Goat of the Month - Abigail Hope

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > Sweet smelling urine...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
NyGoatMom
Nuts about my goats!

Liked 3064 Times on 2160 Posts
Likes Given: 6928

Default Sweet smelling urine...

Hi guys,
Another question....Bailey,my kinder doe is very pregnant....in fact I have her in a stall watching her right now. She does not appear to be in active labor but her ligaments are gone....her pooch is slightly puffy and she has a half a bag or more...(lol...best way I could describe it!) I believe she is a FF and seems perfectly healthy except her urine has a sweet odor, and the last couple of sunny days she has had episodes of panting....yesterday while I was busy with my Nubian who was kidding...I had my son hose Bailey down with the hose on mist to cool her off. This seemed to do the trick and the panting stopped.

Right now she is eating like a mad woman! So as I said, all is good except the urine smells sweet.

Please tell me if I should take any preventative measures to stave off any problems. She gets sweet feed daily, should I give her molasses and karo? Or just wait it out?

~Stephanie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
lottsagoats

Liked 637 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Sweet smelling urine usually means ketosis (pregnancy toxemia).

How is her weight? How much grain is she getting? Usually a doe with ketosis will stop eating. Sometimes not enough calcium will present like ketosis. Maybe if you add some alfalfa pellets or something alfalfa like to her diet?

My goats all pant when they lay out in the sun. Personally, unless their temp is really high, like sunstroke, i wouldn't spray them with water. I'd just move her into a shady place.

Do you have any way of getting ketosis strips and test her urine for ketones? That would tell you if that was a problem with her or not.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
happybleats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6508 Times on 4463 Posts
Likes Given: 11174

Here is some importantinfo on ketosis...I would begin treatment just in case : ) http://www.sweetlix.com/media/documents/articles/Goat_Ketosis%20or%20Pregnancy%20Toxemia%20in%20the %20Doe.pdf

Cathy
Happybleatsdairygoats.weebly.com
Lamancha; Saanen, mini saanen and a few precious Nigies.....
Tons of chicken; turkey; ducks; hair sheep; cats ;dogs and donkeys....plus 8 human kids and one awesome hubby of 33 years

Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
NyGoatMom
Nuts about my goats!

[QUOTE=lottsagoats;1392785]Sweet smelling urine usually means ketosis (pregnancy toxemia).

How is her weight? How much grain is she getting? Usually a doe with ketosis will stop eating. Sometimes not enough calcium will present like ketosis. Maybe if you add some alfalfa pellets or something alfalfa like to her diet?

My goats all pant when they lay out in the sun. Personally, unless their temp is really high, like sunstroke, i wouldn't spray them with water. I'd just move her into a shady place.

Do you have any way of getting ketosis strips and test her urine for ketones? That would tell you if

Well her weight is hard to say...she is very round at the moment...her appetite is fine,she gets up and moves fine...but now she is smelling her own urine and curling her lip like a buck? Is this a sign of labor or ketosis or what?

I will give her tums (how many?)
Thanks for the response!

~Stephanie

Old 05-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
goathiker
I'm watching you
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7144 Times on 3909 Posts
Likes Given: 766

5 or 6 might help. My does always pant the last couple days before they deliver. Is she getting alfalfa?

I tried to be normal once, it was the worst 2 minutes of my life...

Old 05-05-2013, 01:40 AM   #6
NyGoatMom
Nuts about my goats!

Hi, sorry internet went out and doe kidded....lol...so anyway, she seems fine now after delivering two does so I am at 4 doelings and no bucklings this year.

Goathiker-she gets alfalfa pellets daily....I am watching her like a hawk, but so far no problems except I'd like to see her bag fill...it's not really tight yet.But we know she has some in there, just not sure how long before she fills up...

Her urine and smelling it has subsided somewhat....

~Stephanie

Old 05-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #7
happybleats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6508 Times on 4463 Posts
Likes Given: 11174

congrats!!! Im happy she did well....

Cathy
Happybleatsdairygoats.weebly.com
Lamancha; Saanen, mini saanen and a few precious Nigies.....
Tons of chicken; turkey; ducks; hair sheep; cats ;dogs and donkeys....plus 8 human kids and one awesome hubby of 33 years

NyGoatMom Likes This 

Quick Reply