You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of The Goat Spot    

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Management >

Bottle Baby question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
Retiredokjusttired

Liked 99 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Default Bottle Baby question

I have a 10 day old bottle kid buckling. It is warm here during the days so I take him out with me while I feed and put him in a safe pen where he is next to the other goats. He is eating the dirt. I figure it's the mineral in the soil? He gets moved a few times while I am cleaning and he particularly likes the dirt in one area out side of the pens where the goats don't go much and their is grass. This has me thinking about worms and cocci. He is not showing any signs...to young for worms to be fully developed...just trying to stay ahead of potential problems. I have offered him some mineral in a small dish. He does not want it. Any thing I need to be concerned about or give him to prevent problems. Second question. He is a lone bottle baby. He is in the house and I have small dog. They stay clear of each other but he can see the dog. The dog is fine..just not fond of the goat, not aggressive at all. That said, how do I help this bottle goat not turn out totally unsocial and helpless in the pecking order when reintroducing him to the herd. I have a weaning pen and he will go in with the other couple of weaners but I bought a bottle goat one time and she came with 4 others. The Buck...who was also a bottle goat did not like her and unbeknownst to me (as a new goat owner), he killed her. He head butted her hard enough to kill her from what I could tell of the aftermath. Hard lesson there...so, what do I do about this "orphan"? Suggestions please. He is getting slight interaction with a mini buck through a very sturdy fence, but that is the most I can provide at the moment.
Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
SalteyLove

Liked 3001 Times on 1978 Posts
Likes Given: 7293

Sorry your post got missed!

Personally, I automatically do coccidia prevention at 3-4 weeks of age and then follow that with automatic deworming at 6 weeks of age. There are lots of methods but that's what I choose based on kid's susceptibility to worms & coccidia.

Bottle baby socialization can be a might tricky thing! I think it is best to set up a small stall/pen within the barn/shed/pen of goats where he will be living and move him out there ASAP and bring the bottles to him there. After a week or so of interacting through the pen, I would open up a hole just big enough for the bottle baby to move in & out freely, but not allowing the other goats in. The bottle baby's stall will provide a safe place for him to get away, and you can keep grain and hay available for him in there at all times.

People Like This 
Old 02-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
toth boer goats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8787 Times on 6632 Posts
Likes Given: 16032

Very good advice above.

I don't know how this post was missed, I am very sorry it happened.
Located in northern ca
selling Registered Fullbloods to commercial stock
http://tothboergoats.com/
Retiredokjusttired Likes This 
Old 02-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #4
Retiredokjusttired

Liked 99 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Thank you both for responding. No biggie..I have asked so many questions on here lately I kept checking. Appreciate the feed back. I have been leaving him out about 4 hours at a time in a stall surrounded by other goats. One will end up his pen mate or they will live next to each other. So glad I was going in the right directing and I AM ready for him to sleep out there...that was my next question so thanks for stating moving him out ASAP.
The worming and Cocci info is also much appreciated. He is 2 weeks 1 day right now.
Oh and the stall has a heat lamp ...we have up and down temps the next week or so...the heat lamp will be on when it goes under freezing.

Love this site <3
People Like This 
Old 02-23-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
toth boer goats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8787 Times on 6632 Posts
Likes Given: 16032

Glad all is OK.
Located in northern ca
selling Registered Fullbloods to commercial stock
http://tothboergoats.com/
Retiredokjusttired Likes This 
Old 02-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #6
Pheeber

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You all deworm at 4 weeks then 6 weeks, what product do you use to deworm?

Quick Reply