Goats of the Month - Pumpkin Pie

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Management > Can I leave Billy with nannies all year round?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Newbygoatman

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Can I leave Billy with nannies all year round?

H all

I was just wondering whether I could leave my billy goat with my nannies all year round? If so when would I have to wean the young doelings incase he mates them? And also when would the nannies naturally come back into season to be tupped?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
PiccoloGoat
goat girl x0x0

Liked 529 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 287

You COULD, but I don't think it would be a very good idea management wise.
It means to nannies would constantly be getting pregnant and wouldn't get a break from the buck.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
emilieanne

Liked 884 Times on 625 Posts

I did this with my first two goats (I didn't know anything)
Everything was fine BUT our buck was so sweet and wouldn't hurt anything!
We did end up with some insest babies though.. That can cause complications. It didnt with me, but it can.
If they're pets, I don't recommend it.
But if they are for breeding, I would say it's fine just make sure each doe gets their break and the babies don't get hurt.
Also, if the doe is nursing a baby or babies, I'd say get them away from the buck.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Texas.girl
Adopted by Goats

Liked 502 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 1126

Until recently my buck was with my does and 3 kids were in my vegetable garden. But last week that buck made me so mad he is now by himself in the vegetable garden and thankfully the kids are doing okay in with the does. The buck would not leave the does alone. He kept chasing them away from the food, trying to mount them (both does I am sure are pregnant) and just causing all sorts of problems. He got mad at me when I tried to push him away (with a stick to his horns) so I could put food in the feeder and that was just the final straw. So now he is by himself. He butts everything and I mean everything so it isn't safe to put him with anyone for the time being. Eventually my 4 month old twin wethers will be big enough to fight back and then maybe I will move them in with the buck, but right now he has to be by himself. Also, I was told on another post that if a buck butts the pregnant doe on the side it might cause her to miscarry. My buck does that a lot. I am glad he is away from my does. I will be even happier when the fencing we are putting up to seperate him from the others is finally done. Then I can start getting the vegetable garden ready for spring.

It’s all Lawn Mower’s fault. She showed up one day and then asked for some playmates. I now a herd of goats, two cats, a dog, and a flock of egg laying chickens, 2 roosters, and 12 baby chicks.
ksalvagno Likes This 
Old 01-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
milkmaid
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Liked 1069 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 1412

What breed are your goats? If they are seasonal breeders, they will only get pregnant once a year even if kept with a buck all the time. If they are Boers or miniature, then I wouldn't as they will kid about twice a year, which would be a lot of stress for them.
Then there's the issue of the temperament of the buck, whether you want to know the exact date the does are bred, etc. And a buck will sometimes harass does in late pregnancy, causing them to go into premature labor, so you should keep him out if he does that.
Father breeding daughter is usually no big deal; just try not to let the goats become too inbred. Sometimes a defect can pop up, but more often than not the kids are normal.
So if you take all this into account and it works for you - go for it! That's how they live in the wild.

Oh, and young does come into their first heat at ~ 3-4 months. They really shouldn't be bred until they are much closer to adult size.

Think not that life owes you a debt;
To lose it is to live;
'Twas not bestowed on you to keep,
But to give, and give, and give.

Don't clasp it close, but fling it wide!
Do good to great and small.
Keep no account of loss or gain;
Ask nothing, and give all.

Last edited by milkmaid; 01-15-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
surveyman

Liked 33 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Let me tell you about my experience. I just got started in the goat business and my does all kidded between January and May. I didn't separate any of them. Well, in late July there was a big ruckus out there and I decided I had to get some of them away from the buck pronto. I was too late. The end result was they all had kids around Christmas, including some of last year's does, one of which kidded at 7 months old. I have learned a valuable lesson and will start keeping the buck away from anything I don't want bred.

Quick Reply