Goats of the Month - Pumpkin Pie

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > Help w/Penicillin type brand ??? Please...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 03:05 AM   #1
Bellafire Farm

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default Help w/Penicillin type brand ??? Please...

So my doe has had a reaction to bio-mycin and I've been desperately trying to get her over her cough/snotty nose but am losing the battle and getting seriously concerned.
I've gone to every store in our little town and there is only

regular Penicillin: did not say Pen-Aquaus, just states Penicillin. The front of the bottle looks exactly like this picture below:

Or Durvet Dura-Pen (states only for beef cattle) - like this: http://www.ablackhorse.com/productcart/ ... oduct=3524

The Dura-Pen has the correct penicillin amounts for long-acting penicillin, but it scares me that it states specifically for beef cattle only????? Has anyone ever used this on their goaties???

Attached Thumbnails
penicillin.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 03:15 AM   #2
citylights

Liked 41 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default Re: Help w/Penicillin type brand ??? Please...

Ugh! I can't read your lable, but I have a bottle of Pen-Aqueous andit says that it's penicillin g procaine. if yours says it's pen procaine, I'd think it's about the same. The dosage is 1 ml per 100 lbs, adminstered IM.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:33 AM   #3
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2027 Times on 1294 Posts
Likes Given: 5733

Send a message via Yahoo to liz

The Durvet is what I get at TSC...Same as the label you pictured. Penicillan G Procaine is what I can see on your label...as well as 300,000units/mL? I use this at a doseage of 1cc per 20lbs

Old 03-04-2011, 04:03 AM   #4
citylights

Liked 41 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Wow, Liz -- my bottle says "3000 unit per lb of body weight, 1 ml per 100 pound bodyweight" although that just doesn't sound right to me.....I have pen aquaeous, durvet, 300,000 units/ml....

Old 03-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
Bellafire Farm

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I've found confusing dosages and also confusion about whether to give one dose per day or two???

From Fiasco_

Quote:
Drug Name:

Procaine Penicillin G-
300,000 units Procaine Penicillin per ml
Brand Names:

Pfi-Pen
Agri-cillin
US Vet Penicillin G Procaine

For treatment of:
Penicillin is effective against gram-positive bacteria. Good for streptococcus infections, chronic pneumonia and other infections
Goat dose: SQ Injection
1ml per 15 lbs. twice daily - Treat from 5-14 days, never less than 5. It should be used at least 5 days and until all symptoms have disappeared, whichever comes first.
Milk withholding time: 14- 20 days
Notes:
There is a widespread resistance to this drug.
Do not give Oxytetracycline and Penicillin at the same time. When given together, the tetracycline causes a chemical reaction that stops the effectiveness of Penicillin.
From GoatLink_
Quote:
DOSAGE: 1cc/20lbs goat weight is the average figure to use

Goat Dosage:
Kids:1-2ml SC (SQ) for baby goats (8-25lbs), 1 or 2 times daily.
Adults: 6-10 ml SC (SQ) for adult goats, 2X daily.
You can double recommend maximum dose on first injection, then divided daily dose and inject every 12 hours for 2-3 days, then 1X daily thereafter.
It should be administered for 5 days after all symptoms have disappeared
From GoatWorld_
Quote:
Procaine Penicillin G (Regular) - Good for treating Clostridial myositis, Enterotoxemia, or Strep. mastitis. Generally used twice a day. Give in the muscle if you want the blood level to come up faster. SQ injections are less damaging and usually less painful than IM injections. Penicillin injections that hit a blood vein can kill an animal almost immediately. Dosage recommended between 3-5 cc per 100 lbs.
From Allexperts.com_
Quote:
Penicillin should be dosed at 3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day for 5 days - you can give this either subcutaneously or intramuscularly. Subcu is between the shoulder blades. Intramuscular is in the thigh muscle - with intramuscular injections of antibiotics though you need to be sure to pull back on the plunger before injecting the med as if the needle is in a vein (red flash of blood when plunger is pulled back) you need to try another spot as goats can get anaphylactic shock (can be fatal) if antibiotics are injected into their veins.
From SheepandGoat.com_
Quote:
1 ml/100 lb (3000 IU/lb)/lb IM daily for a maximum of 7 days
From Homesteading.com_
Quote:
The thread on DGI.com that talked about pneumonia and lungworm said give 5cc per 100 lb IM. I searched just "penicillin dose" and the consensus was 6.6 cc per 100 SQ.

These are all specifically for the Procaine Pen G (300,000) type Penicillin. I do trust all these websites...but think there is a lot of differences in dosages mainly because there is just SO MUCH that is not yet determined about goats in particular...

Quick Reply