Goat of the Month - Abigail Hope

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Health & Wellness > Whats wrong with my baby?:(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
emilieanne

Liked 884 Times on 625 Posts

So my girl sophya, she is not acting right and is sick. We don't know what is wrong though..? Maybe y'all could help me?:/
she's standing in a corner, diarrhea, not even squatting to pee, dazing off, not reacting to anything, and has snot all around her nostrils.
This is just not her. She's not even caring what the baby does to her and usually she will walk away and tell him to knock it off.

No pictures, couldn't get any because her baby was all crazy
She's peeing but she just lets it dribble all over herself.
We checked her eyes and she has worms but it couldn't be that bad because we checked her two weeks ago and she was fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
dobe627

Liked 119 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Get a temp on her ASAP....... sounds like a few things. What do you have on hand? Vit B and an antibiotic sound like thay may be needed. Also the standing in a daze is worriesome. When you say you know she has worms, have you wormed her lately and with what? Iscalling a vet possible? The dazed could be a start of polio or just because she is sick. The snotty nose probably needs attention right away as well. Do you have any thing good to offer her to drink? Gatorade, bounce back electrolytes? Please get her temp and that will help us help you

Proud keeper of many animals.
http://www.hakeshiddenhollow.com

liz Likes This 
Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
emilieanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobe627 View Post
Get a temp on her ASAP....... sounds like a few things. What do you have on hand? Vit B and an antibiotic sound like thay may be needed. Also the standing in a daze is worriesome. When you say you know she has worms, have you wormed her lately and with what? Iscalling a vet possible? The dazed could be a start of polio or just because she is sick. The snotty nose probably needs attention right away as well. Do you have any thing good to offer her to drink? Gatorade, bounce back electrolytes? Please get her temp and that will help us help you
Well we just gave her 2 different vitamins that I forget what they were? One was red the other was orange. We gave her safeguard, 2 shots one im the other just regular under the skin, and antibiotics.
I'm back home now, so I can't really get her temp:/
We're gunna get a fecal done the first of the week.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
ksalvagno
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9671 Times on 7003 Posts
Likes Given: 2279

Are you sure it wasn't Ivomec that you gave? Safeguard is an oral dewormer.

What is her temp? When did she kid? Exactly what dewormer did you give and what was the dosage you gave?

I would at least be getting some B Complex into her. The B complex needs to be injectible. If she is just standing in a corner and letting the pee run down, she is in bad shape and needs more care immediately.

Which antibiotic did you use? What exactly have you given her so far?

Karen Salvagno

Home to 1 Nigerian Dwarf, 1 LaMancha, 2 LaMancha crosses along with 3 dogs, 3 cats and 1 understanding DH

clearwtrbeach Likes This 
Old 01-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
emilieanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalvagno View Post
Are you sure it wasn't Ivomec that you gave? Safeguard is an oral dewormer.

What is her temp? When did she kid? Exactly what dewormer did you give and what was the dosage you gave?

I would at least be getting some B Complex into her. The B complex needs to be injectible. If she is just standing in a corner and letting the pee run down, she is in bad shape and needs more care immediately.

Which antibiotic did you use? What exactly have you given her so far?
Lol well that's the thing, I keep her at another farm and he didn't tell me the brands.
All I know is we gave a im shot in her leg that was the antibiotic I believe, we gave safeguard dewormer and I think 3cc? We have some red stuff that was 3cc, some orange stuff that was 3cc, a shot that I don't know what it was that was just in her skin, and some clear stuff that I have NO idea what it was That was 2cc.
He is going to call the vet tomorrow and see if the vet wants us to give anything else.
She kidded 11-19-12 with twins. The little girl is gone and the little boy is still there and jumping around like crazy and is all good.
He said the dewormer was going to be a 5 day thing and that something else was going to be a 3-5 day thing.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
ptgoats45
Goat Girl

Liked 659 Times on 468 Posts

I would go back and get a temp on her. Any time a goat is sick a temperature is the first thing you should get as it can help you (and us) determine what route needs to be taken. If she has a low temp she needs to be warmed up and that can be a sign of hypocalcaemia, if she has a high temp she most likely has an infection and banamine and antibiotics are in order. The diarrhea could be from worms, but I had a doe who got a horrible uterine infection last year and she had really bad diarrhea due to that.

The snotty nose most likely points towards pneumonia in which case she needs to be given banamine to reduce the swelling/inflamation of the lungs and reduce her temp if she has a fever, she also needs to be started on a good strong antibiotic like Naxcel or Draxxin, both require a veterinarian prescription. If she is not eating, not doing any thing and has a kid on her you need to feel her udde and see if she has any milk, also feel the kids stomach to see if he/she is full or if he/she acts hungry. Often when a doe gets very sick, they quit producing milk until they are well again. If I remember right from one of your other posts you said you were in Florida right? If so, Safeguard is not the wormer you want to be using. It is the only wormer technically approved for goats, but it has been so overused that it is not effective any more. Cydectin works very well as does Ivermectin. A fecal would be the best way to determine which one to use and your vet can help you with the dosage.

If you don't have a lot of meds on hand, I would call a vet to come look at her. She sounds like she is very sick and needs attention ASAP. A vet would be able to give a better diagnosis and can give you the meds that you need to make her more comfortable and on the road to recovery.

http://prairietrailgoats.weebly.com
People Like This 
Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
emilieanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgoats45 View Post
I would go back and get a temp on her. Any time a goat is sick a temperature is the first thing you should get as it can help you (and us) determine what route needs to be taken. If she has a low temp she needs to be warmed up and that can be a sign of hypocalcaemia, if she has a high temp she most likely has an infection and banamine and antibiotics are in order. The diarrhea could be from worms, but I had a doe who got a horrible uterine infection last year and she had really bad diarrhea due to that.

The snotty nose most likely points towards pneumonia in which case she needs to be given banamine to reduce the swelling/inflamation of the lungs and reduce her temp if she has a fever, she also needs to be started on a good strong antibiotic like Naxcel or Draxxin, both require a veterinarian prescription. If she is not eating, not doing any thing and has a kid on her you need to feel her udde and see if she has any milk, also feel the kids stomach to see if he/she is full or if he/she acts hungry. Often when a doe gets very sick, they quit producing milk until they are well again. If I remember right from one of your other posts you said you were in Florida right? If so, Safeguard is not the wormer you want to be using. It is the only wormer technically approved for goats, but it has been so overused that it is not effective any more. Cydectin works very well as does Ivermectin. A fecal would be the best way to determine which one to use and your vet can help you with the dosage.

If you don't have a lot of meds on hand, I would call a vet to come look at her. She sounds like she is very sick and needs attention ASAP. A vet would be able to give a better diagnosis and can give you the meds that you need to make her more comfortable and on the road to recovery.
Yeah I'm in Florida, but she came from north Florida. Like almost Georgia. And idk we've never had problems with safeguard.
And the baby has a really full belly he's all good and set. She is producing milk and her udder is fine. (Small but it's always been small lol)
Is banamine clear?
Because he gave her all we have out there and that might be it?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
emilieanne

Oh, and she was perfectly fine yesterday. Acting Normal.
It just hit her like a train this morning.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
clearwtrbeach

Liked 940 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 997

Can you call him and find out what and how much he has given? If she's as sick as she sounds I don't think waiting until the first of the week is a good idea.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
emilieanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwtrbeach View Post
Can you call him and find out what and how much he has given? If she's as sick as she sounds I don't think waiting until the first of the week is a good idea.
He's out playing cards with friends.
We're calling the vet tomorrow, but getting a fecal done the first of the week.

Quick Reply