You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Goat Spot    

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Frenzy >

As soon as I decided to keep him

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #41
catharina
Catharina

Liked 942 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 9675

If they shoot the pigs, why don't they shoot the goats too? How can you think that being cut with a knife doesn't hurt? That makes no sense to me. Also, why break their neck after cutting them instead of before?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #42
Steampunked

Liked 133 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy d View Post
If done properly with very sharp knife from one side to the other quickly in a fraction of a second, severing windpipe & esophagus it is very humane.
I must confirm this - I have used similar methods to dispatch chickens - and despite what people think, chickens CAN feel pain and panic. It's in the technique - I have also seen incorrect stunning methods that lead to a large animal in horrific pain, unable to move, but panicking. Lastly, I've also experienced having no idea if an animal is dead - realising that it is later, but mistaking nerve twitches for life.

I have multiple Muslim coworkers, some of whom are vegetarian entirely (all vegetarian food is Halal, of course). Others who couldn't imagine an animal suffering for them - some of whom are dog lovers. Like anyone else, there is a wide range of people. I've met plenty of hunters here who show a distressing lack of empathy when dispatching an animal, leaving injured ones to die in pain 'because ducks cannot feel pain' or 'fish cannot feel pain'.

I've been cut right through tendons myself, personally, with a razor sharp knife - I did not feel it. I only started feeling 'sick' as my body went into shock about ten minutes later. So it seems to me that it is a technique issue, as well as having the correct tools to do so. Much like any other method, there will be unethical people who 'shortcut' because they do not care, or to save money. Correct Halal practice is to avoid suffering, but then correct abattoir practice is to avoid suffering, and we know how that can come out when money becomes an issue.

jschies Likes This 
Old 06-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #43
Jessica84

Liked 5505 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Ok so basically like any other way if done right it is a humane way. I was just curious, not that I'm ever planning on killing anything that way. Sorry Nancy I took your post totally off track :/

Old 06-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #44
wifeof1
TGS_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 90 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by catharina View Post
If they shoot the pigs, why don't they shoot the goats too? How can you think that being cut with a knife doesn't hurt? That makes no sense to me. Also, why break their neck after cutting them instead of before?
I think the pigs are shot first so you can get to the task of cutting the throat to bleed the animal out. Goats are easier to handle. So it isnt a necessary step. As far as breaking the neck first. There is too much resistance with the flesh and such.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #45
Paravani

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Default Headless Chicken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by New-goat-mom View Post
Jessica84, I, personally, think just the throat cut would be a terrible way to go. A few years ago I decided I was going to raise meat chickens. Came time to butcher and I decided on the cone and throat slit. I tried to do it for days and just couldn't. Even had him in the cone and took him back out several times. I finally used a broomstick and broke his neck THEN cut his throat. It was instant. I just couldn't have an alert, aware, animal bleeding to death. I still only managed the one. ..killing is apparently not something I can handle very well, but if I ever tried again I know I would be breaking the neck or sine other instant death no matter what the animal.

My mom was once dared to kill a chicken. It seems that one of the boys at school was supposed to kill a chicken for dinner, and somehow my mom got roped into proving her mettle by doing the deed for him. She had never killed a chicken before, but insisted that she could do it.

The chicken was spun around and around to make it dizzy. Then it was laid on the chopping block, and my mother swung the axe. The chicken's head fell off, the chicken's body kept walking around, and my mother fainted.

That was the last chicken my mother ever killed.

-- Paravani

Old 06-21-2017, 09:35 PM   #46
nancy d
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6293 Times on 4103 Posts
Likes Given: 5324

Well back to "Sig", his new name; since he has gotten too big to band he has vet apt next week to get it done. It might cost more than he's worth but on the other hand I'm hoping there won't be any oops babies. Besides, the other wether is getting up in years & he will be a great pet.
Paravani Likes This 
Old 06-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #47
nancy d
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6293 Times on 4103 Posts
Likes Given: 5324

But back to slaughtering methods you all probably didn't grow up during the late 60's & get to spend afternoons with your friends watching them electrocute hogs.
Or request cow eyeballs to bring home in cellophane.
Paravani Likes This 
Old 06-21-2017, 10:53 PM   #48
wifeof1

Liked 90 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Gosh. I missed that?? All we got to see were the Dairy Cows giving birth. Now that Dairy Farm is a huge shopping center.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:35 AM   #49
Jessica84

Liked 5505 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Oh your gonna have to explain the eyeballs lol I'm a 80s baby so nope I have no idea what this is you speak of lol it does remind me though of my daughters first time butchering which was a deer and all she wanted was the heart. We gave her the heart and yeah she wasn't very impressed at the time lol although we did butcher a steer last week and I have another picture of her and the heart and there's a smile this time not a OMG look lol

Old 06-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #50
Goats Rock

Liked 2261 Times on 1439 Posts
Likes Given: 1283

Nancy d, I almost got thrown out of 3rd grade because I brought eyeballs to school for show and tell. The boys thought they were cool, the girls "ewww, gross!" I thought they were pretty neat, myself. (1969 was the year). Thanks for reminding me!

People Like This 

Quick Reply