Goats of the Month - Peanut & Puddles

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Frenzy > Selling the fam fav. and buying Reg. What about this kid?



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Breezy-Trail
Senior Member
 
Breezy-Trail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sprakers, New York
Posts: 1,784
Liked 32 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default Selling the fam fav. and buying Reg. What about this kid?

Anyone remember pics of my doe Molly? I will try to post some later.
She is an unregistered lamancha doe.
Everyone loves her but she isn't my favorite goat anymore.
She has been throwing fit on the stand and doesnt lead good...has a mind of her own. but she has lots of personality.
We got her for $50...so what do you expect.
Thing is I bought her from a friend's sister almost 2 hrs away.
I would hate her to hear that we "dumped her".
She isn't super fancy. Rear, side, and fromt atatchments are not so good.
Always is super skinny (cant keep weight on her) and she is my second smallest goat. Also has some sort of an abcess or tumor on her cheek (in another form) and I can't take her to the vet right now and she doesn't act sick. Of course if I sold her I would have to explain all this to the buyer.
She is 4 ish years old and kidded twice with single bucklings.
She only produces 3 qts a day and at times it goes down to 2 qts and rarely up to 1 gallon. It is high fat milk though and tastes good.

I just don't think I can buy another goat and keep all of what I have.
I am already buying 2 alpine does this year but plan to sell one (spirit-my stunted "yearling"). I would have 6 alpines and after I sell spirit it will be 5 (one is a young kid though and only 2 are in milk). Then of course I have molly, who is in milk. So a grand total of 7 until I sell spirit. Another lamancha kid would be 8 and then down to either 6 or 7.

I just don't know. Should I enjoy the high fat milk for now and sell her bred?
Or sell her in milk? Or sell her in milk next year?

Just want to improve my herd and she is maybe my worst goat.

The lamancha doe kid I am wanting to get is Merrie-Meade STT High Society.
She was born 4/21 I think. http://www.merriemeadefarm.com/suzie.htm
They want $350 for her and will allow me to put a deposit on her and get her later. She is A LOT better than molly.

Any thoughts on what would be the wisest move for my herd?
If I sold her now we might miss her milk...so maybe best to sell her bred to the Am alpine buck that I am renting? I will have at least 4 in milk next year, with molly 5, and with this doeling (maybe too young to breed) it would be 6.
Or maybe keep molly and get this other doe as an addition and not a replacement? I just don't know what to do but would like to have a more showable/correct doe in my herd.

What do you think of this kid?



Attached Thumbnails
kids42112090w-1-.jpg  
__________________

~Jesse
Breezy Trail Dairy Goats
www.breezytrail.weebly.com
http://www.facebook.com/Breezytraildairygoats
^^Like us on Facebook!! ^^
Raising Registered American Alpines and PB LaManchas.

.Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.






Breezy-Trail is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
dobe627
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: southeast PA
Posts: 1,062
Liked 119 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Default Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

The most worrisome thing here is you saying she has an abcess on her cheek. Have you thought CL? You may want to post pictures of it. Since you said a vet is out right now. Should it be cl it is contagious, so you should try to get an answer.



__________________

Proud keeper of many animals.
http://www.hakeshiddenhollow.com

dobe627 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Utterly Blessed Farm
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 315
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

Jessie,

Has Molly been tested for Johne's and CL? Her symptoms could be due to one of these. I completely understand you selling her but you don't want to pass anything (disease like) on to someone else. You could sell her, provided she is healthy, as a pet quality doe and a milker. Probably for two or three times what you paid for her. If you are serious about only having registered stock then the original owner will understand that. It does not mean you are "dumping her".


The little doe in the photo looks very nice.

__________________

Chris
Utterly Blessed Farm
http://utterlyblessedfarm.com/

Utterly Blessed Farm is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
lissablack
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,072
Liked 38 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

I would be worried about the abscess too. Regardless of what you do with her. A negative blood test for CL does not mean the abscess is not CL, The only really definitive test is a culture of the contents of the abscess.

__________________

Jan
Serena Kinders in New Mexico
http://www.serenakinders.com

lissablack is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Breezy-Trail
Senior Member
 
Breezy-Trail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sprakers, New York
Posts: 1,784
Liked 32 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

I posted pics in the other thread but will try to post here. I didnt mean that I had a vet out...just I cant afford to get her tested or have a vet out. She acts healthy, active, and normal. She just likes to slam her hoof in the milk at times..which is annoying. Good point though. I should wait and get her tested first. Wouldnt want to cause problems for someone else...but wonder if I should separate her. I dont have a place to separate her right now.

