You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Goat Spot    

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness >

Pygmy goat not acting well

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
elvador

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Pygmy goat not acting well

I'm new here, and new to having goats. We recently bought 2 pygmy billies and everything has been fine until this week. One of them has not been eating much at all and I noticed it's throat sounded rough when it called out yesterday. Today he's just laying down in his little dog house and won't come out. Any advice would be much appreciated! michael

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
goatblessings
Fair-Haven
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1117 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 2205

How old are your bucks? First get a temp. Digital thermometers (human kind) work just fine rectally. Temp should be between 101.5-103.5. If elevated, some kind of infection going on, antibiotics needed. If low, you need to work on the rumen. Have you had any recent changes in what they were fed? Have you had a recent fecal done? Are inner bottom of the eyelids nice and pink or pale? Are they utd on CDT? Need to know a bit more before we can help......

Old 06-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
elvador

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatblessings View Post
How old are your bucks? First get a temp. Digital thermometers (human kind) work just fine rectally. Temp should be between 101.5-103.5. If elevated, some kind of infection going on, antibiotics needed. If low, you need to work on the rumen. Have you had any recent changes in what they were fed? Have you had a recent fecal done? Are inner bottom of the eyelids nice and pink or pale? Are they utd on CDT? Need to know a bit more before we can help......
I think they're about 6 months to a year old. I will try and get a temp and look at the eyelids. What is UTD on CDT? I don't know how to answer that one. They were wormed at the beginning of June.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
goatblessings
Fair-Haven
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1117 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 2205

Up to date on their annual CDT vaccination - which protects against overeating disease and tetanus. Has he had recent feed changes, and what are you feeding? Is poop normal and peeing ok?

Old 06-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
elvador

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatblessings View Post
Up to date on their annual CDT vaccination - which protects against overeating disease and tetanus. Has he had recent feed changes, and what are you feeding? Is poop normal and peeing ok?
The folks we bought them from said they were up to date. No recent feed changes except for being in a new yard. They also eat a horse protein feed that the previous owners were feeding them. We just continued that.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #6
elvador

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was able to get a temp, 101.3. Eyes look normal, but he just doesn't seem to have any energy at all. He finally did come out of the dog house for a bit.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #7
toth boer goats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8966 Times on 6785 Posts
Likes Given: 16302

Give probiotics and fortified vit B complex shot SQ 6 cc's per 100 lbs for 4 days.
It sounds like her rumen is upset.

Has the goat been upset and yelling a lot? If s, they do go hoarse and lose their voices sometimes, she will be OK if she has been yelling out a lot.

Does her lungs sound congested?
Located in northern ca
selling Registered Fullbloods to commercial stock
http://tothboergoats.com/

Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #8
elvador

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toth boer goats View Post
Give probiotics and fortified vit B complex shot SQ 6 cc's per 100 lbs for 4 days.
It sounds like her rumen is upset.

Has the goat been upset and yelling a lot? If s, they do go hoarse and lose their voices sometimes, she will be OK if she has been yelling out a lot.

Does her lungs sound congested?
His lungs seem to be fine. He really hasn't been making any sounds at all, but if I pick him up, he will yell, but it's not loud like it was 2 days ago. He probably only weighs about 20 pounds. Is there a good online source for the probiotics, and which do you recommend? Is this time sensitive enough that I shouldn't wait for shipping?

Old 06-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
ksalvagno
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 16828 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 2436

You need to treat the rumen asap. Get yogurt in him. You can get Probios at Tractor Supply.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #10
elvador

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalvagno View Post
You need to treat the rumen asap. Get yogurt in him. You can get Probios at Tractor Supply.
Will do!

toth boer goats Likes This 

Quick Reply