Goat of the Month - Abigail Hope

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > Precocious Udder doe update

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
whatknott

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Precocious Udder doe update

Many of you were such a big help with my nubian doe Hope when she was very sick and had the precocious udder. Thought I would give an update.
She is big, fat, healthy and bossy as ever! However, she still has the swollen udder on the one side...looks about the same as before she got sick, but slightly smaller. She now is almost impossible to work with - she always was a toughie when it came time to do anything with her. If I can get my husband to hold her still (and that isn't even possible to say "still"), if I massage the udder, I can get the clear liquid out for about 7-8 small squirts. Still no sign of milk, no thickness at all to the liquid - just looks like water. Which is what it was like the whole time she was sick. My dairy goat friend said that maybe I should try using Tomorrow again, but I think I would need to get more fluid out of her udder and it just doesn't work. Since she's acting fine, I may just leave it alone and make sure it's not getting larger. If one of you saw the udder in person, you would probably be shocked at how large it is, but for me, it's so much smaller than it had been!
I guess my question at this point, is if she comes back into heat, I'm thinking of breeding her to see if it will help out with this udder. The one side of the udder never was affected and since I bottlefeed all my goats anyway for the petting zoo, if she doesn't develop milk at all, that won't matter. Does anyone have a good reason why I shouldn't breed her? She's been in heat twice since she was sick, so about due again to cycle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
StaceyRosado
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2620 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 566

Default Re: Precocious Udder doe update

you know breeding her just might do the trick. I certainly would try it.

Glad to know she has pulled through though, I wasnt sure if she would. YOu should be commended for giving Hope you all for her.

End of The Line Farm
Facebook fan page

Old 01-10-2009, 02:57 AM   #3
toth boer goats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4097 Times on 3021 Posts
Likes Given: 7733

I agree ....I would breed her and see.....congrats .....

Located in northern ca
selling Registered Fullbloods to commercial stock
http://tothboergoats.com/

Old 01-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
whatknott

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well, I got the "approval" from two of my respected goat people - so now I'll just have to wait for Hope to come into heat again.
Stacey - I wasn't sure if she was going to pull through too - she was very sick, but she's got the spunky attitude - part of the problem in now trying to get any more fluid out of that udder...

Old 01-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
StaceyRosado
TGS_ADMIN.png

Having the will to live on their part really makes the difference.

End of The Line Farm
Facebook fan page

Old 01-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2000 Times on 1277 Posts
Likes Given: 5696

Send a message via Yahoo to liz

I'm so glad to hear that she is being her "normal" self! As long as she is having no sign of illness and is maintaining her weight, I agree with Toth and Stacey, having her bred may just fix the issue with her udder

Old 01-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
whatknott

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well, another update on Hope...when she came into heat, I put her in with my male pygmy(actually he's a fainter/nigerian/pygmy cross - but very cute and small and long silky hair). I don't think he was able to reach Hope being that she's a nubian, although a small nubian. AFter 3 days, she was gettting upset being in with him and wasn't eating well. So put her back with the herd, where she now butts the sheep, slams the goats she doesn't like at feeding time - otherwise she is acting her normal self!!
However, that udder is getting larger and larger again - only clear liquid can be expressed and to be honest, I've given up trying to do any more with the udder - she's so difficult to work with. Don't get me wrong, she's a very friendly goat and we have used her in our petting zoo since she was a baby. She loves people and they love her - but she's the boss at the farm and doesn't want anyone touching her in the backend or to get near her at feeding time.
Well, the vet had to come here to dehorn a calf last week, so I brought her up to his truck (that way i was hoping there would be no exam fee!! - I have over $200 in vet bills on this goat); he said, "OH MY!" when he saw the udder again. It's not quite as big or hard as the first time he saw it, but it's definitely large. He felt it and said, it's even warm - well, it's always been warm. So he took the temp, and it was fine. He was surprised that I tried to breed her, but I told him that we bottlefeed all our babies anyway, so that wasn't an issue, but I can't use her in the petting zoo the way she is now. He still feels that most of the udder is just dead tissue and the clear liquid is serum. So he finally said, why not let nature take it's course; if she gets worse again, put her down; if she is pregnant and it straightens out, then we're okay.

So I agree with him at this point - I'm tired of trying to work on her; if she's pregnant (which I am not even optimistic about) then maybe it will solve the problem. If she gets worse, I guess I have to make the ultimate decision about her. Thanks for listening again about this doe.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
StaceyRosado
TGS_ADMIN.png

oh thats sad, I do hope she is pregnant so you can see if that settles the issue. No one will ever fault you for you decisions, you have gone above and beyond for this doe.

End of The Line Farm
Facebook fan page

Old 01-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2000 Times on 1277 Posts
Likes Given: 5696

Send a message via Yahoo to liz

At least the vet is on the same page with you!

Her next heat though, since the buck is smaller, try to "hand breed"....and have both on a lead though if you have an area where the ground is sloped it will help him to reach her...have him on the high side. This has worked for me when my bucks were smaller than the does.....or even have her stand in front of a hay bale and have him stand on it. It'll be some work on your part, but you'll get the kids from it.

I hope that a pregnancy fixes her problem and that you won't need to make a decision.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
whatknott

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had actually thought of that when he was having problems - we used to raise miniature horses and had to come up with ideas to help the tiny stallions. Usually with goats, if there's a will, there's a way! But I never tried breeding with such a large difference in height. Will wait and may even try to breed her to a miniature nubian - there is someone not too far away from me - but not sure how she'll feel with a doe that looks this weird coming onto her property!!

Quick Reply