Goats of the Month - Peanut & Puddles

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Management > 3 NEW baby Saanen goats! One will NOT bottle feed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
LegendsCreekFarm

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default 3 NEW baby Saanen goats! One will NOT bottle feed

I have been so extremely overwhelmed I haven't had a chance to get to the forum in over 2 weeks. My partner was here on Spring break from law school and we were enjoying the start of Spring and getting the fields ready for tilling in order to set up our crops. To top things off we have a bunch of baby ducks, and chickens growing, 2 new guinea fowl, and in the process of trying to sell the last of the baby bucks, we were able to pick up 3 purebread baby Saanen does really cheap!! Now we will be able to expand our flock even further if we can get all 5 does pregnant in the fall.

Now the problem started when we assumed we would be able to bottle feed all 3 of them for a few weeks which I don't mind doing at all, but one of the babies will NOT take to the bottle. Ive tried everything, even blindfolding her. Several different nipples and nothing works. She screams when I try to force it, and wont even drink it out of a bowl.

I decided to force my one goat Ida who was giving me about a gallon of milk every 2 days to nurse the kid who wont bottle feed, she does it but is very unhappy about it. I have to hold her in place the entire time but so far it works. Is this OK or should I keep pressing on the bottle feeding. The horrible part about the whole thing is that I am not getting any milk for myself and I had been making this amazing fresh chevre and now I need to wait again until I sell the last buck and get all the milk from Dotty, and get this baby off of Ida, and bottle feed the 3. SO OVERWHELMED but in a good way!!

http://www.LegendsCreekFarm.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
toth boer goats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4467 Times on 3288 Posts
Likes Given: 8280

Default Re: 3 NEW baby Saanen goats! One will NOT bottle feed

Sorry... you can't get the baby to take the bottle... if you have tried for many days and no success... it is probably not going to work.... It is OK ...to use the Doe to feed the kid.....but... it is a bummer ...you cannot get milk for yourself because of it..... it is very kind hearted of you.... to want to take care of the kid like that..... that is a wonderful thing....

Located in northern ca
selling Registered Fullbloods to commercial stock
http://tothboergoats.com/

Old 03-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
xymenah
Member with a bahhh

Liked 824 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Send a message via Skype™ to xymenah

I left my kids on their mom for a week then put them on the bottle. I had one that it took me three days to get to take it. I waited for him to start screaming and shove the nipple in his mouth and just squirt it in his mouth and force him to swallow making sure not to drown him. I held his mouth onto the nipple so he couldn't do an open mouth scream and spill all the milk. It also helps if they are hungry. So I left him in the pen with his brothers over night around twelve hours with no food. He got the hint that is was either take that fake nasty nipple or starve. Putting molasses on it can sometimes help too but not for this little guy. I don't know how long you tried but If after all that you can't get her to take a bottle then I guess you can say you've done what you can.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." - George Bernard Shaw

Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
LegendsCreekFarm

Is been almost a week of trying and she still won't do it. Frustrating, but they are the most adorable babies I have ever seen!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
toth boer goats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4467 Times on 3288 Posts
Likes Given: 8280

Aww...hmm....you can keep trying for a bit longer...or... you can catch the Doe and feed the kid that way.....it is up to you.....I know it is frustrating when.. they won't take the bottle.... ....

Located in northern ca
selling Registered Fullbloods to commercial stock
http://tothboergoats.com/

Old 03-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
LegendsCreekFarm

There have been many frustrating things happen since I decided to keep goats, more frustrating than rewarding, but I think once I get down to a routine, and have my land set up proper, and the babies grow a bit I will be able to enjoy the benefits of all my hard work. The 2 original goats are still real pains in the butt and SO stubborn, constantly breaking the rules and even walking right through my electric fence to get to greener pasture. I hope I don't grey at 31!! haha

Old 03-23-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
milk and honey

Liked 633 Times on 385 Posts

Just keep thinking about that Chevre... and then try Feta, that's my favorite to make, and it's also WONDERFUL. They will be worth the frustration someday... at least mine are

Old 03-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #8
LegendsCreekFarm

I am really excited about trying some cheddar... I know it takes a lot longer, but it's my favorite cheese and all the cows milk versions I have tried came out amazing. My partner also wants me to make blue cheeses for him, he loves the stuff!

Old 03-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
LegendsCreekFarm

This morning ingot her to drink more from the bottle and then didn't allow her to milk from the goat. She is hungry now and whining, I will wait a few hours and see if I can get her back on the bottle. The way I see it is if she is hungry enough, she will drink it! Lol

Old 03-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
mtmom75

Liked 99 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Oh that sounds promising! Good luck today. I hope she takes the bottle for you.

Quick Reply