You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Goat Spot    

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Welcome > TGS Announcements & Help >

Buck that can not eat his hay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 09:52 PM   #21
lottsagoats1

Liked 1793 Times on 1224 Posts
Likes Given: 734

Is the vet trained in goats? Dentistry? Did he use a gag and light to get a good look in the goats mouth?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #22
catharina
Catharina

Liked 941 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 9671

The only thing this makes me think of is, this sounds like what horses eventually get if they eat a lot of star thistle. At least according to one horse owner who told me that it slowly paralyses their mouth muscles & they can't eat. Did the vet think he had pain in his mouth, or was unable or unwilling to eat or some other reason? Poor fella.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #23
D-R-Barclay

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

He did yous a light and looked at his teeth.I have him in a pen and today i will try and give him a few pices of hay at a time and see if he can get that down.when i let him eat by himself he grabs all he can and it just hangs out booth sides and ends up in a big clump.Will send a pic after i try to give him little bits first.Would love to save him but it is not looking too good.This is a pic of him
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bucks for sale December 2016 018.jpg (78.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Goats for Sale 2016 Nov 006.jpg (96.4 KB, 12 views)

Old 06-10-2017, 11:55 PM   #24
catharina
Catharina

Liked 941 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 9671

He's very handsome! Can he eat grain or pellets? They sell hay in pellet form. If he can't even eat that, then put some of the alfalfa hay pellets in the blender with water so you can squirt it in his mouth with a turkey baster. Did the vet see him try to eat? Can he swallow OK? Maybe it's not the chewing but the swallowing that's the problem. I guess the vet thinks he has pain--where though?

Last edited by catharina; 06-11-2017 at 12:08 AM.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #25
Goats Rock
TGS_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2261 Times on 1439 Posts
Likes Given: 1283

I had a young (8 mo. old) Toggenburg doe that suddenly started choking on hay, she would eat a bunch then start gagging. I pulled a huge chunk out, all mucusy and unchewed. She was literally choking to death.
Like you, no teeth problems, throat was clear. I ended up feeding her soaked alfalfa pellets, cutting hay into little pieces and gave Vit. B complex, Banamine for 5 days, waited a few days then Dexamethsone for a few days. Warm water, etc.
It took 2 weeks, but suddenly she could eat again. No idea what happened, vet was puzzled and wanted me to put her down. I did the old "throw everything at her" as she was going to die. Something worked.

Good luck with your guy!

Quick Reply