Goats of the Month - Peanut & Puddles

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Fuzzy Fibers > Oral Ivermectin question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
artzkat
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Oral Ivermectin question

Hi All! Glad to be back to this group..was on GW

I am a newbie goat owner..have 7 amazing Pygoras that I got as babies that are now10 months old. Every day I find out how much I DON'T know!

We had weird HOT weather here until 2 days ago so I am now treating for worms. My vet had me give them subQ Ivermectin last month..but a fecal last week shows that I will have to dose again.

I want to give it orally, as I HATE giving them shots if not necessary..so here are my questions...
If I give it orally do I just squirt 1CC it into their mouths with the syringe (without needle of course)? I've heard that they can react badly to this.

Since they are nutty about cracked corn (which they seldom get, but for special treat), could I squirt it on individual rations of corn for them and feed that? Or inject it into apple slices?????

Any suggestions from you veteran goat owners????

Kat C.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
needs to know more

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can give it orally!!! doses vary depending on who you ask. I give 1 cc per 25 lbs or there about. I always round up, better to give to much than not enough. They don't like it but don't react that bad!!!! I put it in from the side of the mouth, aiming for the back of the tonge. They may spit or lose a little of it. I always give a treat afterwards, and all my goats still love me!!!!!! I have given wormers in treats before, but prefer to give them the wormer and then the treat. That way you know they are getting what she should be getting.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
StaceyRosado
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2736 Times on 1715 Posts
Likes Given: 571

the small amount you have to give orally won't hurt them.

They sputty and spit a little sometimes but nothing major.

I give all my wormers orally - it is much easier, quicker too.

End of The Line Farm
Facebook fan page

Old 10-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
artzkat
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the information guys..I feel more confident now about giving them the ivormec orally.

Kat C.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:27 AM   #5
getchagoat (Julie)

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via AIM to getchagoat (Julie)

I'm curious as to what worms the fecal showed. And how long was the fecal done from the first time you wormed? If it's been longer than 3 weeks, the goats could be reinfested, especially with the heat.

Julie Holman
Weed 'em and Reap Farms
http://www.getchagoat.com
Producer of highest selling 50% kiko doeling at Kikofest 2008

Old 10-31-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
artzkat
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Ivermectin question

Hi Julie..the goats have roundworms..and the vet had me give them ivermectin subQ about a month ago..two weeks after that treatment I had a fecal done and vet said that the count had dropped but worms were not gone and I should give them another dose I just think that maybe an oral dose this time might do the trick.
The weather has not helped at all..too hot, no rain, pastures a mess and goats are eating close to the ground...so for sure they are getting reinfested. It is a challenge to keep them healthy on all levels with this weird weather. I have even been taking them out twice a day for browsing walks just to try to get them the browse they need.

Kat C.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
jBlaze

I thought I heard somewhere that giving the ivermec sub-q targets certain types and giving the same stuff orally targets other types. I have no idea if that is right or not though, lol. I am pretty sure the goat dosage is twice the cow dosage though, either way.

jBlaze

Old 11-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
sweetgoats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1361 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Send a message via MSN to sweetgoats

A clinic I just went to with the CU (FT Collins Vet School CO), said NEVER give Ivermectin in shot form. He said that once the Meds go in, the meds will burn and "eat" away at the skin. He said they gave goats shot of it, and later butchered the goat. You know how small the needle is right? Well he said the Meat was "eaten sort of speak" about the size of a baseball. That is a lot of ruined meat you someone does market goats. Even if you do not butcher, the meat and muscle is ruined. He said to ALWAYS do it orally. I told him that I almost lost a goat because he threw himself on the ground, and couldn't get up. Once he got up, he would limp around for several hours. I thought he was just a real wimp, he said YES he was but it also burns like H***. I told him that i have been doing it orally fro years. He said that was by far the best way to give it.
Yes you can use a syringe, I have used them forever, but I am going to but a drenching syringe. It is a lot easier and they do not spit out as much if any.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #9
StaceyRosado
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2736 Times on 1715 Posts
Likes Given: 571

I have thought of getting a drenching syringe but wasn't sure if it was really that helpful. So you find it to be Lori?

End of The Line Farm
Facebook fan page

Old 11-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
sweetgoats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1361 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Send a message via MSN to sweetgoats

Stacie, I wonder how I could of ever gotten the correct dose in their mouths with out it. (I am sure I did not) I am sure you all have tried to get the syringe in their mouths, and you just can not get the "big" thing back far enough without gouging their mouths. Then the just spit it out
All you have to do is put it on their tong and towards the back of their mouths, and they swallow it all.
I think I am going to buy all my 4H kids one for their herds, for Christmas. Last year I bought them all a Cashmere scarf.

Quick Reply