You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Goat Spot    

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness >

Pygmy goat not acting well



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
elvador
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 16
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Pygmy goat not acting well

I'm new here, and new to having goats. We recently bought 2 pygmy billies and everything has been fine until this week. One of them has not been eating much at all and I noticed it's throat sounded rough when it called out yesterday. Today he's just laying down in his little dog house and won't come out. Any advice would be much appreciated! michael


elvador is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
goatblessings
Fair-Haven
TGS_SUPPORTER.png
 
goatblessings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 1,613
Liked 1117 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 2205

Default

How old are your bucks? First get a temp. Digital thermometers (human kind) work just fine rectally. Temp should be between 101.5-103.5. If elevated, some kind of infection going on, antibiotics needed. If low, you need to work on the rumen. Have you had any recent changes in what they were fed? Have you had a recent fecal done? Are inner bottom of the eyelids nice and pink or pale? Are they utd on CDT? Need to know a bit more before we can help......


goatblessings is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
elvador
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 16
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatblessings View Post
How old are your bucks? First get a temp. Digital thermometers (human kind) work just fine rectally. Temp should be between 101.5-103.5. If elevated, some kind of infection going on, antibiotics needed. If low, you need to work on the rumen. Have you had any recent changes in what they were fed? Have you had a recent fecal done? Are inner bottom of the eyelids nice and pink or pale? Are they utd on CDT? Need to know a bit more before we can help......
I think they're about 6 months to a year old. I will try and get a temp and look at the eyelids. What is UTD on CDT? I don't know how to answer that one. They were wormed at the beginning of June.
elvador is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
goatblessings
Fair-Haven
TGS_SUPPORTER.png
 
goatblessings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 1,613
Liked 1117 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 2205

Default

Up to date on their annual CDT vaccination - which protects against overeating disease and tetanus. Has he had recent feed changes, and what are you feeding? Is poop normal and peeing ok?
goatblessings is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
elvador
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 16
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatblessings View Post
Up to date on their annual CDT vaccination - which protects against overeating disease and tetanus. Has he had recent feed changes, and what are you feeding? Is poop normal and peeing ok?
The folks we bought them from said they were up to date. No recent feed changes except for being in a new yard. They also eat a horse protein feed that the previous owners were feeding them. We just continued that.
elvador is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #6
elvador
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 16
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I was able to get a temp, 101.3. Eyes look normal, but he just doesn't seem to have any energy at all. He finally did come out of the dog house for a bit.
elvador is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #7
toth boer goats
TGS_MODERATOR.png
 
toth boer goats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: corning california
Posts: 57,293
Liked 8966 Times on 6785 Posts
Likes Given: 16302

Default

Give probiotics and fortified vit B complex shot SQ 6 cc's per 100 lbs for 4 days.
It sounds like her rumen is upset.

Has the goat been upset and yelling a lot? If s, they do go hoarse and lose their voices sometimes, she will be OK if she has been yelling out a lot.

Does her lungs sound congested?
__________________
http://www.tothboergoats.com/
~Pam~
Toth boer goats
Located in northern ca
selling Registered Fullbloods to commercial stock
http://tothboergoats.com/
toth boer goats is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #8
elvador
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 16
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toth boer goats View Post
Give probiotics and fortified vit B complex shot SQ 6 cc's per 100 lbs for 4 days.
It sounds like her rumen is upset.

Has the goat been upset and yelling a lot? If s, they do go hoarse and lose their voices sometimes, she will be OK if she has been yelling out a lot.

Does her lungs sound congested?
His lungs seem to be fine. He really hasn't been making any sounds at all, but if I pick him up, he will yell, but it's not loud like it was 2 days ago. He probably only weighs about 20 pounds. Is there a good online source for the probiotics, and which do you recommend? Is this time sensitive enough that I shouldn't wait for shipping?
elvador is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
ksalvagno
Moderator
TGS_MODERATOR.png
 
ksalvagno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Central Ohio
Posts: 44,896
Liked 16828 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 2436

Default

You need to treat the rumen asap. Get yogurt in him. You can get Probios at Tractor Supply.
__________________
Karen Salvagno
Salvagno Farm
ksalvagno is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #10
elvador
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 16
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalvagno View Post
You need to treat the rumen asap. Get yogurt in him. You can get Probios at Tractor Supply.
Will do!


elvador is offline  
toth boer goats Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buckling not acting well AmyJoe Health & Wellness 12 08-02-2016 04:32 AM
New Pygmy Buckling Acting Lethargic ~Willow~ Health & Wellness 15 07-29-2011 11:41 PM
Pygmy or not to Pygmy that is the question pokie312 Beginners Goat Raising 14 06-28-2011 02:51 PM
I'm very concerned. Goat is not acting as usual. CrockettsLastStand Health & Wellness 74 07-23-2010 12:49 PM
goat not acting well gotgoats Health & Wellness 9 06-15-2009 08:48 PM