Goats of the Month - Peanut & Puddles

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > All Things Animal > Precious Protectors > My herd protector chasing deer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #21
enchantedgoats

Liked 407 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 363

i have 3 dogs on invisible fence and it works great!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #22
goathiker
I'm watching you
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8249 Times on 4515 Posts
Likes Given: 865

In Oregon it's lumped with the livestock laws and the tribes do consider the deer their livestock.

Any dog caught chasing or harassing livestock, deer, or elk is fair game.

I tried to be normal once, it was the worst 2 minutes of my life...

Old 09-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #23
CAjerseychick

Liked 122 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatylisa View Post
In CA I know it is legal to shoot a dog that is chasing a deer down. On your property or not, a dog can not chase it down and hurt or harass it. The dog can chase it off but it can't take it down or bite the animal that harms it's life or cripples it.

Ooops I'm adding an edit because I see you responded first but it does allow us old shmows to shoot if it sees a threat of the dog to wildlife and fish and wildlife aka formerly fish and game can't show up in a reasonable amount of time.
That makes sense to me about not letting your dog harass wildlife(although it did seem to allow for hunting with your dogs during deer season, we dont have guns so can you hunt, but without a Gun? I love deer meat)-- but I did look it up and does not say anything about someone(not Fish and Game) entering your property to shoot your dog--
We have no trespassing signs signs posted and our dogs are guards and would have issue with people coming onto our property....
Sorry not meaning to hijack the thread.... Country life sure is interesting (alotta things I never thought about, as a kid growing up in AR)...

California
CA Fish and G. Code § 3960

It is unlawful to permit or allow any dog to pursue any big game mammal during the closed season on such mammal, to pursue any fully protected, rare, or endangered mammal at any time, or to pursue any mammal in a game refuge or ecological reserve if hunting within such refuge or ecological reserve is unlawful. Any employee of the fish and game department may capture or dispatch a dog causing injury to wildlife without liability.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #24
GreenMountainNigerians

Liked 319 Times on 183 Posts

True Goathiker. We have almost no neighbors but our land borders BLM land on one side. Hunters are allowed to kill dogs chasing deer if they don't see a collar. We have many deer and elk hunters too. It's just a bad thing. He has never ran a deer down that I know of,but one they start it can progress to that. I our area dogs chasing livestock or deer are usually executed. He is doing perfect on his e collar. Will be doing the invisable fence too.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #25
goathiker
I'm watching you
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Entering your property is another interesting thing. Fish and Game, Animal Control, etc. can't go through a closed gate without a search warrant. SO...keep your driveway gate shut, less hassle.

Most hunting with dogs is now not permitted. I think raccoons and squirrels are all you can do now although we are trying to be allowed to hunt cougar with dogs. We still use a gun, the dogs only track and tree the animals.

Trickyroo Likes This 
Old 09-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #26
goathiker
I'm watching you
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Glad he's doing better GMN. The invisible fence should work really well since he's already trained to the E collar.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #27
GreenMountainNigerians

Thanks Goathiker! That's true,chasing livestock or deer is a serious matter in this state. BLM land borders our property and hunters are allowed to shoot a dog chasing deer. Suppose to find the owner on collared dogs.
Bear is doing excellent on his e collar and that may be all the control we need. Don't want to discourage his guardian instincts but he must return when called. The invisable fence is still in the plan too.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #28
CAjerseychick

Liked 122 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by goathiker View Post
Entering your property is another interesting thing. Fish and Game, Animal Control, etc. can't go through a closed gate without a search warrant. SO...keep your driveway gate shut, less hassle.

Most hunting with dogs is now not permitted. I think raccoons and squirrels are all you can do now although we are trying to be allowed to hunt cougar with dogs. We still use a gun, the dogs only track and tree the animals.
Hmm good info (no wonder our past neighbor told us to get a cattle gate and post no tresspassing signs on it)-- I had to add a chain that darn Giant Schnauzer took about a minute to figure out how to open it with her paws-- she was on ecollar for a yr to train her to Come, but not sure how it would work if she was really fired up ... invisible fence def not as the pain just lasts a few seconds, once they are over it they keep running (my girl would).....Hotwiring a section might work better vs invisible fencing... But depends on the dog....

Old 10-22-2013, 02:52 AM   #29
GreenMountainNigerians

image-1993095712.jpg

Update on my dog,Bear! After using the e collar Bear has been a good boy. Still wears it in case of an unexpected encounter but haven't needed to use it. He stays with me and the goats and is a vigilant guardian. Leading them back to the barn for me is his favorite chore after a hike. Thanks fir all your help.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:32 AM   #30
ksalvagno
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10131 Times on 7332 Posts
Likes Given: 2301

Glad you were able to stop it before it became a habit.

Karen Salvagno
Salvagno Farm

Trickyroo Likes This 

Quick Reply