Goats of the Month - Pumpkin Pie

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > Nigerian goat suddenly died.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
Stone08

Hi everyone, I'm just looking for some comfort as to why my baby goat passed away yesterday. He was about 9 months old, Nigerian whether. I got him and his brother when they were just 5 weeks old and bottle fed them both. I have been feeding them alfalfa and sweet feed and they always have plenty of water.
About 3 weeks ago my lab got into the goat pen and attacked my little goat's ears (Baby boy Bleu). Both ears were bleeding and had sores on them but not bad enough to where I thought they would need to be amputated. I received advice from someone to clean the area with bactine antiseptic and pain reliever (benzalkonium and lidocaine) to help keep from infection. cleaned the wounds about 2-3 times a day. After about 2 days I noticed one of his wounds was yellow which I know is a sign of infection. I continued to clean the wounds and after about 5 days, his wounds started to scab up and the yellow went away. I thought after they had begun to scab that they were healing and figured he was ok. I went out to feed my goats yesterday and my little guy, Bleu was lying on his side in his goat house dead :,(
Was it the wounds that got infected and killed him? That is the only thing I can pinpoint this to be from.
Also my other goat (Blitz) is now all alone. Will he be ok or do I need to get another goat. He has not ever been alone because they have been together ever since they were born.
Please help me understand I'm not a goat expert but I love my goats. Any advice would surely be appreciated.
Thanks!!

Last edited by Stone08; 03-02-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
KW Farms
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2007 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Send a message via AIM to KW Farms

I kind of think possibly the stress got to him. Goats don't do very well under stress. Their immunes go down and things can go wrong. Maybe his immune system went down and he had worms or cocci flare up quickly and that did it. But without a necropsy it's hard to say for sure. It could have been anything really...maybe something totally unrelated.

I would definately get another goat for your other one. He's probably pretty lonely without his buddy.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Facebook: KW Farms
caprine crazy Likes This 
Old 03-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
MissyParkerton

Liked 75 Times on 52 Posts

What a sad, sad, story. So sorry for your loss. I couldn't say whether the little guy's ear wounds could have been the cause of death of death or not. How was he acting otherwise before he died? Was he urinating ok? Male goats, especially wethers, need the calcium/phosphorus ratio in their diet balance 2/1 or even 3/1 to help prevent urinary calculi stones, which can be fatal. Alfalfa is generally 5/1 cal/phos. It would be a good idea to mix yours 50/50 with a good grass hay to bring the ratio more into balance. How much grain are you feeding? Excess protein is a culprit in urinary calculi too. My boys get less than 1/2C/day. Many people don't feed grain at all. The grain should also have the correct 2/1-3/1 cal/phos ratio. Also, be sure to offer a loose goat mineral free choice so they get the minerals they need. They don't get enough or the right balance from grain and hay. If it were me, I would definitely get a companion for your remaining goat. Goats can actually die from loneliness. Other than being lonely, how is he acting? Make sure he's urinating ok.

Again, I'm so sorry you lost your little Bleu.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Stone08

Thank you both for your reply to this. I'm extremely sadden by this and I would like to prevent any further problems with my goat and future goats.
Thank you the advice on the feeding and mineral needs. Like I said I'm pretty new to owning goats so I will be sure to incorporate this into the diet.
Bleu seemed to be acting normal after the dog attack. He was urinating ok I thought however I did notice about 2 days before he died that he seemed to be a little standoffish. Usually when I bring out food to their pen, they both would coming running to the gate and follow me until I put their food down. When I went out to feed 2 nights before he died I saw him cuddled up in the goat house and he would come our voluntarily. Which was not usual for him but I guess I sort of shrugged it off thinking maybe he was just trying to warm up ( I live in Utah and its been pretty chilly lately!) I coaxed him out and pet him for a few minutes and picked up and put him in front of his food. He ate a couple bites then slowly walked back to his house. I thought it was odd but honestly didn't think he seemed weak, or sick or anything. Ugh it just breaks my heart that I was not thinking he was sick and could have helped him:,(
That was the only time out of 3 weeks since the attack that I noticed anything odd.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
StaceyRosado
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2797 Times on 1752 Posts
Likes Given: 588

the infection could have moved to his brain.

End of The Line Farm
Facebook fan page

Old 03-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
milkmaid
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Liked 1069 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 1412

I am so sorry. That is very sad. Like others are saying, it could have been anything, related to the dog attack or unrelated.
The main precaution against UC that most people take is to feed ammonium chloride or apple cider vinegar, a little each day. This seems to prevent UC regardless of the Ca/P ratio, but it's always a good idea to balance minerals and feed less grain. In fact, wethers can usually do great without any grain at all as long as they have a good quality hay and maybe some grass or browse.
Yes, the other little guy does need a buddy. I can tell you love your goats very much. They are blessed to have such an attentive human!

Think not that life owes you a debt;
To lose it is to live;
'Twas not bestowed on you to keep,
But to give, and give, and give.

Don't clasp it close, but fling it wide!
Do good to great and small.
Keep no account of loss or gain;
Ask nothing, and give all.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
PearcePastures

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 51

So sorry for your loss.

Nigerian Dwarf and Pygmy Goats
http://pearcepastures.weebly.com/index.html

Old 03-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
MissyParkerton

I give my boys 1/4 tsp ammonium chloride/day mixed into their grain with a little agave nectar so they can't taste it so much. My vet told me that without the correct cal/phos ratio the ammonium chloride would do little good. It will be also be important for you to give BoSe (selenium) injections, or selenium/Vit E gel orally if you live in a selenium deficient area. Here's a link to a map so you can check. If you also live in a copper deficient area (the same site has that map too) you may also need to supplement with extra copper. If you do a search on this forum you will find lots of info about these 2 minerals.

http://mrdata.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/se/usa.html

Old 03-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
MissyParkerton

[QUOTE="MissyParkerton;1338696"]I give my boys 1/4 tsp ammonium chloride/day mixed into their grain

Oops, that is supposed to be 1/4tsp per 50# body weight.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
audrey

Liked 509 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 351

You could get a necropsy done to find out for sure.

Quick Reply