Goats of the Month - Pumpkin Pie

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > Need Help: Sick Goat? (White gums, eyelids)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
DixieDarlin
She's somethin' you can't tame. She's a Mustang.

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Need Help: Sick Goat? (White gums, eyelids)

I am a relatively new goat owner. I purchased a female bottle baby Nigerian Dwarf (Dixie) almost 2 months ago and just brought home a 4 month old female Boer goat (Abilene) to keep her company.

I was looking the new goat over today to assess her health and how she's handling the move. I noticed that she has lice hanging on her hair shafts and crawling all around on her. There are A LOT of them. I'm not sure if they are sucking or biting lice though. I am aware sucking lice can cause anemia if it's severe enough and I'm worried she may be anemic already. I have her sepearted from my baby goat and I am making a trip to TSC tomorrow for some Python Dust to rid her of this infestation and prevent Dixie from getting them.

I am also worried she may have a heavy worm load. She seems to be somewhat bloated in the belly, kind of "weak/lethargic", and the white eyelids and gums.
She is CDT vaccinated and I have been trying to get her to take a dose of pelleted Dumor dewormer but she seems very uninterested in it I even mixed some honey with it.

She will eat grass/weeds and nibble on grain but it's not like a healthy goat would "gobble" up grain normally. I am taking a fecal to the vet as soon as possible but since it's Sunday I would really appreciate any suggestions and advice from experienced goat owners to help me out.

Thank you!

- Sara King @ Dixie Darlin' Farm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
ogfabby

Liked 408 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I would go ahead and deworm her with either valbazen (1 cc per 10 lbs orally) or ivomec plus (1 cc per 40 lbs injected sub q). I would also get a fecal done and make sure they check for coccidia. Start her on fortified b complex (1 cc per 20 lbs sub q) and red cell (given orally at 1 cc per 20 lbs).

That will up her energy and appetite, support rebuilding of red blood cells, and get rid of internal parasites.

People Like This 
Old 07-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
happybleats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7577 Times on 5196 Posts
Likes Given: 12915

I agree with ogfabby Pellet wormers are usually not effective since you cant make them eat then, cant be sure they ate enough there for creating a resistance to the wormer ...best to just give wormer when needed : )
if she has sucking lice the Iv.plus will take care of that too..I would do wormer 3 times 10 days apart then again in 30 days to give her a good head start...

Cathy
Happybleatsdairygoats.weebly.com
Lamancha; Saanen, mini saanen and a few precious Nigies.....
Tons of chicken; turkey; ducks; hair sheep; cats ;dogs and donkeys....plus 8 human kids and one awesome hubby of 33 years

Old 07-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #4
lottsagoats

Liked 651 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Yup, I'd go with the ivermectin + because it will kill internal and external parasites.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
dezak91

Liked 50 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just a question here: could you give iron injections instead of the redcell? There was something about redcell that I heard that was negative but I don't remember what it was.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
happybleats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7577 Times on 5196 Posts
Likes Given: 12915

Iron shots are just fine too...works faster...
on the red cell, from what I understand, there was talk that red cell used to be made with beef liver..it no longer is..so its safe to give Goats...

we should never feed any ruminants meat product...

Cathy
Happybleatsdairygoats.weebly.com
Lamancha; Saanen, mini saanen and a few precious Nigies.....
Tons of chicken; turkey; ducks; hair sheep; cats ;dogs and donkeys....plus 8 human kids and one awesome hubby of 33 years

Old 07-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
dezak91

Liked 50 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes Happybleats! That's what it was, ok, good! Now I can use it and not have to worry, thank you.

Quick Reply