
I give the thiamine SQ for the first 2 or 3 days and then continue
giving it orally another 3 or 4 days. The Fort. B Comp is easier to get
though. I'd give it SQ.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #29
tenfairytoes

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

She shook her head once and she was all whoa side to side. So of course I have none of those things. Is that a vet purchase or a store purchase? It's a vitamin so it wouldn't harm her if she didn't need it right?

I am learning so much from you all THANK YOU ALL so much! I could cry really THANK YOU! I really think she his going to pull through. Obviously I am not goat savy yet but my uneducated guess is that she's going to live to freak me out with some other ailment.

New to goats, jumped right.... in oh boy.-> 2 years later.....well these are fun!

Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #30
ksalvagno
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10056 Times on 7271 Posts
Likes Given: 2298

You can get B Complex at the store. Get injectible B complex. It will get into her system faster. The Thiamine you will have to get from the vet.

Glad she is doing better.

Karen Salvagno
Salvagno Farm

tenfairytoes Likes This 

Quick Reply