Goat of the Month - Mollie

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Management > Debud/Dehorn - When and how to do it at that age?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
onehorse_2000

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Debud/Dehorn - When and how to do it at that age?

Debudding/Dehorning -
What method do you use/need to use at what age?
Cripes, it seems like everything we recently got has a scur or bud and up until now we never needed to deal with debudding (yes, horses and polled cattle!), so please bare with me as I might not know what I am looking at too. I have a 2 1/2 month old that looks like she wasn't touched, a 4 month old that looks like she was burned on one side, but not the other (I don't know, but that is what it looks like), and a 7 month old with a handful of small scurs. First off, what does an untouched horn bud look like at various ages, so that I know for sure that is what I am dealing with and then how do I deal with them at the ages of these doelings, because I really don't want to wait until they need to be banded, if possible. I'm sorry if this sounds challenged, we are a bit, but more so, we just don't know, never dealt with.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
LilBleatsFarm
Premier Colorado Nigerian Dwarf Breeder

Liked 467 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 348

With my nigies -- I would reburn everyone needing it as soon as possible. It becomes a pain when they get larger and fight you.

If the scur/horn moves around then it's just skin surface and you can burn at the base on these and pop them off real easy. Then burn the area again real good.

Some of the scurs on my goaties only get about 1/2 long or so and I leave them alone.

On horns, do the same and see if you can pop some of it off. And then burn real good. If the base is to wide and you don't think you can get a good burn - then band.

Give banamine for pain and swelling if needed.

Maybe pics will help?

Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Hobbyfarmer

Liked 131 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I had a 5 month old Nubian doeling with a scur last year. I opted for my vet to do it. Cost about $200. I was concerned about pain at this age.

I disbudded our kids this year, triplet bucklings, at 7 days old. Wish I could have done it a few days earlier. But the doe went early on me and I hadn't even ordered the iron yet. Took about 30 minutes to do all 3. We burned each side twice for about 10 seconds. The rest of the time was allowing the iron to heat up/reheat, checking the iron, swaddling kids in towel, and quick cuddles between sets. As far as I could tell we had 1 possible scur. I don't have a ton of experience yet. Hope this helped.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:25 AM   #4
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1987 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 5671

Send a message via Yahoo to liz

I did my disbuds for the first time myself this past year... the 1st 2 bucklings I did at 6 days old and didn't hold the iron on long enough as 1 little wether has horns, the buckling has a scur on one side then the second side was reburned at 5 weeks and still has growth. 3rd buckling was done at 10 days as was his 3 sisters... those buds were barely there on those tiny little heads but I did better and that boy still has scurs and each of the 3 doelings have some light scurring, nothing bad.

In my experience though, horned kids have horn buds that grow almost from day 1...especially bucklings, some doelings I've had are at a week old before I can feel points...I've never had a kid wait longer than 2 weeks before those points showed through. Polled kids will have bumps, just no pointy tips.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #5
JaLyn

Liked 996 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 574

I think it cost me $50. for my vet to do my 4 month old nigeria/nubian cross.

http://www.facebook.com/JaLynDairyGoats?ref=ts&fref=ts
Website
http://jalyndairygoats.weebly.com/

Old 10-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
onehorse_2000

Default Debudding a 3 month old

Okay, talked with the breeder of the one doeling and she probably wasn't debudded. They can't remember if they did her or not, it's life and something I could probably do too (whoops missed that one). But, at this point, she is 3 months old, what is my best option to debud her? I can still burn her or do I need to wait until there is enough there to band or ???? I would prefer not going the vet route, if I can avoid it.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
ThreeHavens
5 does - 3 bucks

Liked 4489 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 9415

Dehorning can be life-threatening ... sometimes it's okay but it's more risky than disbudding. With disbudding you kill the horn growth before it becomes a horn, dehorning is removing a little horn that already has major blood vessels running through it.

(_††_)
~Click for our website~

Old 10-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Foottapper

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

..Onehorse_2000 what are "Polled cattle" ??

Old 10-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
onehorse_2000

Default Polled Cattle

Like goats, but the entire breed is polled. We have lowline angus and they are all polled, no horns, they have a knot on their head where the horns should be, but no horns. The lowline angus came from a project in Australia to breed a very meat heavy, grass finished animal, I do not know if polled was something that they were working towards also or not, but all fullblood lowline angus, at least in the US, are polled. I have not looked at the outcrossing as closely, but I believe they are also polled due to the genetics. We wanted without horns for the same reasons that you debud/dehorn the goats.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
WarPony

Liked 286 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehorse_2000 View Post
Okay, talked with the breeder of the one doeling and she probably wasn't debudded. They can't remember if they did her or not, it's life and something I could probably do too (whoops missed that one). But, at this point, she is 3 months old, what is my best option to debud her? I can still burn her or do I need to wait until there is enough there to band or ???? I would prefer not going the vet route, if I can avoid it.
I'd need to see a current picture to have an opinion on this. It kind of depends on horn growth, in my opinion. But if her growth is anything like my kids at 3 months burning isn't an option.

I have banded two of them at 5 months. One lost her horns 3 weeks after being banded and has a lovely smooth head with no scurs at all now as a 13 month old. The other was banded 3 1/2 weeks ago and lost one horn yesterday and the other is wobbly. She should be hornless any day now. I'm considering banding my mature horned doe but I have heard it can take many many months at her age and I don't want to put her through that. I'd much rather not dehorn but I've discovered that having horns around here on dairy animals makes them almost impossible to sell.

Quick Reply