Goat of the Month - Abigail Hope

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Frenzy > Oh the happy blood draw day!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
Shellshocker66
Wrapped around a hoof!

Liked 151 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Default Oh the happy blood draw day!

So the things I learned drawing blood from goats today!

First I had no fear of doing the blood work, I've worked in a Veterinary hospital when I was a teenager, and was a Paramedic for many years. I'm pretty use to self care on my animals.

So I have a helper, I have my new handy dandy self built goat stand, and I have a crew that I've held off breakfast to make them more compliant and happy to jump up for some food and get heads in the lock.

So first I decide to do the ones I think will be difficult.

1st on stand the not so little Mini Nubian. She jumps up, head goes in, shave neck, get needle all ready to go, clean with alcohol, and proceed to stick- I forgot to wear hearing protection as she screamed bloody murder right in my left ear! It scared me so bad I pulled out and had to start over-Plus I was hoping the ringing in my ear would stop so I could hear what my helper was saying. Finally got it second try.

2nd up. K-man the buck who is scared of needles. He cried, he whined, he shook like a baby (this was all before the needle came out). I felt so bad I almost didn't do it. Finally just did it and of course he threw a fit, knocked the blood draw thing out of my hand before I even got barely in by throwing his big head around and my helper couldn't stop him. Got him second try.

3- My smallest adult doe, not enough neck to give me a good stretch in the head lock. So we put her in the lap like a kid and held neck. She was actually great about the whole thing, just such small veins I had to move to other side and try again.

4 - Seems my first vacuum tube didn't have a good seal, I knew I was in just no blood would squirt into tube. Changed tubes and all went well.

5. Momma goat, my alpha queen bee... Thankfully she was the easy one. Nice big EJ and all went as it should of for the 4 above.

Anyway it's finally done, they all lived and I'm not too bruised and battered. Except I keep saying "huh" anytime someone says something to me!

~~ Shelley ~~
Shelshanam's Nigerian Dwarf's and one $5 ADGA registered Lamancha!
http://www.shelshanam.webs.com

Like my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/Shelshanam

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2000 Times on 1277 Posts
Likes Given: 5696

Send a message via Yahoo to liz
Default Re: Oh the happy blood draw day!

Great job and an accomplishment to be proud of!

I'm too chicken to attempt blood draws myself....well, actually I did attempt it once but my hubby decided that my goats shouldn't be "guinea" pigs and told me to call the vet

Hopefully the ringing in your ears stops soon

Old 07-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
cyanne

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My best tip for blood draws is to not use the darn two-sided blood draw needles and vacuum tubes. Too much hassle! I just use a regular syringe with a 1inch needle to draw out the blood I need and then squirt it into the vacuum tube Fresh needle/syringe for each goat, of course.

The first time I did it, I tried using the two-sided needles that came with the blood-draw kit...they were HUGE needles and it was very hard to get the needle into the vein and then get it into the vacuum tube without ruining the seal, etc. Finally gave up and tried a regular syringe and it was super easy!

Raising quality Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats in Central Texas, near Austin. We strive to produce healthy goats that will perform both in the show ring and in the milk pail. www.HarlequinGoats.com

Old 07-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Stacykins
Goats of da UP

Liked 525 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanne
My best tip for blood draws is to not use the darn two-sided blood draw needles and vacuum tubes. Too much hassle! I just use a regular syringe with a 1inch needle to draw out the blood I need and then squirt it into the vacuum tube Fresh needle/syringe for each goat, of course.

The first time I did it, I tried using the two-sided needles that came with the blood-draw kit...they were HUGE needles and it was very hard to get the needle into the vein and then get it into the vacuum tube without ruining the seal, etc. Finally gave up and tried a regular syringe and it was super easy!
This is what I did when I drew blood. I used a regular needle and a 6cc syringe, then injected the collected blood into the vacutainer. It means you don't have to fiddle with putting on the vacutainer after the stick. With one smooth motion, you have a syringe full of blood.

Important thing though, if you use a needle and regular syringe, is once you put on the needle, pull back the plunger of the syringe and break the seal inside! It will make life MUCH easier.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Shellshocker66
Wrapped around a hoof!

Liked 151 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanne

Agreed it was my first experience with vacu tubes. Done thousands of blood draws with regular needle and syringe. I didn't care for it at all! Probably should of switched to the method I knew best but just ran with it.

Next time I'm not messing with the blood draw needles and holder going into the tube, just going to use a smaller needle and 5 cc syringe and transfer it.

~~ Shelley ~~
Shelshanam's Nigerian Dwarf's and one $5 ADGA registered Lamancha!
http://www.shelshanam.webs.com

Like my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/Shelshanam

Quick Reply