Goat of the Month - Abigail Hope

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > General Info > 4H/FFA Corner > Showmanship Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
Dover Farms

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Showmanship Questions

I know my goat parts and all the scorecards(Showmanship, Sr. Doe, Jr. Doe, and Buck). I also know some of the parasite/disease symtoms Example: What is a sign of Cocci?(got asked that one time and I got it right), but need to work on them. I was told that I should read the ADGA Guidebook inside out at least once a month...once a week even better(this is for going to Nationals), which I know I should, but the stuff on membership and the commitee meeting stuff is so boring. Although when it gets to the actual goat and breed stuff...I am fine.

We are going to Louisville this year(YAY!!) and I would like to know what are some general questions they ask at Nationals? I am sure they are harder, but how much? Do they ask much out of the Guidebook other than breed standards like anything about membership and commitee meetings?(Hope not! :P ) Do they ask skeletal parts?

Thanks!

State Line Dairy Goats
ADGA Registered Purebred, American, and Recorded Grade Nubians

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
goathappy

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Send a message via AIM to goathappy Send a message via MSN to goathappy Send a message via Yahoo to goathappy
Default Re: Showmanship Questions

Sorry I can't tell you anything but I would also ask this on one of the Yahoo lists

~Sarah~
Sandy Lane Dairy Goats
ADGA Registered LaManchas, Oberhasli and Saanens
My Blog | Flickr

Normal is just the average of odd

Old 04-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
Dover Farms

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Sarah! I didn't think about that....

State Line Dairy Goats

Old 04-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
sweetgoats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1318 Times on 906 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Send a message via MSN to sweetgoats

WOW, I don't know what they would ask at Nationals, but my daughter has won Grand Champion Showman for the last 4 years at the County and state level.
She just studies all the parts, knows her diseases, what to treat certain things with, what the withdraw time is of meds, How to tell someone where a part is on a goat WITHOUT touching or pointing to the goat. (as if you were telling someone here). That was the thing she won it last year at the state fair, because she wanted to know if you new ALL your parts.
She wanted signs of plant poisoning, Cocci, Worm over load, bloat, and I can not think of the other things. She was VERY hard on the kids, as she should be on the Seniors.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:54 AM   #5
sparks879

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to sparks879

i never went to nationals as a youth but have friends that did. Even at state levels we were asked to tell the judge a part, in relation to other parts, so like the withers i said, the withers are at the base of the neck, the first part of the four parts of the bak in front of the chine and abouve the point of shoulder. setting up a goat. they may ask you to trade goats. ALWAYS move your new goat foreward a step or two and re set her, this shows the judge that you think you can set up that doe better then the owner. Take a quick peek at the doe as you walk up to her, notice her weakest and strongest points at a glance, the judge my ask you what you like and dislike about her. what would you change about your own doe what are you does strongest points, and why
dont just say her udder. Why do you like her udder? what makes it her strongest point? the scorecard is a huge thing, know the showmanship scorecard too.
Cleanliness is another huge thing, for you and your goat. Make sure she is spotless the night before, bather her show sheen her, some tricks to bathing is put some condiotner on her coat while keeping her wet leave it on for about ten minutes before you completly rinse her. Make sure she is well rinsed soap residue stays sticky. When you clip her, take carful consideration of the ears tail top of head and in between toes. work with your doe a lot! get her to walk easily not fighting you when you pick up her feet or touch her udder. Have different friends come over and act as a judge and have them touch her. Some goats freak out when strangers touch them. I dint really have any friends close to me involved in goats, when we traded goats my doe would always freak out yelling and looking for me. Get your friends to handle her as well. So she is calm around new people.
Know her birthdat her freshening date and any other dates you think you might need, aong with how many times she has freshened.
characteristics of each breed, parts of course. Depending on your age group there could be a huge range of qestions.
beth

when the going gets tuf the tuf get going
2'Tuf Alpines
http://www.freewebs.com/2tufalpines/
Freeland Washington

Old 04-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
Dover Farms

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Beth! I never thought about moving a doe forward after switching to re-set her. Hey do you have pics of all the different Alpine colors?? I know a few, but I can't remember all the cou ones and I would like to see them. Maybe then I'll be able to remember!

I was also told that I should learn how to bump set a goat. I need someone to show me how, because I tried with a doe last summer and I couldn't bump set her worth squat. Also, my does aren't used to it either and I am not confortable with it either, because it takes me longer to do that then to grab the legs to set them up.

And I know I gotta be prepared for anything. Last year a judge about stumped me, well..not stumped, but it did take me a little bit to answer....he asked a list of the parts that start with C.

State Line Dairy Goats

Old 04-04-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
Muddy Creek Farm

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What is bump setting them? I have an idea but I want to see if it is what I am thinking. Boy I never realized how tough showmanship was!

[i]Chelsey

Old 04-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
Dover Farms

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bump setting is where you take your knee(or you can use your hand) and put pressure on the goats point of shoulder(knee) or below the should blade(hand). Depending on which side you apply pressure...supposedly....the opposite(I think) rear leg will move. Now I've got the rear leg to move, but the doe put it too far back...although she does this herself sometimes. I'll have to try more on a doe whose stands more properly than the one that wants to stand like a walker horse....

Anyway...bump setting is good if your doe doesn't like her rear legs being touched and so you can always keep your eye on the judge. (my thinking though...if you can set your doe up quick it won't really matter :P )

State Line Dairy Goats

Old 04-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
Muddy Creek Farm

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, that's exactly what I thought. I think I will have to try that on some of my does this year. Good luck at Nationals!!

[i]Chelsey

Old 04-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
sparks879

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to sparks879

bump setting can be very difficult to teach the doe. First you have to teach them to set correctly. Practicing to the point that when you stop they automatically set up. This takes a lot of practice. personally i think your better off training your doe to to be alright with you haveing you touch her legs. When your pushing your doe into position i think it looks bad. If you have a nice well built doe, i assume your going to use that red two year old of yours? they tend to naturally set themselves and you wont have to move much. Another thing to remember is keep that topline level. When im setting a doe i level her out before i move her legs, and then again afterword. If you have a doe who is weak in the chine or lower n the withers tickeling just behind her front legs will help that. show the doe not yourself, squatting is a good way to do that. if your knees start to hurt like mine always do, a little trick is when the judge has got his back to you gently pull your doe foreward just a little, get her to take a small step, it gives you a chance to stand up and stretch your knees. Just dont do it too much, maybe once or twice.
as for the alpines, if they ask you to describe the alpine chaecteristics, use words that apply to the breed: Dished or straight face erect ears they are a medium to large breed they can be any color or combination of colors but pure white and toggenburg patturn (then go on to describe the togg patturn and markings a medium brown with white facial stripes lower legs and ears, along with white triangles on either side of the tail is also descriminated against.
some of the color patturns are cou clair meaning clear neck wich is black in the back with a saffron gray or tan front end. cou blanc means white neck, black hind quarters and white front quarters. cou noir pronounced coo nwah means black neck, this is black in the front and white in the back. hope this helps some. Its exciting to go to nationals!
beth

when the going gets tuf the tuf get going
2'Tuf Alpines
http://www.freewebs.com/2tufalpines/
Freeland Washington

Quick Reply