Goat of the Month - Mollie

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > General Info > Show Circuit > How to get your goat to brace/push??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
jcarr492

Default How to get your goat to brace/push??

My girls are in to their 3rd year of raising boers for 4H and the county fair. One thing they haven't gotten the hang of is training their goats to brace or push for show. They get them to half way look decent standing...but since we have new kids...they would really like to know how to just START with them to teach them to do this. We've had them a week and the girls are just getting out there to be with them. They have collars on them and when they leash them up, of course, they dont want to walk, yet. What are the steps to working with them and how long should they work with them each day? What are good things to do with them to help build up muscle? I wish they knew more about them, but they've just gotten lucky in the ring at fair time. They placed 5th and 7th last year..but would really like to strive for grand or reserve!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
RPC
Former Boer Goat Breeder

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Send a message via AIM to RPC
Default Re: How to get your goat to brace/push??

I have been wondering the same thing. Bracing is new to our county fair and so I don't know how to teach the kids to do it. We have not started working with ours yet so I know it will be a chore.

"Live everyday like its you last because you never know when it will be"

Raising boer goats for 4-h and food.
http://cgkboergoats.weebly.com
Facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/CGK-Boer- ... 92?sk=wall

Old 04-25-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
Dani-1995

Liked 1093 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 203

I start by pushing them backwards using my knee. Sometimes i push them into our chain link fence, or into a puddle of water. I know some people push them to the end of the fitting stand but just far enough to step off and then pull them forward before they're feet hit the ground. So far with 3 wethers that hasn't worked for me. I have more luck backing them into to things and bulling them around then anything. I'd try a couple different methods with them and see what works best. Just remember to reward them when they do a good job

Old 04-25-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
RPC
Former Boer Goat Breeder

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Send a message via AIM to RPC

So when you puck them into the wall you are hoping they will push back against your leg? What if they don't and just let you keep pushing? Dani I am not going to lie I was hoping you would comment.

"Live everyday like its you last because you never know when it will be"

Raising boer goats for 4-h and food.
http://cgkboergoats.weebly.com
Facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/CGK-Boer- ... 92?sk=wall

Old 04-25-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
jcarr492

how often should we be working with them? everyday I'm sure...but how many times a day? the kids have school during the week, but have evenings and weekends free till schools out. Also, how long should they work with them? 1/2 hour? hour? longer? they have two progress shows this summer...would be nice to not have to fight the goats in the ring. LOL getting a free treadmill tomorrow that we'll rig up to use to walk the goats on an incline later. Just want to get this training started early instead of half way to fair time.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Dani-1995

Well Roger, I'm not going to lie, I know people who have way more expirience in this than I do but I'll tell you what I do and maybe it'll help you. I've been showing goats for three years and the last two bracing has become really popular in our area.

If they keep letting me push them I will pull them into my knee really hard and quick, then push them back again until they catch on. Mine will evetually get mad at me and start pushing, once they push for about 20 seconds I stop bracing and pet them, then brace again. It takes a few days of work to get them to brace good. I normally work mine for 10 mins at a time. It also helps if you can get them tired before hand so they won't try you as much.

Be ready for them to jump up and throw a fit because they will more than likely get mad. Just keep pushing them down and try again. Its all in practicing with them. Another thing I've done this year is not use a collar to brace until they're doing good. I have a goat that likes to jump and act a fool, so I just grabbed him like a lamb one day and it worked. I introduced the collar to him during bracing after he finally caught on. Preassure behind the ears and on the poll works too.

Hopefully that helped you all a little bit. Everytime I work with my goats I find something new that works... they can be tricky creatures for sure.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
goatgirlzCA

Liked 88 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We have found that some wethers will put their legs back and brace, and others squat and practically sit down!

Like Dani said, get their front end up and put your knee in their chest. If they don't "set" their legs, start slowly pushing/walking them backward. If they don't stop and put their legs back and push back, we back them into a fence, wall, etc. With the "squatters" we had, which were very hard to train - we would push them backwards off the hill on our driveway. When they felt the drop off, they would push back. Somebody told he too to dig a rectangle hole and fill it with water and back them into that. I never tried that though.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
firelight27
Hopelessly Addicted

Liked 196 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Send a message via Yahoo to firelight27

I used to put my show lambs in the bed of my truck and push until they got to the edge. I would let one leg step right off the bed. I never had to pull them back up as they would never come close to falling. They just stuck one leg out there, felt air and scrambled for the truck bed again. Instant brace. Pretty soon they learned to brace against my knee every time I pushed back.

Countdown to Sherry's Day 145!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Dani-1995

Oops forgot about the squatters. I use my non bracing leg and tap there stomachs to get them to stand straight. Sometimes it helps to pull the heads up really high to straighten them out too. None of my personal wethers have ever been squatters but I have worked with a couple that were.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
jcarr492

Okay, thanks for the tips! you said you work them about 10min a day starting. How many times a day though? Or do you do a morning, afternoon, evening schedule? And should we start them on this now or do you wait till their a certain age? These were born in January.

Quick Reply