Goat of the Month - Abigail Hope

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Frenzy > Pictures of new goat with foot rot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
dixiegirl3179
Done lost her mind...

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default Pictures of new goat with foot rot

Hey all,

I wanted to post some pictures of the new doe with the bad feet. I haven't come up with a name for her yet. She's due to kid anytime. I can't find any ligs, but her udder isn't tight yet. She's breathing fast, but I don't know if that's because it's hot out or not (it's 80+ degrees out there). The farrier is coming out tomorrow to help me with her feet. She said she'd bring medicine for the foot rot. I think she may be a boar cross and not nubian, basically just because of her her color..tell me what ya'll think.

Just a pic of her laying down..she's been laying down all day and pretty much the whole time I've had her here. Probably because of her feet.

I got her to stand, but she was only on her feet for a second before she was back on her knees like this. Seems to be her second preferred position besides laying, she mostly crawls when she does move around the stall.

This is the best I could do for an udder pic. The area around her tail head is soft and I can wrap my fingers around. No real discharge yet, there was a little bit of white discharge the day I got her (Saturday).

Here's a pic of one of her front hooves...I don't know how much work it will take to get them back to where they should be. The people I bought her from had already trimmed some away.

Amanda
Parker's Acre Nigerian Dwarf Goats
ADGA Nigerian Dwarf goats in North Florida
www.parkersacre.com
www.facebook.com/parkersacrenigeriandwarfgoats

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2002 Times on 1278 Posts
Likes Given: 5696

Send a message via Yahoo to liz
Default Re: Pictures of new goat with foot rot

It will definately take some work, it appears that she has some very overgrown heels, I hope she heals enough to be able to walk normally again.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
peggy

Liked 264 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Poor thing. I hope she heals soon.

Registered and grade alpines.
http://magichoofprints.weebly.com

Realistic pet portraits.
http://petportraitsbypeggy.weebly.com/

Old 02-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
Coyote Night Acres

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah her heels are very bad. Essentially she's rocked back on the bulbs of her feet because the heels are under run, I'll bet it hurts her to stand because of this. I'de try to nip the heels off some, when I first got into goats I thought I shouldn't cut the heels cause it was soft like and to just trim the hard part of the hoof. Pretty soon my goats heels kept growing and growing and it didn't look right, so I started trimming the heel part down to the level of the sole, not enough to draw blood or anything and stop if you start seeing pink. Anyway the reason I'm telling you about my new goat owner errors is because it's likely that they were under the same impression and didn't trim the heels when they trimmed her feet.

Rare Waterfowl and Poultry
AKC French Bulldogs

Old 02-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
dixiegirl3179
Done lost her mind...

I agree Coyote..I don't know what to cut and what not to cut. That's why I have the farrier coming out tomorrow to show me. Hopefully it's simple because the others need to be trimmed and I can't afford to pay the farrier to do all of them. I've attempted it myself before but I was so afraid I was going to cut too much off and make them bleed. It will be very helpful to see how much can safely come off.

Amanda
www.parkersacre.com

Old 02-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
HoosierShadow

Liked 1911 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Awwww poor sweetie, she looks so miserable because of those feet. she does look like a boer/nubian to me - reminds me of my girl who is a dark red.
I am not an expert on trimming hooves, but I do all of our goats. I learned the hard way, because when we first got goats last year I also brought home a doe with hoof rot. She had it SEVERELY in one of her feet. OMG it was horrible. By the time I cut away all the dead stuff, I had cut away half of the heel/inside of the foot. We never thought she'd walk normal again.

About 2 months later you never would have thought she was the same goat. Walked perfectly, gained soooooo much weight people thought she was preggo LOL

BTW, it looks like someone has tried treating her foot with thrush buster - the purple stuff.

Definitely pay attention to the farrier and learn how to trim and clean out her foot so you can stay on top of it yourself

Good Luck, and she's really a pretty doe, I hope she gets to feeling better real soon, especially since she'll be a mama soon!

Old 03-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #7
comingsummers

Poor baby! I hope that you get her fixed up soon. You should keep us updated with pictures so we can watch her progress. Good luck!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why it's called present.

Raising registered Sable goats in Northern New Mexico. Please visit our website!
http://comingsummers.webs.com/

Old 03-01-2011, 12:55 AM   #8
dixiegirl3179
Done lost her mind...

Thanks all!

Yes the people I bought her from did put thrush buster on her feet. I'll take some after pictures when the farrier is done with her tomorrow. She's been acting restless today like she was maybe getting ready to kid, but still nothing hours later. I keep checking on her, but she hasn't really progressed. She may just be acting restless because she's in pain. I don't know. The does have some stringy discharge..more tonight than earlier. Plus she's licking me and breathing fast. I was hoping for a baby tonight after midnight so they'd be born on my birthday, but I don't know. Maybe tomorrow night. I'll keep checking..the night is still young lol.

Amanda
www.parkersacre.com

Old 03-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #9
HoosierShadow

Liked 1911 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Hopefully she'll wait until after the farrier does her feet, so maybe she'll be a little more comfortable when it's time to get the kid out. I think my concern would be her ability to stand for the kid to nurse if she's in that much pain.
I'd think after she kids and passes the placenta if you can give her a shot of banamine that might help with the birthing pain as well as the hoof rot pain.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
dixiegirl3179
Done lost her mind...

Well no birthday babies for me. She's showing zero signs of labor. I guess it was wishful thinking on my part lol. The farrier came and did her feet and now she's actually walking on them. She's still limping, but at least she's up off her knees. The farrier also put some medicine on for the foot rot. Said it should clear it up. I'm glad that was taken care of before the baby is born so she's not dealing with a newborn and not being able to stand.

Amanda
www.parkersacre.com

Quick Reply