Goat of the Month - Heidi

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Fuzzy Fibers > Angora goat does fiber cover cost for feed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
kannm

Default Angora goat does fiber cover cost for feed?

I would love to get an angora goat or two. I would happily brush her out and take care of her. My question is that if I got a couple colored angora goats, would it be possible to cover the cost of their feed by selling their fiber?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Thanatos

Liked 25 Times on 8 Posts

Default Re: Angora goat does fiber cover cost for feed?

I have no idea, but my wife did a bit of looking cause she to wondered and it seems as tho the money is more in product, like yarn, thread or actual products(hats etc.) unless you have a spinner around.

Mabey someday I will have these critters all figured out. Then I can write an instruction manual.

Jason (aka. Thanatos)

Old 03-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
Di
Crazy Goat Lady

Liked 545 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 1071

Are there any "fiber artists" or a "spinning guild" etc., in your area? We just had a little discussion about this...Lori gets $13.00/ounce (I think that's what she said)...that's cashmere, though, once it's cleaned and dehaired. Don't know how mohair compares to cashmere...maybe Keren can help.

us on face book!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocky-Ridge-Farm/265587983495559?ref=hl

Old 03-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
sweetgoats

Liked 1096 Times on 766 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Send a message via MSN to sweetgoats

I really do not think so only because they do produce a LOT of mohair and they are sheered twice a year. I believe you would have to have quite a few goats to really make any head way. Now that does not mean that you can not make any money or much, it all depends on the market where you are. Here in Colorado I would not be able to sell all my fiber every year but I was matched up with a Alpaca breeder that just so happened wanted to blend in some cashmere. So the place I have my fiber cleaned told them about me and now I sell all my fiber to her every year.

The nice thing with Mohair is you can wash it yourself and clean it, in your washing machine, where cashmere I have to have it sent out.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:18 AM   #5
kannm

Sounds like a nice addition, then. I was thinking about getting a doe. What colors are the most popular?

Old 03-24-2009, 03:08 AM   #6
sweetgoats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannm
Sounds like a nice addition, then. I was thinking about getting a doe. What colors are the most popular?
Cashmere or Angora? Just so you know you really can not BRUSH out a Angora goat because their locks are curly, and the Cashmere you can brush them until their Cashmere starts to grow, then you just have to be careful not to brush the fiber straight and out.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:10 AM   #7
kannm

Arg. I think I have things confused. So, if I got an angora goat, I would get mohair and it would require me to shear the goat?

Old 03-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
Di
Crazy Goat Lady

Liked 545 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 1071

That's right. Angora goats grow mohair...it must be sheared (this is called the fleece, it must be "skirted" to cut out the dirty, crappy stuff). Cashmere goats grow cashmere...it must be combed (not a huge amount, 8 ounces or so, you have to have it dehaired). Pygora goats grow, well, some of both, some goats you comb, others you shear, depending on their coat type.

I had Pygora goats, but decided I preferred the combing to shearing. I have Cashmere goats, but Lori has a bigger herd. So, she has more "product" then I do. Keren has Angoras', she's the one to talk about them. I like the Cashmere goats because they are tough and eat weeds that others don't. My Pygoras got alot of "crap", weed heads, seeds, etc., in their fleece, I think the Cashmere goats stay cleaner.

If you go on YouTube, they have videos of folks working with wool, picking, carding, spinning. Pretty interesting. Good luck!

us on face book!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocky-Ridge-Farm/265587983495559?ref=hl

Old 03-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
sweetgoats

Di said it all. Angora goats have to be sheered twice a year also, the cashmere are combed once.

Another one to talk to is Powderhooves, Becky, she has some very beautiful Angora goats. She just had Mohair all over her house from washing ans skirting it.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:36 AM   #10
kannm

I am really starting to want a few fiber goats. The only problem is that I really would need them to help cover the cost of having them. I don't expect to make money, just buffer their costs or come out a little ahead.

Quick Reply