Goat of the Month - Mollie

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Frenzy > What nubian lines do you like?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
Stacie1205

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts

Default What nubian lines do you like?

As I have mentioned a few other places, I am adding to my herd this year with a few nubians(currently have mainly ND). I currently do not show but who knows in the future when my human kids get a little bigger. Anyway, what names do you look for when you are wanting to add good milking lines to your herd? I have found a doe I like with Jacob's Pride and 6M galaxy in her lines. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Natural Beauty Farm

Default Re: What nubian lines do you like?

Nubians come in many different bloodlines. Some do not mix well with others. You should figure out what you want and what you like and then search out those bloodlines.

Jacobs Pride is built upon Six M, so they are a good match. Need to do research on each member of the pedigree though and check out the milk volume of the doe you are interested in..... some are more showy and don't have the milk volume of Six M. Alot from the other side of the family tree could hold questions, if they aren't both Six M or Jacobs Pride.

Also remember to have any nubian you are interested in checked for G6S before purchase.

Home of Two 2010 Top Ten Nubian Does.
Reserve your next milker today.
www.flyingfarmnubians.com

Old 03-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Goat Song
Senior Member who ain't so Senior

Liked 38 Times on 22 Posts

Jacob's Pride is a really nice line; 6M Galaxy not so much... Other lines I like are: Grande Ronde, Kastdemur's, Saada, Remuda, My Enchanted Acres, Royal Cedars, Lakeshore, Blissberry, Hoanbu, Copperhill, and Alize. All of the afore mentioned breeders have websites, except for CopperHill. But these are top of the line breeders that will put milk in the pail, and be competitive in the ring.

I am only one,
But I am one.
I cannot do everything,
But I can do something.
What I can do,
I ought to do.
And what I ought to do,
By the grace of God, I will do!

Old 03-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
jaycee

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hi again Stacie, I think I know the doeling that you are referring to. If its the little day old doe on stl craigslist from Troy, MO, then I know the girl who is selling her and I highly recommend her. Her name is Rachel and shes very young but she takes great care of her goats and is very professional. Last year I bought my herdsire, Fonzie, from her and I have been very pleased with him. He wont be a year old until May but he bred all my girls and we should get the first kids from him later this month. I'm fairly certain that the doeling and buckling she has for sale now are from the same dam because I recognize all those names in the lines you listed. The dam is a great milking doe from what I saw. In fact I would be calling her up to beat you to her, except that I probably dont want to add a full sibling to my herdsire to the herd as Im not ready for another buck anytime soon.

Heres a pic of Fonzie that is not too good and a couple months old but will give you an idea if you want to see a coming yearling buck from those lines...

Old 03-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
Natural Beauty Farm

If she is selling a one day old bottle baby, I would make sure it gets enough colostrum.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
Devin

Liked 155 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 40

My nubians are built on Pruitville and Price O the field. I really like those! Those 2 herds are related as well.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
ptgoats45
Goat Girl

Liked 657 Times on 467 Posts

Mine have Hill's Acres, Kastdemur's, Easy-Stream, Lakeshore, Goldthwaite and some others. All very nice lines. Jacob's Pride is very competitive in showing and typically has a Champion, Reserve Champion or class winners at Nationals.

http://prairietrailgoats.weebly.com

Old 03-11-2012, 04:05 AM   #8
DDFN

Liked 527 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Well I have always been more old school on the bloodlines but we have added some new stock to our farm just lately. I have always had good results with the Hagler, Infinity, Foxwood and Piccolo Joes lines, but we added some Saada, B.E.S.T., Spots of Sandale (our Piccolo Joes actually has Spots of Sandales for a great, great grandsire), Spring's-Meadow and Price O The Field.

I have two does that share a Foxwood buck that have been our two best does. I know there are better milking lines out there but our Piccolo Joes produces around 2 gallons a day.

Day Dream Farms
ADGA Registered Purebred Nubian Goats
http://daydreamfarms.weebly.com/
http://daydreamfarms.blogspot.com/

Old 03-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
Natural Beauty Farm

The CL doeling is a double POF, line bred. I'm sure Tim would tell you more about the contributors if you asked.

Six M and Jacob are so far back that I would not even consider them as contributors. In fact they do not register on ADGA planning chart.

If you like the doeling, and the udder of the Dam, I say go for it.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
Stacie1205

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts

She is going to keep them until weaned I think I'm going to go for it. I am new to nubians so just trying to find good stock to start with. Where would I go to research the different lines? Is there a pllace to do that?

Quick Reply