You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Goat Spot    

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness >

Pygmy goat not acting well

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2017, 12:20 AM   #21
elvador

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We absolutely are treating him, and now are looking for a companion for the other goat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #22
elvador

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So after a fecal analysis and a long talk with our vet, I'm fairly convinced our little Pygmy died from overeating. When we purchased them, we were given some feed (corn based horse feed) and given a daily amount to feed them. According to the vet, this feed should never be used for Pygmy goats and even so the amount was way too much.

I feed really badly for our little guy, but we've learned from this mistake. We have gone now to a couple of small handfuls of alfalfa per our vet and our other Pygmy is doing very well, grazing all day like he's supposed to.

I just wanted to pass this along in case anyone else has had a similar issue.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #23
Robinsonfarm

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

So sorry for your loss. You are making the best step for your future goat by working with your vet and learning all you can about their care.
Are you keeping them as pets or planning on breeding them?
Most goats don't really need grain unless milking or feeding inadequate hay. My bucks and weathers get no grain, my does get some alfalfa pellets in the evening just as a treat for them coming in from pasture on their own. The milk does get a commercial goat grain with BOSS and calf manna if they need a little help maintaining their weight.

Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM   #24
elvador

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinsonfarm View Post
So sorry for your loss. You are making the best step for your future goat by working with your vet and learning all you can about their care.
Are you keeping them as pets or planning on breeding them?
Most goats don't really need grain unless milking or feeding inadequate hay. My bucks and weathers get no grain, my does get some alfalfa pellets in the evening just as a treat for them coming in from pasture on their own. The milk does get a commercial goat grain with BOSS and calf manna if they need a little help maintaining their weight.
No, they are wethers and both males. In your opinion, do they need anything other than the alfalfa at night?

Quick Reply