Goats of the Month - Peanut & Puddles

The Goat Spot - Goat Forum > Goat discussion forums > Goat Management > Di-Methox Injection 40%

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
GotmygoatMTJ

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Re: Di-Methox Injection 40%

Okay, so basically, if I just want to start a prevention in JUST my kids, what should I use? The Di-Methox soluable? Given orally? At what per pound?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2002 Times on 1278 Posts
Likes Given: 5696

Send a message via Yahoo to liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotmygoatMTJ
Okay, so basically, if I just want to start a prevention in JUST my kids, what should I use? The Di-Methox soluable? Given orally? At what per pound?

I use the DiMethox powder and mix it by the cupful to get a 12.5% solution, for prevention I dose each kid with 1.5cc twice a day for a week starting at 3 weeks old, then 1.5cc once a week til weaned.
I also keep Sulmet on hand just in the case that the prevention doesn't work and treatment is warranted.
Mixing directions: 1 1/4 teaspoons powder into 1 cup of water

I never had an issue with coccidia here in the 7 years of kids until I bought a buckling which brought it with him....after the next years kids arrived I had one kid of 9 get an overload and to me it was better to do individual prevention because 3 week old kids do not eat enough "grain" to get the benefits of a medicated feed. At least, thats what my vet said.
My pens are kept as clean as the weather allows, barn is kept dry and all feed and water pans scrubbed weekly BUT theres still chance that no matter how clean the goats' home is that coccidia will rear it's ugly head.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
mtmom75

Liked 99 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When I got my doelings last year they were on Di-Methox 40% injectible diluted in water and fed by mouth, not injected. I believe they got it for 5-7 days in a row every 3 weeks until they were 4 months? I'd have to look that up to be sure of how often they got it.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
Tenacross
TGS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1414 Times on 848 Posts
Likes Given: 1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy d
As for the rumensin in goat milk, we have drank it & are still alive. It just doesnt taste as good.
You just can't argue about what a person tastes or doesn't.
I have not had the same experiences some folks have had with the taste of goats milk. I milked my Saanens during breeding season with a buck around and could not taste "a bucky taste". The Boer doe I am milking now's diet includes a medicated with Rumensin feed and I can not taste anything wrong with it. I think both the following statements are true.... Some people have better tasters than others. Some people's tasters are influenced by thier imaginations.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
mtmom75

Liked 99 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacross
Some people's tasters are influenced by thier imaginations.
Isn't that the truth. If I take some milk out of the freezer and thaw it without hubby or the kids knowing about it, they'll drink it without batting an eye. If I mention that it was frozen milk, they all tell me it's gross and they don't like frozen milk lol.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
GotmygoatMTJ

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotmygoatMTJ

I use the DiMethox powder and mix it by the cupful to get a 12.5% solution, for prevention I dose each kid with 1.5cc twice a day for a week starting at 3 weeks old, then 1.5cc once a week til weaned.
I also keep Sulmet on hand just in the case that the prevention doesn't work and treatment is warranted.
Mixing directions: 1 1/4 teaspoons powder into 1 cup of water

I never had an issue with coccidia here in the 7 years of kids until I bought a buckling which brought it with him....after the next years kids arrived I had one kid of 9 get an overload and to me it was better to do individual prevention because 3 week old kids do not eat enough "grain" to get the benefits of a medicated feed. At least, thats what my vet said.
My pens are kept as clean as the weather allows, barn is kept dry and all feed and water pans scrubbed weekly BUT theres still chance that no matter how clean the goats' home is that coccidia will rear it's ugly head.
Thank you Liz! Now I know what to order.

http://www.thomahomestead.weebly.com

Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #17
nancy d
TGS_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4174 Times on 2732 Posts
Likes Given: 3499

Tenacross I must be more sensitive than you. It seemed like when the milkers were getting sweet feed the milk was even better.
You make a good point though. There's some folks who dont like the taste of sweet feed milk.
Same with bucks around. I LIKE his aroma.
But open a stock trailer that hasnt been cleaned of cattle waste I will gag.
Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #18
liz
Administrator
TGS_ADMIN.png

Liked 2002 Times on 1278 Posts
Likes Given: 5696

Send a message via Yahoo to liz

I had to laugh at your post nancyd.... I agree with the cow ick, fresh isn't bad at all but let it sit in a barn over winter and it's worse than sewage!

Tasters are different...my does do get a sweet feed as well as pasture and alfalfa...AND the buck shares a fenceline, never had bucky tasting milk and I do like the sweet/nutty flavor of the milk my does give, never goaty but I can sure tell when they found a patch of wild garlic, ok flavor in cheese but not milk.

GotmyGoat...you are very welcome....I found that the powder lasts if it's kept in a jar with a tight lid, you only mix enough to use as needed and I do think the powder is cheaper in the long run. The 40% can be used for prevention as well. Hoeggers has directions in their catalog for it's use.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #19
LoneStarChic

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I use the injectable 40%, given orally..... I give it once a day for 5 days straight & repeat every 21 days. Same drug as the powder, just more concentrated & easier to give (smaller dose volume).

40% dosage is 1cc per 5# for day & one 1cc per 10# for days 2, 3, 4 and 5 for a preventative dose. Repeat every 21 days.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #20
GotmygoatMTJ

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarChic
I use the injectable 40%, given orally..... I give it once a day for 5 days straight & repeat every 21 days. Same drug as the powder, just more concentrated & easier to give (smaller dose volume).

40% dosage is 1cc per 5# for day & one 1cc per 10# for days 2, 3, 4 and 5 for a preventative dose. Repeat every 21 days.
Thank you! Is the repeat every 21 until their weaned or?

http://www.thomahomestead.weebly.com

Quick Reply