Goat of the Month - Mollie

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Management > Breeding Doeling to Father?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #1
ETgoatygirl

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Breeding Doeling to Father?

Hi everyone! I have a question for all of you goat breeders out there.. Have you ever bred a doe to her father? It sounds like it could definitely cause problems to me, if one wasn't careful. But I'm no expert I'm a little hesitant to do it. Here is my dilemma, I have one doeling who I would rather breed to someone other than her father. The doelings father is "boarding" with all of my other girls at my home. It just seems so much simpler just to use the buck I have here than to go bring another buck back here for a month and put him and my one doeling in a seperate pen. But I do want to do what's best for my goats. Is this father to daughter breeding a bad thing? I would only like to breed them together this once (as next year she should be big enough to breed to a very nice neighborhood buck). I just really don't want to end up with babies coming out with three heads, etc. Thank you!

~Emma~

4 Heart Farm

http://www.4heartfarm.weebly.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
goathiker
I'm watching you
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6807 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 735

It depends. How well do you know the line that would be doubled up? Have you seen his mom, sisters, kids, etc? You don't end up with 3 headed kids (although I'm weird to think that would be cool if it lived). What you end up doing is intesifying the good and the bad in the line. Such as, I have an oberhasli buck that throws beautiful strong udders but he has no brisket, it's horrible. Now he throws nice briskets on his kids as it doesn't seem to be a dominant gene in his line BUT if I bred one of his doelings back to him, I'm pretty sure that those kids would have the horrible brisket. The strengths of the line can make it worth the risk too. If his mom has a drop dead gorgeous udder, top line, or some other strength worth intensifying in the kids and he doesn't show a terrible fault. (clear as mud huh?)

I tried to be normal once, it was the worst 2 minutes of my life...

People Like This 
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
Used2bmimi
HBZ Meat Goats

Liked 881 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Actually Goathiker that's not a bad explanation at all. Father/daughter breeding can be done. Line breeding/inbreeding is often used by breeders to "set" positive traits in a line. It has played a large role in defining breeds and specific lines within breeds. The problem when it is used indescriminately is that it sets bad traits too. So in Goathiker's example, (in very simplified terms) if the offspring got 'bad brisket' from the father and 'bad brisket' from the daughter, then the offspring has no 'good brisket' at all to pass on in it's genetics, so the bad brisket is set.

I realize that what you are really asking is if your doelings offspring will be deformed. There is no perfect answer to that as it depends on the buck's genetics. If he and the daughter do not share any problem areas then yes you could most likely get away with it. It would happen all the time in a wild herd. But then again a wild herd is more harshly culled (by nature) for survivability issues than a domestic herd. I, myself, do not like to see linebreeding/ inbreeding done (in any species) for convenience. But, I also understand that sometimes you have to take what you have and run with it.

Last edited by Used2bmimi; 11-26-2012 at 05:58 AM.
People Like This 
Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
GoatsLive
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 86 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 89

My girl Molly is the product of a buck and his offspring. Molly has many many faults and I would never in a million years allow her to breed because of it. She's a very sweet and wonderful pet though

We're just a retired couple, living on a
hobby farm and sharing our love of goats
with the world.

Visit our goats at:

Old 11-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
20kidsonhill

Liked 409 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 631

We have done it several times. Linebreeding/inbreeding one time is not going to cause any major problems. Not sure what your sale is for your kids/her kids. We sold our offspring from father and daughter breedings as commercial, or for 4h kids as show wethers.
If the buck you are using has any major faults or issue, your offspring are for sure to carry it. Like weak legs for example. by breeding that buck to an unrelated doe you stand a chance of having stronger legged offspring from a weak legged buck, but if you breed that buck to his daughter, the odds are pretty good you are going to see weak legged offspring. The same is true for a good quality in your buck. So if you like the buck and you don't feel that having the kids linebred so closely will bother your sale of the kids, then I would do it. Well, I have. One year we bred 5 does back to their father. We purchased another buck, but he ended up being to shy and young to breed the does and so we put them with their dad, rather than having them sit open for another year or having to go and buy yet another buck.

We have also done it other years when we just had one buck and didn't want to buy a 2nd buck for just one or two keeper does.

Last edited by 20kidsonhill; 11-27-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
animalfamily

Liked 135 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I personally am not a fan of inbreeding as well, but I must say that accidents do happen sometimes, and we have run into this situation once in the past. It seemed to have no ill effects on the offspring. We have sloved this problem though, as we now only keep one buck [and he's one HAPPY buck now!!]

www.mypetsonparade.com
Where all pets are special!

(New members welcome and always appreciated!!)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Pets-On-Parade/503147746384625

Nice rack, huh?

Old 11-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
nancy d
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3745 Times on 2482 Posts
Likes Given: 3056

Goathiker said it very well!
The outcome can be really really good or really really bad. Not with 3 heads or anything bizarre.
Both strengths & weaknesses will be magnified.
But if doe & sire have no glaring faults you should be ok.
Last yr the only buck I had was sire to one. It was easier to just have him cover her. It was more economical.
Kids turned out pretty good.

Last edited by nancy d; 11-26-2012 at 02:28 PM.
toth boer goats Likes This 
Old 11-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
clearwtrbeach

Liked 940 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 994

It has been said well by Goathiker and 20kids with them adding what you were planning on with the kids.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
KW Farms
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1709 Times on 1088 Posts
Likes Given: 281

Send a message via AIM to KW Farms

If you don't think she should be bred to her sire, then don't. You're going to tighten those genetics up alot with a breeding that close. The kids *could* have issues, though quite unlikely, but things such as weakened immune system happens a lot with closely bred or inbred animals, growth issues, etc. Breedings this close should really only be done with a specific goal in mind and the breeder should be ready to cull because those type breedings don't turn out a lot of the time. If it were me and I didn't think she'd cross well on her sire, then no, I would leave her open til I could find a buck that would.

Info. on Nigerian Dwarf goat colors/patterns/etc.: Click Here
NEW: LIKE US on Facebook KW FARMS
GTAllen Likes This 
Old 11-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
toth boer goats
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3925 Times on 2905 Posts
Likes Given: 7385

I do agree, it is is a gamble. You have to know, that line of genetics.
I myself ,wouldn't breed that close, as it may be something not worth waiting for, but yet ,if you know what you are breeding, you may get something extraordinary.
It is up to each breeder.

Located in northern ca
selling Registered Fullbloods to commercial stock
http://tothboergoats.com/

Quick Reply