Goats of the Month - Peanut & Puddles

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Breeding Pen > Kidding Koral > Extreme cold weather

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 02:41 AM   #31
sassy

Liked 129 Times on 78 Posts

Oh that's good. I'm glad they are doing ok. This weather isn't supposed to break for a couple of days ;(

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 02:45 AM   #32
MsScamp

Liked 2718 Times on 1808 Posts
Likes Given: 939

Send a message via Skype™ to MsScamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierShadow View Post
We're having a new roll bale delivered tomorrow, we put it in a cattle panel shelter, so at least during the day they will have full access to it. But the girls who aren't in kidding stalls/with kids stay outside in those temps. They can get on the west side of the shelter and be out of the wind, etc. but I will most likely lock them in the sleeping area instead. We have had the sleeping area closed off because the doorway allows too much draft into the barn <only thing that seperates kidding stalls from the sleeping area is pallet walls and OSB that goes about 1/2 way up>.
Candice, how many goats are we talking here? If around 10 or so, what about putting up a hoop house that butts up against the west side of your shelter? It's cheap, easy and, if you allow the tarp to fall about 1/2 way down the front of it, it will go a long ways towards trapping heat and keeping snow and rain out.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:07 AM   #33
jennnaragsdale

Liked 106 Times on 71 Posts

imageuploadedbygoat-forum1388808446.299802.jpg
Old 01-04-2014, 03:28 AM   #34
NyGoatMom
Nuts about my goats!

Liked 3070 Times on 2162 Posts
Likes Given: 6928

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

~Stephanie

Old 01-04-2014, 03:35 AM   #35
BillieJoeHoofstrong

Liked 150 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Mine aren't kids they are all 1 year and one 2 year but our barn is really old and gets really cold. They have free choice hay and a decent amount of shavings. I have no access to straw right now and it is supposed to be - 40 windchill at some points Monday and Tuesday. They also all have dog coats and safety heat lamps (which don't seem to warm very much) and I know it is a lot but they still get pretty cold is there anything else that I can do?

Old 01-04-2014, 03:59 AM   #36
jennnaragsdale

Liked 106 Times on 71 Posts

But they won't be in the wind

Old 01-04-2014, 04:09 AM   #37
MsScamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieJoeHoofstrong View Post
Mine aren't kids they are all 1 year and one 2 year but our barn is really old and gets really cold. They have free choice hay and a decent amount of shavings. I have no access to straw right now and it is supposed to be - 40 windchill at some points Monday and Tuesday. They also all have dog coats and safety heat lamps (which don't seem to warm very much) and I know it is a lot but they still get pretty cold is there anything else that I can do?
Can you add another couple of bags of shavings? Is there any old hay to be had around you? Are your goats all penned together? If your goats are all penned together, they will snuggle up together and keep each other warm. Give them some extra hay - maybe 1/3 over what you usually feed. The coats will also help. A little here, and a little help there, and a little help somewhere else adds up and they should be ok. Unfortunately, when it gets down to -40 wind chill, a heat lamp can only do so much.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:15 AM   #38
MsScamp

OMG, Jenna, that is too funny but it is also my worst nightmare! So far I've been lucky and we haven't been hit with any blizzards or even bad snow storms. I know that day is coming, though, and I dread it.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:30 AM   #39
Darlaj

Liked 307 Times on 215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatCrazy View Post
Candice, how many goats are we talking here? If around 10 or so, what about putting up a hoop house that butts up against the west side of your shelter? It's cheap, easy and, if you allow the tarp to fall about 1/2 way down the front of it, it will go a long ways towards trapping heat and keeping snow and rain out.

Hoop house?

Old 01-04-2014, 04:39 AM   #40
HoosierShadow

Liked 1917 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 76

LOL!!!! That picture is hilarious!!!! poor goats!

We definitely aren't used to cold temps like this. They said the storm that's coming is the coldest air we've had in around 20 years! Yikes!

We have 8 does and 4 babies right now. 3 does are in stalls in the barn, 1 with the quads that were born yesterday morning, and 2 more that can kid any time now. The others have been sleeping in the hay shelter in the pic below. I put tarps around the sides on the left, and on the ends, but have just enough space for them to get in/out. They can get over next to that wall and sleep without draft. We put a roll bale on a pallet in the middle and wrap a cattle panel around it, so they like sleeping up against the roll bale, well what's left of it lol

We are used to cold being highs in the 30s/lows 20s, but the occasional 20s and 10s.

Everything except Mon/Tues is 'normal' for us

Quick Reply