Goats of the Month - Peanut & Puddles

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Frenzy > How much Hay or Pellets to feed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 06:16 AM   #1
trainhound

Default How much Hay or Pellets to feed?

Hi, I have 2 4 month old female nubians. How much hay should they get per day? If i go over to feeding alfalfa pellets how much should I feed?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Di
Crazy Goat Lady

Liked 549 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 1071

Default Re: How much Hay or Pellets to feed?

Well, first off WELCOME to TGS! I'm sure the folks here can give you very good advice! Another good website to start with is http://www.fiascofarm.com. I am a newbie too. This is my first year of kidding. So, I'll start till more experience comes on. Anyway, when I got my little ones I just filled the feeder and fed free choice hay. And of course fresh water. Goats appreciate warm water when its cold. I'm sure it depends upon whether or not they have any pasture? From what I've read, alfalfa pellets aren't good as a complete ration because they don't have the long fiber that hay provides...goats being ruminants. I feed my young goats just a handful of a 12% grain mix, just enough to make them easy to get a hold of. But, with full size dairy goats you might need more...someone will correct me here.

So, fyi, we require pictures. Tell us more about your little does! And yourself!

us on face book!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocky-Ridge-Farm/265587983495559?ref=hl

Old 04-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
Julie

Send a message via AIM to Julie

I also feed free choice hay. ALthough I suppose if you would need to ration it out - make sure you give them approx a "lap" or "flake" of hay for every one-two goats.

I have a variety of breeds - including some nubians. My nubian does get 2 cups of DUMOR Goat Feed (16% protein) per day. If nursing they get 4 cups per day. They also each get 1/4 cup of BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seed) on their feed. (and other stuff like some of my herbs, and also fastrack, but I won't get into that unless you want to know )

My Snubian BUCK (and also my other bucks) are only getting free choice hay right now. They're not getting any grain. They only get grain when they're breeding doe/s and/or in rut (in the fall).

Goats love browse (weeds, bark, jaggers, leaves, etc.) so if you have an area full of weeds and jaggers - they'd go to town on that ! Just be careful of poisenous plants !
They also love (and it's good for them) Pine needle branches.

You might already know and do all this ... but I just thought I'd "throw it in there"

Old 04-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
sweetgoats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1361 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Send a message via MSN to sweetgoats

Welcome to TGS. We are glad you are here . Congratulations on you babies. What I try to remember when we are giving hay and all. Goats eat 4-6 times a day and you need to make sure they have enough to eat that many times. I do understand that you have smaller goats, so of course they will not eat as much as a full grown goat.
OH, by the way. WE LOVE PICTURES.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
trainhound

Thanks for all the quick replies!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
StaceyRosado
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2736 Times on 1715 Posts
Likes Given: 571

welcome!!!

I feed 3-4 laps of hay twice a day for 7 goats (minis)

I don't feed free choice because when I did they wasted a whole bale in one day!

My goats are nice a healthy with this regument.

With your little ones i would say 1-2 laps a day would be perfect as they do need to eat quite a bit when younger and growing

End of The Line Farm
Facebook fan page

Quick Reply