Goats of the Month - Peanut & Puddles

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Frenzy > Copper Bolus(How to with pictures on page 2)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
RunAround

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Copper Bolus(How to with pictures on page 2)

I have read about it but how many of you do it? A friend of mine is insisting that I do this to my goats, but I don't really see a reason to. They have free choice minerals so I figure if they needed it they would get it in the minerals. As far as I can tell none of them seem copper deficient. Can anyone give me more info on this? I find it confusing.

-Double Registered Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats
*Taking reservations on 2012 kids*

http://www.freewebs.com/phoenixrisingfarm/index.htm
Kidding Cam: http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=phoenixrising

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #2
enjoytheride

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Re: Copper Bolus

I did my first bolusing after dithering about it for a year. My vet sells a mineral mix for sheep and goats that does NOT have copper so I use that because it does make me nervous to add extra copper.
The lady who sold me Timber has bolused a couple of times and said it was dramatic in that she stopped having problems with hoof rot. I have problems with hoof rot and staph infections and decided that , despite what the vet said, to try bolusing- I was worried about Tim's drying up for this year- last year she got staph mastitis.
I read an article that says most of the copper rods are pooped out right away and drops in effectiveness within two months. In all that I have read about bolusing, no one has said they lost a goat to copper toxicity- many have said it helped.
so I tried but it hasn't been long enough for me to tell yet.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:43 AM   #3
capriola-nd

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Send a message via MSN to capriola-nd

Quote:
If she were mine (yes, the bald tail is probably copper deficiency- teh western states and esp west coast states are very deficient), I would take one Copasure tablet, and make five OO sized capsules with it - we sell the capsules in bags on 100. Since I would give one of my full sized dairy goats one about every 10 weeks, I would give your doe one about every 26 to 30 weeks- ie twice a year if she is full grown.- other words, 1/3 the size of a standard goat so 1/3 the dosage. That's where I'd start. If that keeps her coat color and tail end healthy then you should be good at that schedule. You can overdose on copper, so don't give more than that at that rate for now, unless you were to notice her tail thinning again and coat color going before you hit the 26 to 30 week range for the next one.

We used to give our standard sized does one full big bolus every year, but I'd rather give them less more regular so they have some in their system all the time. makes more sense then leaving them depleted for 1/2 the year.

The easiest way I've found to give it to them, is to put a bit of grain in a feed dish, put the OO resized bolus on top, then drop some molasses on it- then sprinkle more grain on top hiding the bolus but not hiding all the molasses :O). They usually snarf it all up .
Here's some info my aunt sent me. It came from a woman who works w/ a lot of natural remedies, sells them too. Here's her website: http://firmeadowherbs.tripod.com/ - You can order the copper boluses from her, she sells them in smaller quantities.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:40 AM   #4
alyssa_romine

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Send a message via Yahoo to alyssa_romine

I have a goat that has a copper deff. and I was wondering if there was any other way to get copper in her without the bolus?

Alyssa Harder
Breeder of Registered Myotonic(Fainting) Goats
http://www.br8kndawn.com/

Old 08-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
Di
Crazy Goat Lady

Liked 549 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 1071

Alyssa, here's an website that answers that question. http://www.u-sayranch.com/goats/coppersulfate.html I'm going to mix some up today, I think, or soon anyway. I'll let you know how things go. I have one black doe that has that copper looking black coat, and another that lost the hair from the tip of her tail. Wish me luck!

us on face book!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocky-Ridge-Farm/265587983495559?ref=hl

Old 08-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
alyssa_romine

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Good luck Di. My goat is black and tan and her black is wirey and curly on the end instead of slick. I have had free choice minerals out but I guess her kids took it all from her.

Alyssa Harder

Old 08-07-2008, 03:06 AM   #7
alyssa_romine

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just went and bought some Copper Sulfate from the local Co-op....I bought a 5lb tub for $20...should last a long time. I will let everyone know the result I get.

Alyssa Harder

Old 08-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
goathappy

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Send a message via AIM to goathappy Send a message via MSN to goathappy Send a message via Yahoo to goathappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by capriola-nd
Quote:

Here's some info my aunt sent me. It came from a woman who works w/ a lot of natural remedies, sells them too. Here's her website: http://firmeadowherbs.tripod.com/ - You can order the copper boluses from her, she sells them in smaller quantities.
I bought a buck from from Kat as well as a bunch of herb mixes that helped get my favorite doe back into condition. She is a very helpful person

We used to do the copper drenches that Di posted and I had great success with it using on my deficient goats to get them back on the road to being sufficient. What I like about the drenches is that it is hard to OD them with it, but it gives them just enough copper to get back to where they should be.

~Sarah~
Sandy Lane Dairy Goats
ADGA Registered LaManchas, Oberhasli and Saanens
My Blog | Flickr

Normal is just the average of odd

Old 08-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
capriola-nd

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Send a message via MSN to capriola-nd

One thing we bought (another breeder suggested it for my aunt's goats) is for horses, HorseGuard. It looks like a pink pelleted grain. Sometimes my goats love it and then other times they just pick at it. I don't remember it being awfully expensive but I'm sure it costs more than a drench or the boluses.

Yes, Kat is very, very nice and very helpful too. She has some beautiful goats too! I just love all her herbal "concoctions". Her probiotic powder is the best we've used w/ our goats - and so much cheaper than the other brands! Anyways, she's a very neat lady.

Handcrafted Goat's Milk Soap, Lotion, & Body B'Udder

Specializing in custom orders!
Find us on Facebook!

Old 08-08-2008, 02:08 AM   #10
alyssa_romine

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

goathappy, how long did it take for your goat to get back to a sufficient stage? I am doing the treatment posted on the website doing it twice a day, just wondering if a second treatment was needed.

Alyssa Harder

Quick Reply