Goats of the Month - Pumpkin Pie

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Frenzy > Does bullying stop when victim grows up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Texas.girl
Adopted by Goats

Liked 502 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 1126

Default Does bullying stop when victim grows up?

Sport was born near the end of June and around 10 weeksof age the vet confirmed some vision and neurological issues. He is a bit wobbly on his feet and neverjumps on or off stuff. We kept him awayfrom the older 3 goats until he was about 2 months old but from the verybeginning the other goats would show dominance through the fence towardshim. Once we had confirmation he isSpecial Needs, we had him (to steal someone else’s term) wetherized. Sportis the sweetest little boy and we just love him, but the other 3 goats continueto bully him. Things seem to have beengetting better so I have been allowing daytime visitations, but this morning Iwitnessed one of the worse bullying episodes to date. My queen was the only one who did notparticipate. My smelly buck and petitedairy doe together went after Sport for the attack. Poor Sport, trying to run away from them,wound up wedged between the fence and a sheet of metal roofing (held in placeby bales of straw). He was totallytrapped by the time I was able to get into the garden where all the goats werelocated. I had to lift him up to get himout and as soon as I put him on the ground my buck went for him. At least I think the buck was after Sport,but my leg got the impact of his horn. Needless to say, there will not be anymore daytime visitations forawhile. Sport is full blooded Boer so Iexpect that when he grows up he will be the biggest boy around. My buck is Spanish so I am assuming he willbe a bit smaller. I have a Boer doe (queen)and a Nubian/Alpine/possibly pigmy doe too. What I am wondering is when Sport grows up and is bigger than everyoneelse will the bullying diminish? Isthere any hope of them Sport living with my buck or does in the future? If the answer no or probably not, is thereany hope that Sport might be able to live with one of my twins (bucks who areabout 7 weeks old now). Sport and thetwins have spent many days together deweeding my vegetable garden and seem toget along. My entire herd is made up of abandonedbottle babies.

It’s all Lawn Mower’s fault. She showed up one day and then asked for some playmates. I now a herd of goats, two cats, a dog, and a flock of egg laying chickens, 2 roosters, and 12 baby chicks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Shellshocker66
Wrapped around a hoof!

Liked 151 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Texas, I don't know how to answer your question. But I do applaud you for taking in those abandoned bottle babies. I can't even imagine how spoiled your little herd is

~~ Shelley ~~
Shelshanam's Nigerian Dwarf's and one $5 ADGA registered Lamancha!
http://www.shelshanam.webs.com

Like my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/Shelshanam

Old 10-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
Texas.girl
Adopted by Goats

My sweet Sport survived the attack.

Before the attack Midnight, my smelly buck, was walking on the straw bales placed in the garden yesterday. Sport wound up wedged between that sheet of metal roofing and the fence. Walking past Midnight is Lawn Mower, my queen. She rarely goes after Sport anymore.

Attached Thumbnails
sport-4-months-old.jpg   midnight-straw.jpg  

It’s all Lawn Mower’s fault. She showed up one day and then asked for some playmates. I now a herd of goats, two cats, a dog, and a flock of egg laying chickens, 2 roosters, and 12 baby chicks.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
mnblonde

Liked 239 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 505

Poor little Sport:[ I hope they will get used to him! I have had that issue with does but they normally come around in time

home to a very handy B/F who is an west coast city boy, 7 La mancha girls, a token Alpine,2 Aussies and 12 laying hens
People Like This 
Old 10-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Trickyroo
Goat Addict
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6715 Times on 4040 Posts
Likes Given: 16074

Awww , poor baby !! Give little Sport a hug for me ?
I hope things settle down once he is grown.
I would like to see Sport once he is full grown turn around and say
to the others " you want soma dis" , lololol

Old 10-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
sweetgoats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1403 Times on 957 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Send a message via MSN to sweetgoats

That is so sad, and I am so sorry. I to commend you for taking him in and spoiling him rotten, that is great.

I hate to say it but I think that is something that might happen for ever. I say that because goats know if there is something wrong, that is why a mom will abanden a baby when she knows there is something wrong and they will not make it. Sometimes I think we need to listen to them but our heats just wont let us.

It might be best to find a dog to be his companion instead of another goat. His face just says "Hey love all over me Okay"?

Texas.girl Likes This 
Old 10-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
Texas.girl
Adopted by Goats

Hopefully a younger goat will become his friend if the older goats never accept him. Time will tell. In the mean time his home will have to remain in our vegetable garden until we can build a 2nd goat enclosure. We plan on having chickens one day, maybe Sport would welcome them as friends. Time will tell.

Trickyroo Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 03:31 AM   #8
Trickyroo
Goat Addict
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

I'll be your friend Sport

Hey , We can have sort of a "Team Sport" logo or something , lol.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #9
Texas.girl
Adopted by Goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetgoats View Post
I hate to say it but I think that is something that might happen for ever. I say that because goats know if there is something wrong, that is why a mom will abanden a baby when she knows there is something wrong and they will not make it. Sometimes I think we need to listen to them but our heats just wont let us.
I do believe (if the story I was told is accurate) that Sport's mom knew something was not right with him, but it is a tough call. I know the story of every one of my 6 adandoned babies except for my oldest, who just walked up to the house last year. But even her behavior from the very beginning screamed "I was bottle fed in the living room so why won't you let me in the house?" I have 5 very healthy goats. If ranchers just left abandoned babies in the field to die, a lot of perfectally healthy kids would be lost. And honestly, if the rancher who owns Sport's mom had not given him away, then sooner or later Sport would have brought in $$ at the auction house.

Trickyroo Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
Trickyroo
Goat Addict
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Im with you Texas.girl , I would try to save them all , thats just who I am. If I knew I couldnt save them , I would have them humanely put down and not left to suffer and die. We are human and thats what ( most ) humans do.
The ranchers that leave them to die are cruel. I understand they dont want sick stock , but at least put it out of its misery and dont let them suffer. JMHO.

I picked one of my girls because I thought she didnt look so good and she would be better off with me. I passed on some nice kids but I wanted her . Little did I know she was to be fine and she is a healthy little thing. Small , but not that small to think something is wrong with her . Her name is Dixie Girl

Quick Reply