The Goat Spot - Goat Forum

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum (http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/)
-   Health & Wellness (http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f186/)
-   -   What could this have been? (http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f186/what-could-have-been-106491/)

mistyblue 12-02-2008 05:44 PM

What could this have been?

About 3 months ago Red my fainting/pygmy wether was acting like he was in distress.

I had him in with my young nigerian buck, and no does. Well we noticed that Red was vocalizing alot, did not seem to be peeing ( he dripped, no blood), did not want to get up and move around even to eat. Now when I did make him get up he was wet underneath and the ground was wet where he had been laying, I was thinking maybe he had a blocked uretha. Well we gave him some time to see if he improved or not, seperated him from the nigerian. (no vet as we do not have a local vet that will see goats.)Gave him more hay and less pelleted feed.

For the first week I really thought we would lose him, then he started to improve after about 10-12 days. Things went back to normal, put his buddy back in with him for company. Then about 3 weeks later it happened again. We did the same thing all over again, once again he got better.

Now I have not put nigerian buck back in with him as we cought the buck mounting him and Red's back is already messed up from being a practice roping dummy for a 10yr old boy who would even sit on him.

My question is does this sound like a blocked uretha or could it have been from being mounted by the buck.

kelebek 12-02-2008 05:49 PM

Re: What could this have been?

It very well could have been a block - but could have very well been a pinched nerve also..... you might want to have an x-ray done (if you can find an equine vet or something that has a mobile unit) and see if he has some degenerative disease in the discs

toth boer goats 12-02-2008 06:05 PM

As ...Allison...said .........I really recommend that you take him into a vet.....try to call around and find one..that may be able to help.....It may be Urinary Calculi..(stones)

Urinary Calculi requires immediate medical attention. This condition will not correct itself and if left untreated, the goat will die. :hug:

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... uli06.html

sweetgoats 12-02-2008 06:30 PM

I agree with Allison. I do know it has to be really hard when you can not find a goat vet. I would say keep trying. Call all the vets. I would not put him in with the buck at all. But I would get some Ammonia Chloride as soon as possible and get that in him NOW just in case it is UC. I had to put down a goat for a friend that had UC and I would NEVER want to see that again. It was horrible. (she got it to late)

kelebek 12-02-2008 06:40 PM

To me, and I have not delt with UC before, but it sounds to lean more towards a pinched nerve - only because he would get better, then be in with the buck and he would go down again - then recover when taken back out from being with the buck....

Amos 12-03-2008 01:49 AM

It does sound similar to UC, my Nubian wether just got over it. He would try to pee, but nothing would come out, he would hobble around, wouldn't eat, and basically just moped around and screamed his head off. We had the vet out, he worked the stone loose and gave him a shot of Banamine, and told us to give the wether ammonia chloride.

If your wether is better, it could be that the stone dissolved or dislodged itself, though I think thats pretty uncommon. I woulds definently start giving your bucks and wethers ammonia chloride.

I found this site somewhere a couple days after our wether got UC, very informative and helpful.

http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,13.0.html

toth boer goats 12-03-2008 07:49 PM

mistyblue...how is your baby goat doing? :worried:

mistyblue 12-04-2008 03:08 PM

Red is doing fine, running around getting into trouble. :roll:

I will have to try the ammonia and see if that helps. Also, I was told to put baking soda in with their minerals. Will this help with UC and since we are so humid here and everything hardens will they still get enough for it to work?

liz 12-05-2008 01:30 AM

Mystyb....that is Ammonium Chloride...not ammonia....any goat supply catalogue has it as well as quite a few goat care sites...if humidity is an issue you can add a teaspoon to their daily feed ration.....though I do think his back is the problem due to the fact that boys tend to "practice" on the "weaker" buck...all that activity may have caused a flare up but adding the ammonium chloride would be a great preventative, just in case he's having problems with small stones.

toth boer goats 12-05-2008 01:34 AM

I totally agree with liz's.....advice :) :thumbup:

I am glad he is doing OK.. :hug: