Goats of the Month - Peanut & Puddles

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > Questions about rumen shutting down- Symptoms??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
ilovetrees

Default Questions about rumen shutting down- Symptoms??

Over the last few weeks I have been nursing a sick goat (with some very good advice from the goat spot). Over this time I have been reading and learning a lot. We only have the two goats and I never spent a lot of time watching or listening to their rumen activity before this.
I now suspect that my goat's rumen had all but shut down when he was at his sickest. He was sub for at least 5 days before I got his temperature up. He now has tummy gurgles and smelly burps which he didn't when he was sick.

If this was the case, what other symptoms might there have been? Also, does anyone know how this might look on blood work?? I ask because the tests showed that pretty much everything had shut down and suggested strongly that he had/has cancer, but it is hard to believe it when I see him getting stronger every day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
StaceyRosado
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2729 Times on 1711 Posts
Likes Given: 570

Default Re: Questions about rumen shutting down- Symptoms??

gurgles and burps mean his rumen is working -- if he is getting stronger thats a good thing. I missed your other posts about this guy (but Ive been super busy so it happens).

End of The Line Farm
Facebook fan page

Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
toth boer goats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4398 Times on 3232 Posts
Likes Given: 8135

I agree ...if he is gurgling and burping....his rumen is working....

Here is a link about the rumen and things that can happen....
http://www.boergoats.com/clean/articleads.php?art=36

Not sure how to answer why... he is getting better.. when his blood work showed..such bad results.....
That is a plus he is improving.... are you sure ...you have the right test results and it isn't someone elses?.... Check the name on it... Hopefully there was a mix up...

Anyway....I am glad to hear.. he is doing OK...... praying that... he will live a long and healthy life....

Located in northern ca
selling Registered Fullbloods to commercial stock
http://tothboergoats.com/

Old 03-26-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
ilovetrees

When a goat's rumen shuts down does the goat get diahrea, or stay pellets? Can it result in shut down of liver/kidney and would it effect white and red blood cell count? Basically, I am wondering if the blood test results of a shut down rumen could mimic cancer.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
StaceyRosado
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2729 Times on 1711 Posts
Likes Given: 570

that I dont know

End of The Line Farm
Facebook fan page

Old 03-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #6
ilovetrees

yes- his blood results.

Thanks for the article ... all of this has me scratching my head because Oliver and our second (and healthy) goat- Heidi, were never exposed to any of the conditions that might lead to an unhealthy rumen. We had a round bale for our horse with a little mould when I looked at the inside. Would that have been enough?

How long after a rumen begins to shut down does it become a deadly condition? From what I read is seems to be a very quick process-days, but when we look back Oliver was fading for quite a while. It started with little things months back like not jumping on the door or his tire when we came in. I never gave it much thought then.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
milk and honey

Liked 628 Times on 382 Posts

I'm pretty much a newbie... so I dont have any insights for you, but this post is very interesting.. Is he continuing to get better? I hope he makes it.. and I love the name Oliver (my name is also Heidi BTW) Could you post a pic of them? Anyway, I'm glad he's feeling better and I truly hope it continues!

Old 03-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
toth boer goats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4398 Times on 3232 Posts
Likes Given: 8135

As long as he is not in any pain and he is improving....After those test results ...I'd count your blessings.....

If there was a little mold in the hay that isn't good.... sometimes that is all it takes to poison a goat....some goats are more prone to get sick... while others...can be OK...eating a very small amount and not have an issue....
If there is a feed source.... they are given and it happens to have mold in it...and they have no other choices of feed.....goats or any other animal will eat almost anything...even if it isn't good for them..... as they may have no other choices..

Always smell...and look at any feed you give whether it be grain or hay ect.... look at it...smell it....when you tear it apart does it have a bunch of particle mold dust flying all over...if it looks moldy...smells moldy ...not look moldy but smells moldy....all not good....never feed it.....

Alot of things can knock off the rumen.... not enough roughage is one...
Under certain conditions....a rumen can shut down real quick depending on the circumstances...... and yes... if we don't intervene and get the rumen going right away...such as Probiotics...baking soda... stealing cud from another...depending on severity..... It is very deadly..if left untreated...the quicker the response to the illness the better the recovery....

With Cancer... it can spread slowly or quickly......it could possibly be.. in the belly area....as he doesn't want to stretch....by getting up on the door... it may be uncomfortable doing that .....

Prayers sent that way for Oliver....

Located in northern ca
selling Registered Fullbloods to commercial stock
http://tothboergoats.com/

Old 03-30-2011, 02:20 AM   #9
ilovetrees

It is the craziest thing. Oliver continues to improve. He even jumped onto his tire today which I haven't seen in about 3 months. We have started letting him outside for about 2 hours each day to see how things are- but he is still eating only softened carrots, softened lamb starter and free access to hay and mineral.

Other than being a little slower and jumpy than his 'real' personality, the only other hint that anyone would have that he was pretty much on death's door is that there is still some foaming around his mouth when he is first getting up. Ideas??

Thinking of causes for this- other than the obvious, cancer now in some type of reprieve, I am still wondering about mould. The round bale we had was 98% good. I only found mould on one spot on the inside roll. Would a goat eat that part of it if there were better options?

I tried to attach a couple of photos. What a lesson in technology!! I learned how to resize. Yay! I noticed in one of the photos my daughter has a dog collar on them. What a silly girl. The collars aren't part of their normal get-up, but the goats will put up with just about anything for attention.

Attached Thumbnails
oliver-baby.jpg   oliver-heidi-tires_2.jpg  

Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 AM   #10
ilovetrees

Another question.. How do I post a photo beside my name on the left panel?
Thanks!

Quick Reply