__________________

~Jesse
Breezy Trail Dairy Goats
www.breezytrail.weebly.com
http://www.facebook.com/Breezytraildairygoats
^^Like us on Facebook!! ^^
Raising Registered American Alpines and PB LaManchas.

.Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.






Breezy-Trail is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Breezy-Trail
Senior Member
 
Breezy-Trail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sprakers, New York
Posts: 1,784
Liked 32 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

she has never been tested. Never any lameness. She is skinny but doesnt have ribs showing too bad. she would probably fatten up better if I gave her more grain but she already gets 2lbs. Here is a pic of the abcess. I thought a cl abcess was on the outside? seems like this in the middle of the skin layers or on the inside. It feels really hard and doesnt feel fluid filled.
I will try to make her an appointment for the vet when I can. might be 3-4 weeks out.

Could it be from infection? maybe she got poked in the cheek by a rusty nail or something and it abcessed?

Attached Thumbnails
photo1362.jpg  
__________________

~Jesse
Breezy Trail Dairy Goats
www.breezytrail.weebly.com
http://www.facebook.com/Breezytraildairygoats
^^Like us on Facebook!! ^^
Raising Registered American Alpines and PB LaManchas.

.Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.






Breezy-Trail is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png
 
liz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shelocta PA
Posts: 23,136
Liked 2002 Times on 1278 Posts
Likes Given: 5696

Send a message via Yahoo to liz
Default Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

That looks to be from a sticker or a tooth abcess, too far forward on her face to be thought of as Cl

If you have any explaining to do to the seller... she just didn't work out for you. Simple and if you have to go into detail, just say that your personalities clashed and it was best to let her go before resentment set in.

__________________
2014 breeding schedule available! http://www.dollysacre.com/breedingplans.htm
Quality Registered Nigerian Dwarfs & Natural Goats Milk Soaps
http://www.dollysacre.com
liz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Utterly Blessed Farm
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 315
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

Jessie,

We recently had a doe with a similar hard cyst like bump on her cheek. We took her to the vet and it turned out to be an abscess (not CL) most likely from being jabbed by a tree branch or biting her cheek.

Lissa is right ~ the most definitive test for CL is to culture the pus in the abcess. CL is very contageous so watch for the lump abcessing and breaking open. The pus is contageous.

Liz is right about personality conflicts. It is not unreasonable to sell a goat because your personalities clash. We have all been there. I had a doe last year that I did not get along with and she was so frustrating that I didn't like to be around her. She now lives with a family who absolutely loves everything about her.

__________________

Chris
Utterly Blessed Farm
http://utterlyblessedfarm.com/

Utterly Blessed Farm is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
Tenacross
TGS_SUPPORTER.png
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Enumclaw, Wa.
Posts: 2,777
Liked 1414 Times on 848 Posts
Likes Given: 1069

Default Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

I'm pretty sure most good goat breeders let go of some of their
herd as they improve it. It's a good thing. Don't let baggage like
what your sister's friend might think weigh you down. It's your goat
now to do as you please. If you have given her good care while you
have owned her, (like I know you have), you should have no guilt.
If it were me, I'd sell her sooner rather than later. You might get
more for her bred or something, but it probably doesn't pencil out
with the extra inputs (money) and time involved. Those inputs
could be better put to use on your better goats.

__________________
http://trharder.wix.com/harder-goats
Tenacross is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
nubians2
 
nubians2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mountain Home, Idaho
Posts: 1,387
Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

Default Re: I need some advice about selling the fam fav and buying

I personally would sell her in milk. Many people want an immediate solution and don't want to fool with kidding, or atleast not yet. I see alot of Nubian for sale but they are bred to a Boer. I look right past it. I know I can sell the kid but I don't want to sell my goats for meat. So anyways...I was ranting. I say test the abcess and sell her in milk. You can get more money for her knowing that she had been tested and in milk you should be able to get alot more than you paid even unregistered.



__________________

Simply Rustic Farm, purebred nubians
http://www.SimplyRusticFarm.com

nubians2 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying another goat? meluvgoats Goats For Sale 9 05-06-2012 05:14 PM
Selling goats, buying goats? keren Goat Frenzy 8 07-13-2009 08:48 AM
Buying a buck lesserweevil Goat Frenzy 16 01-12-2009 12:31 PM
buying and selling countryboy Goat Frenzy 7 01-03-2009 05:18 AM
About that Toggy kid I was maybe buying keren Goat Frenzy 2 11-18-2008 03:08 AM